SAU Community

Alarms And Immobilisers Questions...

GoldZilla

Hey all,

just wondering what paths everyone has taken as far as alarming their Stageas (and other cars, for that matter). I've done a search and, of course, everyone's opinions seem to differ.

Most people have Brant or Mongoose car alarms, but I'm not too keen on having a keypad if I get the Brant one (although that is not their only option, as I've discovered after a bit of research).

I've already got a price for the Mongoose M80 (approx $680 fitted) with a window lift kit, and am going to do some research and make some calls regarding Black Widow, Rhino, and a few shops around Parramatta, Blacktown and the Hills areas.

My old man's got an alarm linked to his Keyless entry, using the remote on the car key to activate it. Does anyone have this on their Stagea keys, and is the Stagea key a rolling code one?

Also, does anyone have a transponder-style immobiliser on their car(s)?

Thanks in advance,

Nick T.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Stagea came with the Mongoose M80, and i've just had one installed in my R33. it's probably one of the better alarms i've seen. It's turbo timer compatible which was good when i got my TT installed. you can get microwave sensors with it, but the dealer i spoke ot said they wouldn't be very effective in the rear of the wagon, only in the front.

The VIPER alarm I got has a paging remote up to 1km away, If the car alarm is triggers or has given a warning chirp it will page my remote in my pocket and beep. I also had a microwave sensor added to the viper alarm kit usally used in convertables and an extra siren installed under the dash so it loud inside and out. The alarm cost about $900, maybe about $1200 installed with all the extras. To install it properly they need 1 1/2 days to 2 days to do the job proberly. I had to get it adjusted 3 times before they got the sensitivity right. Its the best alarm I've had so far. It also has AUX funtions like press 2 buttons and the stereo will turn on without the key. I can warm the car up without the key, but have to put the key in to drive off. The only downfall is every month or so I have to keep replacing the AAA battery in the remote. But hey its no big deal. This alrm also comes with a turbo time function, but I just use the HKS turbo timer as it has the auto time function. Also has a cool viper sticker on the inside of front windsreen that has a wire going to it and it flashes blue, very bright at night when the alarm is on. It looks coool.

post-17478-1128983561.gif

I know someone whos installed an autowatch alarm into this stageas.. Hes really happy with it also..

search on google aus for autowatch.. but i think the site is called autowatch.com.au??

BUt how come you arent keen on an brant keypad??

Good thread.

The only thing putting me off the viper is that as they aren't black wired, then they arent to aust standards and won't be approved by insurance companies, whereas something like the mongoose is.

Then again the viper has that many functions over the mongoose its not funny.

urrgghhhh....all too hard to decide!!!

Edited by NRGIZD

Good thread.

The only thing putting me off the viper is that as they aren't black wired, then they arent to aust standards and won't be approved by insurance companies, whereas something like the mongoose is.

Then again the viper has that many functions over the mongoose its not funny.

urrgghhhh....all too hard to decide!!!

I'm pritty sure mine is all black wires, the cheaper ones might not be though.

Black wiring means literally that, all the wiring is black, and "supposedly" is hard for a theif to deceifer which wire they would need to cut to disarm the system.

Emmanualt .... all viper alarms come with coloured wiring.

http://www.drdetailshop.com/V791XV.htm

Whereas the Mongoose comes with black wiring

http://www.mongoose.com.au/car-security/in...product_id=M80G

Most insurance companies, such as Shannons & JCI, want customers to have Aust Approved alarms to meet their insurance standards (as well as at least 2immobilisation points). you find most alarms that do meet aust. standards have only half the features others out there on the market have (like the V791XV vs M80)

Edited by NRGIZD

Supposedly those $400 odd viper alarms are actually factory 2nd's rebuilt then sold off cheap.

Oh and viper aust won't cover them at all.

supposedly!! (well cept for the viper aust part...thats true)

Edited by NRGIZD

• 7 months later...

Does anyone have a wiring diagram and/or instructions on how to fit a Viper VX 791 car alarm.

I bought one a few months back on Ebay - it came out of a Honda Jazz. Unfortunately for me the previous owner had it installed at the shop he bought it from and they gave him none of the packaging.

I have a sparky friend wiring in my Jaycar DFA & IEBC on monday night, so it seemed a good opportunity to do this at the same time.

• 1 year later...

australian standards means that all wiring must be black it also must have batery back up siren, auto arm feature within 30sec, and dual immobilizer that cannot be fitted in the same position , they need to be placed in different areas of the car(most fitters wont bother with the trouble and just do them in the same area)

• 5 months later...

I did a search on "car audio and security" forum and from what I can gather is that mongoose seems to be the best/most popular (doesnt mean the best I know), I have a brant on my car but I find the keypad a little annoying every time I start the car, from here I think I will be going for a mongoose MAP80G, I think the price is competitive and there are option you can add on turbo timer etc. I have really found the auto window up a great feature that I have on the brant I have now and will def get it again for sure.

Do some research and let us know what you got.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to GL Pro Sound in Essendon yesterday and got quoted $650 for a Mongoose M80 Alarm supplied and fitted. I'll need to install the turbo timer (which I'm eagerly awaiting for from eBay) then I will book a time with GL Pro Sound to install

you reckon that's a good price??