SAU Community

Leather Retrim Install

MANWHORE

The Aim of this thread

Ok guys, in anticipation of the premade leather covers coming in, i've started preparing my car for the install. Basically, I'm hoping that this thread can help everyone out, including myself. Whenever any of us get stuck on anything, others can post solutions/suggestions.

Please understand that this is the way I am doing it and as such, I don't intend that people rely on it. Please refer to the disclaimer at the bottom. If you're unsure about it, then don't do it.

Removing Seats

It is probably possible to do it while the seats are in the car, but it seems easier to do it outside of the car. More space.

Firstly, I removed the front seats:

This is easy. There are just 4 13 mm bolts on each of the 4 corners. They're not very tight either.

Remove the back seats:

There are 2 bolts located below the bottom cushion. I undid these, then it is still clipped in. I just stuck my hands udner the cushino and pulled upwards.

To remove the upper cushion, there are two botls located behind the bottom cushion. I undid these. Then, the top cusion can be removed by lifting up then out.

Taking apart the seats

Ok, now that the seats are removed, I begun to remove all the plastic trim pieces around the seat. They were only held on by screws.

At the moment, it appears that the backrest can be removed. There is one bolt on one side and 2 bolts on the other side under the fabric. However, I don't believe it is necessary to remove it, and as such, I have left the backrest on.

I removed the headrests by just pressing the button and pulling them up.

Issues that need resolving

(guys, please try and help me out with these, as I beleive they will help you get a better result:

1. how do you remove the lumbar support knob.

2. how do you remove those little plastic feet that surround the headrest rods on the seat back?

Warning: Please note, I am merely just giving an outline of how I did it. Please don't rely on what i've done. I exclude myself of all liability, including negligence, because if you injure yourself or others, damage your own property or other people's property, I am not liable or accoutnable. This list in not complete and can include other things not mentioned. If you damage your seats, injure yourself, damage your car, injure others, blow up anything, damage any property, act negligently, whatever, I am not liable. The information presented above is just a diary of my install and is not intended to be relied upon

Edited by 97r33gtst-typeM

Guys, what I will be doing is updating my post as I proceed.

You may have noticed that I have reached some hurdles that need resolving before I can proceed. They are in the bottom of the post in pink.

If we work together and brain storm how to do it, then the overall result will be much better.

Edited by 97r33gtst-typeM

yep, the knob on the side of the drier's backrest.

U sure the knobs just pop off, man, I broke a mini screwdriver.

how do you lever it?

just to confirm, are we talking abotu the same thing? so if you take the headrest off, those two little black plastic bezels on the top of the backrest?

I have never tried it. but if are describing them and that they dont have screws or anything, then i would think they they would sort of pop off. Like most interior bits they should be clipped on. Im thinking they would have a latch like that of the interior door handle backings, where you have to unclip the plastic that goes under and in the hole. hard to describe.

But as i said, never tried it and im just assuming, not gospel.

some install tips are here from when i installed them: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...howtopic=124841

also, the guy who started this thread has PM'd me with many questions that i have answered, hoping he puts them on here...

some points

- backrest does not need to be removed. the covers slide over. you have to pull them over gently, moving each side a little bit at a time

- headrests were easy to get off, but tough to get the covers over. again, pull around a little bit each time.

- the issue of headrest install and lumbar knob... its not an issue!

...firstly once the back is all installed and perfect, find the plastic part that is the hole the headrests go into. simply grab a screwdriver and poke a hole through and slide the headrest on. rembmer nothing can be seen once its installed. you are asting your time to take the plastic bits off and try to install them over the covers.. remember they are seat COVERS not a re-trim

.. secondly on the lumbar knob... all you have to do is again locate the knob under the cover then cut a small round hole over the knob. then, simply stretch the hole over the knob. if the hole is smaller than the knob then the material will fall in behind the knob and it will look perfect.

everyone please don't PM me with questions that you have, jsut post them here and i will answer them if i can

cheers,

Warren

Waz, I understand that it is not mandatory to do the things that I am.

however, I just want to be as professional as possible. Of course everyone won't want to go to my extreme, but hey, as i said, i'm just looking to see if anyone knows how to take them off.

Cheers

PS: good tips for a quick install :D

Ok !!!! Yippeee. Today, I received the covers.

I began with the easiest thing first. The headrests. They're very tight. When I say tight, I mean tight tight tight.

I managed to get them on with the help of my GF. I found it easiest to flip them inside out and move them down bit by bit on each side.

There's something i'm not sure about though. There are these little white strings on the inside of the covers like on the back seat and the lower part of thr front seats. I assume that you're supposed to poke a whole through the seat and pull them through to make the covers follow the contours of the seat. I'll be contacting UAT to ask them about it today.

I began with the easiest thing first. The headrests. They're very tight. When I say tight, I mean tight tight tight.

I managed to get them on with the help of my GF. I found it easiest to flip them inside out and move them down bit by bit on each side.

There's something i'm not sure about though. There are these little white strings on the inside of the covers like on the back seat and the lower part of thr front seats. I assume that you're supposed to poke a whole through the seat and pull them through to make the covers follow the contours of the seat. I'll be contacting UAT to ask them about it today.

Mind adding some picture to describe the process of installing them? it would help alot of us in the GB from mucking around. cheers

Yep. Definitely. I will put up pics. I'm going away this weekend though and probably won't be able to give it another go until next weekend.

I've been mucking around for the whole day. I'm a perfectinonist,a nd don't want to just do a dodgy install.

I did the passenger seat last night the strings do go though the seat to keep everything in place. I used a bag needle seat is only about 5mm so its pretty easy.

cheers

sorry about the late reply waz, I've been away. yeah, if you have a look inside the covers, there are these little pieces of white strings.

they give the covers form. it is not just those little black straps under the covers.

Munna, where did you by those bag needles from? I've been looking for one of those big mofo needles

whoa, that was a quick reply. Tell me somethign else too mate.

you know the top section of the front seats, how it doens't have those little strings (every other piece of trim does), did you find that it sat satisfactorily on the seat? that is, it wasn't a big puffy limp thing?

I found that if I manouvered it enough, it owuld sit right. but then after using the seat for a few days, it would slide and look shit again.

I've thought about actually flipping the cover inside out and stitching that to the seat as well. Or possibly even gluing it on.

Of course, i don't know how to sew though, but my gf is helping me. I'm a lucky man!

whoa, that was a quick reply. Tell me somethign else too mate.

you know the top section of the front seats, how it doens't have those little strings (every other piece of trim does), did you find that it sat satisfactorily on the seat? that is, it wasn't a big puffy limp thing?

I found that if I manouvered it enough, it owuld sit right. but then after using the seat for a few days, it would slide and look shit again.

I've thought about actually flipping the cover inside out and stitching that to the seat as well. Or possibly even gluing it on.

Of course, i don't know how to sew though, but my gf is helping me. I'm a lucky man!

Got alll mine in now they look great very happy with them. backrest on front seats looks a little puffy not enough to worrie me though at this stage ill see what its like after a couple of days driving

cheers

Ok, I just got through with the poking of one seat.

Honestly, I don't think it's that bad. It didn't really rip the fabric, it just separated the strands. I believe that if I took mine off, the fabric would just manouver back into place, and it won't be noticeable.

Besides, most of the holes are poked in the seams.

Ok, I just got through with the poking of one seat.

Honestly, I don't think it's that bad. It didn't really rip the fabric, it just separated the strands. I believe that if I took mine off, the fabric would just manouver back into place, and it won't be noticeable.

Besides, most of the holes are poked in the seams.

Have to agree with that is no big deal you wounldnt be able to see it