SAU Community

Xenon Hid Lights Conversion For R32

Ronin 09

Started my retrofit today. Morimoto FX-R projectors are almost the same as R32 projectors. Tapped one corner and drilled the other, went straight onto the adjusters. Tap: 5mm dia 0.8mm pitch (M5x0.8). Need AMP to D2S straight adaptors, which I didn't order beforehand so my retrofit is on a hold :(.

• 2 weeks later...

So finished up at 3am lol started at 11:30pm

Standard R32 - Morimoto FX-R

dyo5c7f.jpg

KOmNhYW.jpg

Tap this existing hole with M5x0.8mm

CZuWjbO.jpg

Drill then tap the bottom right hole

ztmYA3S.jpg

What you end up with

Jbqv6cL.jpg

fnwkYwy.jpg

As you can see, the FX-R is a bit shorter than standard. You can make up a mounting plate to offset the difference, but the gap doesn't bother me.

9whbRFz.jpg

4300K cheap bulb and cheap LED parker. Note the parker is more than 6000K i.e. blue

ixRsBPD.jpg

Need to adjust it a bit more. The hole you drill will determine the angle of the beam as well. When I do another set I'll put more effort into where to drill the hole.

8TuSZQq.jpg

lg8pi0K.jpg

Crap picture, but they are so much more better than standard R32 projectors, as expected. Can actually see the road.

wCTRhKb.jpg

I'm going to put the fault with the bulbs for the uneven spread. High beam is awesome.

I've kept the standard halogen high beam so I can flash during the day. But when the shield drops, you can barely see the halogen. They are 85W, which I'm assuming is factory as both my projectors has them.

Edited by niZmO_Man
images rehosted

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a crappy pic of the second set I did. Painted the cover thing to make it look like R31 style :P

wAZDmnn.jpg

On 25/03/2013 at 11:17 AM, BWRGTR said:

awesome work, do u know if there are any options with N1 headlights, i believe it uses reflector rather than projector?

perhaps fog lamp in headlight can be done as a projector

Get a pair of projector headlights and sell your N1s (they are more valuable). You can retrofit the Morimoto Mini H1 (or D2S) into reflectors, but pointless really.

• 2 months later...

I will be doing this to my R32 headlights when I get the chance (when I get off my ass)

Does retrofitting these HID projectors onto the headlights make them LEGAL and still retain the self-cleaning/adjusting mechanism?

They don't have self leveling, hence the cheap price. If you want OEM spec, be prepared to pay $1k+ for used headlights + parts. You will then have to put the squirters on your bumper (self cleaning). Self leveling is built into the projectors so it shouldn't be too hard to wire up.

^ I guess if they are smart enough to realise that it isn't stock. Some r32s had OEM projectors and others just non-projector types. You could feign ignorance saying it was stock OEM projectors but upgraded bulbs.

But seriously I have the stock crappy non-projector type - and nowadays I reckon I'm the odd one out coz I'm surrounded by projector types...

Yep. You can fit all the auto leveling and squirters, then have it engineered and they can still defect you.

But you're better off doing a retro with a Morimoto projector and 4300K bulb. Just aim them properly. Much better and far less glare than putting HID kit into a halogen headlight.

If you put anything higher than 5000K you deserve to get defected. Same goes with higher wattage. 35W is plenty, if you need more and you're driving around town, you need new glasses or stick to daytime driving.

Remember ALL OEM HIDs are 35W and have 4200-4300 K bulbs (unless you have a Merc, I believe the S class comes with 5000 K Osram bulbs).

^ I guess if they are smart enough to realise that it isn't stock. Some r32s had OEM projectors and others just non-projector types. You could feign ignorance saying it was stock OEM projectors but upgraded bulbs.

But seriously I have the stock crappy non-projector type - and nowadays I reckon I'm the odd one out coz I'm surrounded by projector types...

I've seen far more projector headlights than reflector ones on an R32, so you have an uncommon/rare car ;). Put some Blue plus 90 bulbs in, or grab a pair of projectors and retrofit them ;)