SAU Community

Buyer's Guide - The Nissan C34 Stagea

GoldZilla

Hello all,

As I've mentioned in previous threads, here is a "STICKIED" link to all your Stagea buying tips on what to look for, and most of the stuff you will find useful in making your choices!

Anyone can add to the thread, and I will make an effort to regularly add all of the most important stuff to this first post so potential buyers don't have to read the whole lot to get the information they need. Oh, and if I get something wrong, please let me know...

So, here goes:

BODYWORK AND CHASSIS

Check for:

* Rust and/or paint bubbling and peeling under the door wing mirrors;

* Rust around the strut towers, where the strut tower brace is bolted down;

* Rust and/or paint bubbling and peeling in and around the sunroof runners (if fitted with a sunroof);

* Condition of door seals and rust where the seals attach to the body;

* Rust on the door and boot hinges;

* Rust in the spare wheel cavity...

Body Dimensions:

* Exterior Dimensions (LxWxH), mm: 4800 x 1755 x 1495

* Wheel base, mm: 2720

* Track (F/R), mm: 1460 / 1515

* Ground clearance, mm: 145

* Curb vehicle weight, kg: 1620-1660

* Seating capacity, persons: 5

* Doors number: 5

* Min.turning radius, m: 5.3

* Fuel tank capacity, l: 68

ENGINE & DRIVELINE

Check for:

* Is the colour of the oil a really dark brown? (Worse still, if it's whitish, see the next point) If the oil is dark brown and really thick instead of smooth and runny, then it may indicate that it hasn't been changed in a while, or that there is excessive engine wear.

* Water in the oil (is the oil under the cap milky and white, instead of a darkish brown? This could indicate a blown head gasket, or worse);

* Bubbles in the radiator fluid (obviously, check this when the engine is still cold, usually just after you've started it);

* Is the idle smooth? This could be a minor issue with some loose/damaged vacuum hoses, but it also could be a lot worse...

Engine Specs - Series I (1996 - July 1998). This is for the 25t RS-Four, as the most commonly seen version here in Australia:

* RB25DET engine, 2.5 litres, DOHC, 24-valve, turbocharged, same basic specs as a series II R-33 Skyline GTS25t;

* 173kW @ 6400rpm, 275Nm @ 4800rpm - figures quoted are at the flywheel;

* E-AT Electronically-controlled four-speed automatic with overdrive and electronic lock-up torque converter;

* ATESSA-ETS electronically-controlled four wheel drive... There was no manual option in the Series I.

Engine Specs - Series II (August 1998 - 2001). Once again, this is for the 25t RS-Four.

* RB25DET Neo engine, 2.5 litres, DOHC, 24-valve, turbocharged, same basic specs as an R-34 Skyline GTt;

* 206kW @ 6400rpm, 333Nm @ 3200rpm (or 343Nm @ 3200rpm in RS-Four S manual) - figures quoted are at the flywheel;

* E-ATx Electronically-controlled four-speed automatic with overdrive and electronic lock-up torque converter; or

* M-ATx E-AT Electronically-controlled four-speed automatic with overdrive and electronic lock-up torque converter and Tiptronic function; or

* 5-speed manual

FACTORY FEATURES AND OPTIONS

All Stageas have:

* Power windows;

* Power mirrors (including a fold-in feature for parking in tight spaces);

* Driver's and Passenger's SRS airbags;

* Roof rails;

* Reclinable and fold-down (by use of a nifty handle in the luggage bay) rear seats, with a centre fold-down arm rest;

* Climate control air-conditioning;

* Electronic odometer and dual trip-meters;

* Various hooks and tie-down points in the luggage bay so your cargo doesn't go flying around;

* Tilt-adjustable steering column;

* 12v lighter socket in the rear luggage area;

* Leather steering wheel;

* Front fog lamps;

* Front, variable intermittent windscreen wipers;

* Rear window wiper;

* Front spoiler;

* UV-cutting glass (front doors and windscreen) - all models;

* Dual cup-holders in the dashboard;

* Keyless entry;

Commonly fitted Optional Extras include:

* Front centre arm rest, some of which can be opened towards either the driver or passenger;

* Luggage bay roll-out cover;

* Luggage bay safety net;

* Privacy glass (rear doors and rear luggage area) - RS models and above;

* Dual sunrooves (front one is tilt and slide, rear is a slide-only);

* Electric, self-closing rear door (boot)...

Other, less common Stagea Optional Extras include:

* Leather seats and interior trims;

* Electric seats (only available with the leather option)...

* Extra 12v bayonet-style sockets on the left side of the luggage area, the inside of the luggage area door and the D-pillar for bayonet-fit accessories such as a torch, etc.;

* Limited Slip Differential (manual RS Four S models)

CHASSIS CODES

Model:......................Driveline:...............Engine:..............Chassi

Code:

RS Four S..................AWD manual..........RB25DET Neo......WGNC34

RS Four V..................AWD......................RB25DET............WGNC34

RS Four.....................AWD......................RB25DET............WGNC34

RS............................RWD......................RB25DET............WGC34

25X Four...................AWD.......................RB25DE.............WGNC34

25G Four...................AWD.......................RB25DE.............WGNC34

25X..........................RWD.......................RB25DE.............WGC34

25G..........................RWD.......................RB25DE.............WGC34

20G..........................RWD.......................RB20DE.............WHC34

So, basically, when it comes to model spec, "RS" is anything turbo, "RS Four" is turbo AWD, "Four" is any AWD, and "RS Four S" is turbo AWD with manual (series 2 only, and there were NO turbo RWDs).

As far as chassis codes, series 1 all had an "E-" prefix (such as E-WHC34), and series 2 all had the "GF-" prefix (such as GF-WGNC34).

WHC = RB20DE power (the lowest model and in one spec level and RWD only)

WGC = RB25DE or RB25DET power, and RWD only

WGNC = RB25DE or RB25DET power, AWD.

So, H = RB20 power, G = RB25 power, and GN = RB25 + AWD.

All this info was found RIGHT HERE, and I will update the first post when I have time with more specific details regarding release dates, spec levels, and options.

COLOUR AND TRIM

Exterior Colours:

* Bayside Blue (TV-2)

* Sonic Silver (KR-4)

* Black Pearl (GV-1)

* Lightning Yellow (EV-1)

* Sherwood Green Pearl (DR-2)

* Active Red (AR-2)

* White Pearl (QT-1)

Edited by GoldZilla

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, i have a feeling mine is pretty base line

No electric boot

No interior options (though, i find the std stereo speakers really good compared to other cars ive listened in...could have been changed, havnt looked)

No body kit at all (at least i got the lower front lip)

I know the Series 1 RS Four comes with 15" Wheels and the RS Four-V comes with 16" wheels.

Also, the RS Four-V comes with the double din CD/Cassette player, while the RS Four only has the Cassette/Radio

These are the 2 main ways to tell the RS Four and the RS Four-V apart

I have factory tweaters in the A-columns, which isn't a standard feature

I've also just been made aware Series 2 RS Four come standard with Xenon headlights. Does someone with an S2 want to confirm this?

Great info ppl's! Never knew I had a RS Four-V...... got all the standard features and all the Optional Extras.

Plus I got the rust by the mirrors on both front doors, but none elsewhere from what I can tell.

Edited by bwilkeson

Well, i got the RSFour then

Doesnt bother me, keep the kg's down :)

Stupid Vicroads put my vehicle tare mass at 1350. Annoying when there are p plater power-to-weight laws here in Victoria, when the car really weighs ~1600kg

Some Stagea Reviews from magazines contained in this link.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...showtopic=91842

I got the electric self closing boot option, and roll cover. But no net. Actually thinking of getting a cage like u can get for commo's and fords due to safety reasons.

Also got the rust under the mirrors ... well for another 2days then it'll be gone!! :)

Cages are dangerous, ie if you or a child is in the boot and the door closes...... a child could die, due to the heat buildup in our Aussie summer.

Make sure you get an 'approved' safety cage if thats the way you want to go.

I think forum member GTR Familia was selling cargo barriers at one stage?

Edited by bwilkeson

Yeah i bought a set of cover and netting off him. works wel, you can mount them a few different ways depending on what you're putting in the back

you can set it up a way so you can have a bit of a parcel shelf for kids to put books/pillows or whatever on. pretty useful and multi purpose

I've also just been made aware Series 2 RS Four come standard with Xenon headlights. Does someone with an S2 want to confirm this?

Confirm that Series 2 comes with Xenon headlights, well at least mine has and most others I have seen appear to have Xenons as well. Also got the auto boot closure thing too.

Yes, i have a feeling mine is pretty base line

No electric boot

No interior options (though, i find the std stereo speakers really good compared to other cars ive listened in...could have been changed, havnt looked)

No body kit at all (at least i got the lower front lip)

Dude, my body kit is the same - I've only got the front lip, but I LOVE the way it looks anyway. I've got no rear spoiler either.

I know the Series 1 RS Four comes with 15" Wheels and the RS Four-V comes with 16" wheels.

Also, the RS Four-V comes with the double din CD/Cassette player, while the RS Four only has the Cassette/Radio

These are the 2 main ways to tell the RS Four and the RS Four-V apart

I have factory tweaters in the A-columns, which isn't a standard feature

Cool, thanks for that Terminal.

So I'm guessing RS-Four has ATESSA AWD, but is a very basic spec level? Are the 15's alloys as well, or steelies with wheel covers?

Mine looks to be an RS Four V (with the 5spd conversion, of course!). I have the 16's, the electric boot-locking, a double-DIN cd/cassette/radio, and factory tweeters in the A-pillar. But I've already blown my speakers because it just doesn't play loud enough!!!

Thanks for the info guys, and keep it coming! :D

I will be adding and/or modifying the list over the next few days...

Cheers,

Nick T.

All RS Fours have the same ATESSA, but it's not up to the spec of the GTR's. smaller axels and diffs i think.

But remembering hte Pulsar GTiR has ATESSA too, it's just a different driveline, so i think the ATESSA system is the same, it's just the driveline that makes the difference

Goldzilla, great thread.... as for speakers; ditch 'em. The Clarion stock speakers are 15w and pretty 'bad'. With me stereo install Ive put in 4 door speakers, amp & sub, and disconnected the A-pillar tweaters. MUCH better.... :D

Brendan