SAU Community

Carbon Fibre Sheet

im after a piece of carbon fibre sheet approx 200x200 to fill the hole left by removal of the climate control and stereo in an R32 GTR. Im going to cut a slot out of the top of it so my Torque split controller and drag adapter can be mounted neatly. Any help is appreciated.

Paul

Guest Mashrock

where did u find the sheeting?

i was looking the other week for some but i didnt look too hard wouldnt mind giving some thigns a go either.

there is a shop in seven hills, that sells carbon fibre/carbon kevlar by the metre..

carbon is $75 a meter and is just under a metre wide...

only thing you need to make flat sheet is a

A) flat surface - steel or plastic is best

B) releasing polish (not sure on correct name- but it makes the resin not stick to that surface)

c) clear gelcoat (only if you want it smooth and shiney

d)resin and matting

you polish the flat surface with the non-stick polish.. paint on your gel coat then mix up the resin and apply using a roller to get the air bubbles from the matting.. dont make it set too quick cos that will weaken it.

then it dry for a couple of days then your ready to go...

i am also going to do my own sheeting for my centre console.. so if you dont go ahead with it Paul/Stace then let me know and i'll make a bit extra.

that price is for twill, for flat pannels you dont need twill so its only like $40-$50  a meter

i will prob go for a twill main layer then use plain weave for backing layers . going for looks and function with mine.. and twill is definately the best looking.

will have to chat to the suppliers, i have seen black fibreglass before so i could run a layer of CF twill then run black fibreglass under neath.

i will prob go for a twill main layer then use plain weave for backing layers . going for looks and function with mine.. and twill is definately the best looking.

will have to chat to the suppliers, i have seen black fibreglass before so i could run a layer of CF twill then run black fibreglass under neath.

you sure it wasnt just a tint?

a way to do it is to use a black tint in the resin ontop of your carbon layer after it has kicked

Edited by midnight

i use a sheet of glass for making flat panels....wipe wax over it a few times and laminate off the edge of the glass so you got something to pull it off from....i dont use gelcoat as glass lets the resin ride flat....use vinyl ester resin for glossy a result....for right angles and moulding i use vacuum to pull the material to the mould but flat stuff is easy

Does anyone have any nifty tips for making curved moulds for this stuff?

I've always wanted to try my hand at making a few things but always got stuck when it came to making the right shaped mould capable of the right finish.

Eg, anyone want to suggest how they might make cf copies of the plastic trim around the electric window buttons?