SAU Community

Xenon Hid Lights Conversion For R32

Ronin 09

Some points to note after reading some of the recent comments:

1. "Self Levelling" is NOT "built" into R32 halogen projector headlights. A vehicle will have "Self Levelling" (aka: Auto Levelling) if the particular headlight had a levelling motor attached to the back with a plug coming off it that was connected to sensors on the front and rear suspension of the car. These sensors measure suspension travel in conditions like:

* acceleration

* braking

* incline surfaces (up hill)

* decline surfaces (down hill)

* vehicle speed

This information is sent to a control box unit or the cars ECU (manufacturer specific) then relayed back to the motor on the back of the headlight to make adjustments.

Back when Nissan made R32's, Japan's HID lighting regulations didn't require vehicles to have

* Auto Levelling &

* Headlight washers

Not sure if Japan has toughened up its HID lighting regulations like Europe / Australia etc..

^^ having said the above, I'm willing to bet R32's DO NOT have auto levelling headlights. It's not as simple as retrofitting the auto levelling wiring and sensors. Where the hell are you going to get these from and how are you going to fit them to the car??

2. Of all the projectors mentioned, here are the Pro's and Con's

* Mini H1 6.0

* Honda Euro (aka TSX)

* 3" FX-R 3.0

Mini H1 Pros:

* Smallest of the 3 projectors. Plenty of room for fittment

* Projector also has high beam function. Can be wired up with OEM high beam to give a quad high beam output

* Readily available projector. TheRetrofofitSource own the production rights to this projector.

Mini H1 Cons:

* It's considered an. "entry level" projector. Light performance is last compared to the FX-R and TSX. Still 10 times better than the OEM projector

* Mini H1 uses a 2.5" lense. OEM lense = 3". The small gap around the projector may / may not annoy you. Better than the TSX gap

Euro (TSX) Pros:

* Wide beam pattern looks awesome. When mated with a TSX-R clear lense it produces an awesome blue "colour band" than the FX-R and Mini H1 can't match.

* Medium sized projector that has more fittment room than the FX-R

Euro (TSX) Cons:

* Not an easily projector to find in RHD format. You need to know where to look ;P

* To get that blue "colour band" you have to purchase a TSX-R clear lense. More money ontop

* It's a low beam only projector. No high beam function means it falls behind the Mini H1 & FX-R

* Uses a 2.5" lense which will result in a small gap around the projector. Worse than the Mini H1

3" FX-R Pros:

* Uses a 3" size lense just like OEM. No gaps

* Wide beam pattern,, Already comes with a clear lense do nice & sharp out of the box (just like the Mini H1)

* Also has high beam function

* Readily available from TheRetrofofitSource, who also have the production rights to this projector

3" FX-R Cons:

* The biggest of all 3 projectors. Less room toake adjustments

Projector bulb types:

* Mini H1 = HID H1 bulb

* Euro ( TSX) = D2S bulb

* 3" FX-R = D2S bulb

If you get defected then you can convert back to halogen:

* Mini H1 = halogen H1 bulb

* Euro (TSX) = halogen H1 bulb with metal convertion washers from compliance workshops

* 3" FX-R = halogen H1 bulb with metal convertion washers from compliance workshops

• Like 2

^^ having said the above, I'm willing to bet R32's DO NOT have auto levelling headlights. It's not as simple as retrofitting the auto levelling wiring and sensors. Where the hell are you going to get these from and how are you going to fit them to the car??

That was my point. If you want the auto-levelling function, good luck. Only way is to maybe find a wreck and hope everything works.

FX-R is a big unit, but it goes into R32 housing with minimal fuss. I bought three! lol

I also have H1 Mini and D2S Mini. I think the FX-R will struggle to fit into R31 projector.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Guys, just wanted to throw this HID kit out there:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280831816424?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Bought it for less than $35 delivered!

I've had them installed in my car for just over a week now and they've been great. They're a direct fit (H3C) into an R32 GTST, not sure about others. Highly recommend this kit for the money though!

I just threw out "Hyluxtek" ballast #2 which blew up. My car has relays so it's not like it's getting clean voltage. The kit was ~$150.

That $35 kit won't last. I know, I threw two pairs of their kind in the bin after 1-2 months of service.

Also, since you have R32 projectors, you must be loving the pencil beam :P

• 7 months later...

That $35 kit won't last. I know, I threw two pairs of their kind in the bin after 1-2 months of service.

Also, since you have R32 projectors, you must be loving the pencil beam :P

+1

I bought an $80 kit a few years ago, then later on bought a near $200 kit from the states and while the first kit hasn't failed or given me any issues, it is nowhere near as good as the more expensive kit. It's a fairly massive difference between the two. The expensive kit heats up to full light output in about 1/10th of the time of the cheap kit. Seen as the cheap kit is on my low beams I don't care so much but if it ever fails I'll replace it with the same kit as I have in the high beams

I can see things now!

A lot of pain and suffering but in the end it's worth it when everything shines bright.

Used Morimoto Mini H1 6.0 kit into R32 GTR projector headlights

ZukvlJ7.jpg

If you think Mini H1's are good... You'll be blown away with:

* RX330 non-AFS projectors with E30 clear lenses / Osram 66240 D2S Nightbreaker's / OEM Denso slim ballasts

or

* RX350 BiXenon projectors with STi-R clear lenses / Osram 66240 D2S Nightbreaker's / OEM Denso slim ballasts

^^ that's what you call high performance lighting

If you think Mini H1's are good... You'll be blown away with:

* RX330 non-AFS projectors with E30 clear lenses / Osram 66240 D2S Nightbreaker's / OEM Denso slim ballasts

or

* RX350 BiXenon projectors with STi-R clear lenses / Osram 66240 D2S Nightbreaker's / OEM Denso slim ballasts

^^ that's what you call high performance lighting

Compared to what my stock R32 projectors were putting out, the Minis are amazing.

If they blow up I might consider RX350 projectors.