SAU Community

Pre-pit Checklist, Help Needed!

blacky

Hi guys.

I have a new car that I'm pitting next week, and I'm a little hazy on what is going to be ok and what isn't, its been about 9 months since my last import.

So, here's what I need info on:

1. Intake mods - I was sure it was one intake-related mod only - this car a pod filter and an aftermarket FMIC. Where do I stand?

2. Gauges - We have four extra. 3 in the dash above the glovebox (Air/Fuel, Exh Temp, and unknown) plus a boost gauge on the left of the dash surround (not in drivers FOV). The boost gauge is easy, can just take that out but don't really want to take out the ones in the dash - Are they okay there, or will they have to come out?

3. General electronics - Turbo timer (will take out) stacker controller etc, looks very untidy and I'm thinking maybe it'll attract attention - should I take everything out to be safe, or just tidy it all up?

4. Fog lights - has 4!! should I remove them?

5. Momo pedals

6. Momo steering wheel - legal size, and no polished surfaces

7. Japanese "Drift" gloves stuck over various things in the engine bay...

Thanks in advance guys, helping me too much here ;)

Blacky

Hi Mate,

To answer your questions:

1. Intake mods - I was sure it was one intake-related mod only - this car a pod filter and an aftermarket FMIC. Where do I stand?

----> The pod has to be secured in the engine bay, the fmic also has the be secured properly. I don't think there is a restriction in WA on number of intake mods.

2. Gauges - We have four extra. 3 in the dash above the glovebox (Air/Fuel, Exh Temp, and unknown) plus a boost gauge on the left of the dash surround (not in drivers FOV). The boost gauge is easy, can just take that out but don't really want to take out the ones in the dash - Are they okay there, or will they have to come out?

----> The Guages should be fine as long as they're not obstructing the drivers view on the apillar or in a location that may damage someone in the event of an accident. If they are flush mounted in the dash this should be ok. Or even low mounted on the apillar down low in the dash. I have a EBC on my apillar down low near the dash and it passed no probs.

3. General electronics - Turbo timer (will take out) stacker controller etc, looks very untidy and I'm thinking maybe it'll attract attention - should I take everything out to be safe, or just tidy it all up?

----> Making everything tidy is the trick and I removed all dodgy wiring from both the engine bay and the dash before taking mine through. As long as it is all soldered and out of the way it should be fine.

4. Fog lights - has 4!! should I remove them?

Not sure about this one. Again they should be mounted securely to the chassis. If you're worried it is best to take em off.

5. Momo pedals

Are they slippy? If so then it may not pass.

6. Momo steering wheel - legal size, and no polished surfaces

Should be fine, unless your model is meant to have an airbag wheel.

7. Japanese "Drift" gloves stuck over various things in the engine bay...

If you can then i would take em off.

In addition, my tip would be to give the car a thorough degrease of the engine bay and under carriage as WA pits hate dirty cars and will knock it back if it appears to be leaking badly or if there is a lot of gunk buildup.

Mate good luck with it.

if the momo pedals are aftermarket (which they are) and are metallic they have to be replaced with standard.

also at work we get alot of cars come in previous to going to the pits. usually for rego out of date and yellow stickers. we have to clean the under carriage to make it look like there is no oil/transmission/coolant leaks etc. it is tru if the undercarriage is dirty and is full of leaks or heavy buildup they will not pass you

Edited by mufro

I'd remove the momo pedals dude, pedals need to be rubber/ plastic surface......my civic has been thru the pits seven times. Now you only get one chance to pass before you have to pay another fee. You'll have to pay extra to have the pod and stuff registered. I highly recomend Welshpool, avoid Freo if you can............. :P

ive got a nardi torino wheel on mine, dont know if it originally had a airbag tho..

all the guy at the pits did was yank it a few times to see if it moved, but its rock solid :P

hey blacky,

this is what i know of the pits in my recent experience...

steering: mine went through with aftermarket personal wheel, but as others mentioned it depends on if the car is equipped with air bag one to start with and also will depend on if it is sevs/raws or 15yr compliance as sevs/raws need to be brought back to totally standard.

also make sure the size is like 36mm or something so when they sit in it they are able to view all the gauges safely, not like 33mm where the actual steering wheel will get in the way of the view.

pedals: take them off even if they have rubber cos its just a hassle to get stopped for it...

gauges: need to be taken off i think from what i have seen especially if it is mechanical cos pits wont like the idea of fluids running through the car...

turbo timer: mine went through with it fine, just keep the wiring neat and tidy.

fog lights: these will need to be wired to your high beam as well so when you beam the high beam the fogs come on at the same time. they cant have an independent switch which will just turn on and off.

intake: mine went through with the HKS mushroom so should not be a problem. mine is not mounted as well but didnt move around either. so if it moves around you might wanna put something to hold it down.

engine bay: take any unnecessary crap out and clean it if you can. appearence does make a difference and they will judge the book by its cover.

just as a side note, nothing should be flapping or looking like its gonna come off... use cable ties or screws to secure as much as you can.

i went to welshpool and they were nice to me so maybe its a good one to go to...

good luck!

masahiro

Hey guys, thanks for all the info, i think i'm a bit better informed after your contributions. I should've mentioned before that the car is a 1990 GTS-t skyline, so no airbag requirement there. Judging from the replies here I think its going to need at least a day spent on it to get it ready for the pits.

And as for welshpool, I can't really agree on their kindness, I would have to say East Perth is the best, but thats just me.

blacky

yeah east perth are good as well....

i went through welshpool with imports101 so maybe they were used to their cars being registered... didnt give me any hassle what so ever...

also my car is 1989 R32 GTSt 4dr so my info would apply to your case... and went through the pits only about 2 months or so ago...

anymore questions let me know...

masahiro

Hey Blacky,

I also have a nardi torino wheel on my 33 and it went through the pits no problems. I also had no problems with my nismo aluminium pedals when it went through the pits. They checked the thickness of the pedals and said nothing about them. They are very grippy...no problem with slipping.

BTW I will always take mine to welshpool. Went to East Perth pits once and will never go there again. They picked out the stupidest things that even the welshpool pits guys said was ridiculous.

• 1 month later...

Hey, when you take the cars to the pits to get permits for more than one mods and one of the mods fail inspection. What happens?

Do they give you permit for the other mods and let you go?

Not give you a permit at all but still let you go home and fix the problem and try again later?

Be a dickhead and take your license plate or give you yellow sticker or something of the sort?

im not sure on what happens when some parts are passed and others fail as my parts all passed in one go.... but give them a call or drop by in another car to check what needs to be done for it to be passed then the failure rate will be low. stock road is not bad as they gave me my permit.

if you get a yellow for something little like pod filter and you just got your car passed few weeks ago is there a chance of just driving in without paying or do you have to pay

I am pretty sure you will have to pay, and pay for the permit for the pod too. It will be worth while getting permits for anything else that you might need then for at the same time. That way you pay for one permit and reduce the chance of another yellow for something that you dont have a permit for. :)

Hey, when you take the cars to the pits to get permits for more than one mods and one of the mods fail inspection. What happens?

Do they give you permit for the other mods and let you go?

Not give you a permit at all but still let you go home and fix the problem and try again later?

Be a dickhead and take your license plate or give you yellow sticker or something of the sort?

You should be able to take the car away and fix the ones that fail (as long as the car is roadworthy), but you wont get permits for what passes. When you get the car passed, you will get permits for everything that they see necessary.

When I got a yellow for being too low, and not having standard seats it failed for not having enough seat padding, and for having a locked diff. They didn't give me any permits and sent me away to fix it. When the car passed, they gave me the permits.

Do you have to ask for permits before the car gets inspected, or get the car inspected then ask for the permits?

I want to get a heavily modded car through, and am thinking its best not to tell them too much, but would like permits for most things if possible, :angry:

Oh yeah, its for a rego swap too, does it need a full inspection?

cheers

Steve

sorry to just tag onto this but... my gtr failed for too low and tint, got that sorted, but also have a bride race seat now as a new purchase, whats the chance of getting a mod permit fot that ??? or should i just leave the standard drivers seat in for my final inspection.

sorry to just tag onto this but... my gtr failed for too low and tint, got that sorted, but also have a bride race seat now as a new purchase, whats the chance of getting a mod permit fot that ??? or should i just leave the standard drivers seat in for my final inspection.

Hi Whitesky,

I have bride seats on mine, and they said I needed a permit for them (permit says non standard seats). They didn't say anything about it, just checked the padding level, and strength of the recliner by shaking the headrest...and wrote it down on the permit.

Cheers

JB :angry: