SAU Community

First set of turbo's

HI all,

I'm happy to say I'm a proud owner of a R32 GTR. It's pretty stock, only a/m bits are exhaust, tein adjustables, strut and tower bar, remote oil filter and some nice avis 17" lightweight rollers.

Am wanting to extract a few more herbs out of the donk and have read in various places, the turbos on these cars aren't the best. So I am wanting to do a turbo swap for some steel wheel ball bearing units, plus a few other things. Can anyone please recommend some suitable items that will bolt straight on? :confused: I use the car everyday and want to keep it that way, but at the same time want to get it running in the mid 12's bracket or somewhere close. My budget isn't the best but will stretch it for quality bits.

Any ideas would be much appreciated! :)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The main choices for GT-Rs (keeping the twin setup) tend to be:

HKS GT-SS

HKS GT2530

R34 GT-R N1s

Garret GT2560s/2860s (some confusion over model numbers).

All are steel wheel ball bearing models and should fit with no modifications (other than the necessary gaskets, etc).

Lucien.

yep, all the one lucien suggesed would be good.

you can possibly get away without swapping turbos and still run 12 sec quarters.

I have:

stock turbos

stock dump pipes

stock front pipes

stock intercooler

tuned Power FC

1 bar boost

Apexi air filters

3 inch cat back exhaust and high flow cat

cam gears

and my car makes 253 rwkw (now altered to 247 for more midrange) and has run 12.8 (and I am not the best drag racer).

Have you used any of these turbos before? Do you have any rough prices for what these would cost?

Unfortunately, no I haven't used them. Rough pricing pulled out of my backside:

HKS GT-SS -- About $4k for the kit (to your door), $2k for near new used items (normally no gaskets, etc). (Import.

HKS GT2530 -- No longer in production (under the HKS label anyway). Usually a hundred or two cheaper than GT-SS. Import.

R34 GT-R N1s -- About 2-3K depending on condition. Local or import.

Garret GT2560s/2860s (some confusion over model numbers). - About $2.5k new. Local.

Edit: Import = bought new from Nengun/Greenline or used from YahooJP. Local = locally bought (obviously)

Hopefully discopotato3 will comment. Would be nice to have a thread with details on all of these common options.

Lucien.

HI all,

I'm happy to say I'm a proud owner of a R32 GTR. It's pretty stock, only a/m bits are exhaust, tein adjustables, strut and tower bar, remote oil filter and some nice avis 17" lightweight rollers.

Am wanting to extract a few more herbs out of the donk and have read in various places, the turbos on these cars aren't the best. So I am wanting to do a turbo swap for some steel wheel ball bearing units, plus a few other things. Can anyone please recommend some suitable items that will bolt straight on? :confused:  I use the car everyday and want to keep it that way, but at the same time want to get it running in the mid 12's bracket or somewhere close. My budget isn't the best but will stretch it for quality bits.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!  :D

Gtss's are very good for your aplication , i have them on my 34 ( much heavier than yours ) and i did 12.3 @ 113 mph with a 2.05 60 ft , my stock clutch wouldnt hold , reason for the slow 60 ft and slow mph , the car will do a high 11 with a good clutch . Other mods , full 3"exhaust ( stock dumps ),550 nismo injectors , power f/c , ebc ( 1.2 bar ) everything else stock .

The car did 12.85 stock ( stock turbos , stock ecu ) but with a catback exhaust and stock boost .

I have the stock turbos for sale if you are interested , they are slightly bigger than your stockers and they are ball bearing .

My car is a series II 34 ( novembr 2001 ) and it had 19 k k's when i pulled them off so they are as new . The car was very responsive with them ( full boost .95 bar ) @ 3000 rpm in high gear .

PM if you are interested in them . You can get new gtss's from Japan for about $3500 delivered + taxes .

I have the GT2560Rs bolt on swap turbos on mine ATM, the part number you would be looking for on these is: 707160/5

They have been advertised to buy locally from $1100 - $1500 ea, closer to $1500 being the going rate due to current interest in them.

Mine just did 315rwHP with them, but I have a few AFR issues at the moment due to retaining standard ECU, and no boost controller yet fitted.

Hi Aztec;

another option is to convert your existing units to steel wheel. as for aftermarket stuff i think the 2530's and the N1's have it, Sydneykid once described the 2530's on a street car as heaven on a stick but that was pre the popularity of the GT-SS and they seem to have a good rap.

the turbos you want are the gt2560r 707160-5 garret ball bearing turbos bolt on replacements contact racespec on this forum the last set i bought were $2400 and these turbos on my lightly tune r33 gtr can support 530rwhp with responce very close to std units if supporting hardware is set up right. I have run a 11.33 1/4 on these and run them for near on two years need i say more. (quote me if you like the best turbo combo money for return hp and responce for a gtr on the market in my opinion)

pete

Ok, here's a hypothetical.

Lets say I have a R32 GT-R that's stock standard. I want to change the turbos because its cheaper to change them than to rebuild the engine if (when?!) the OEMs let go.

I don't want to strengthen the engine or have to beef up the support systems. A bit of a boost in power would be a bonus as would faster spoolup. However I want some turbos that will leave a good amount of head room for power increases down the track (coupled with cams, gears, injectors, possibly even forged internals).

What would people recommend? :)

I'd be inclined to think GT-SS but the HKS tax is steep and having talked to one owner they might run out of puff up top post upgrades. 2530s are proven performs, but again there is an HKS tax (although much reduced as they are second hand). Moreover, I vaguely remember discopotato03 saying that the GT28 comp wheel is a decent upgrade over the 25 wheel. So perhaps the 2860 represents a better purchase -- and they are damn cheap compared to the HKSs -- but would they be out of their effeciency range on essentially a stock setup?

Interested to hear people's thoughts.

Lucien.

Ok, here's a hypothetical.

Lets say I have a R32 GT-R that's stock standard.  I want to change the turbos because its cheaper to change them than to rebuild the engine if (when?!) the OEMs let go.

I don't want to strengthen the engine or have to beef up the support systems.  A bit of a boost in power would be a bonus as would faster spoolup.  However I want some turbos that will leave a good amount of head room for power increases down the track (coupled with cams, gears, injectors, possibly even forged internals).

What would people recommend? :)  

I'd be inclined to think GT-SS but the HKS tax is steep and having talked to one owner they might run out of puff up top post upgrades.  2530s are proven performs, but again there is an HKS tax (although much reduced as they are second hand).  Moreover, I vaguely remember discopotato03 saying that the GT28 comp wheel is a decent upgrade over the 25 wheel.  So perhaps the 2860 represents a better purchase  -- and they are damn cheap compared to the HKSs -- but would they be out of their effeciency range on essentially a stock setup?

Interested to hear people's thoughts.

Lucien.

the gt2560r = n1 so nissan sold them on the cars off the shop room floorIf anyone can show me specs to prove other wise i'm happy to look at them as all the states i have seen show the 2560r and n1 the same. So there balance between responce and power is excellent and basically identical performance to the 2530hks which has a slight edge over the gtss in outright hp.

Dammit im in a position to replace both my turbo's as they are off and one is about to shit itself (says Garrett). Just before rego earier this year the front turbo shat itself and i had NO problem with ceramic dust sucked into the engine. I know it can happen but why sumtimes and not always?? Im very tempted to get another clean r32 turbo to replace the one thats about to shit itself. Not cashed up and not ready to get a/m turbo's. So im after sumthing till i do get a/m turbo's..

the gt2560r = n1 so nissan sold them on the cars off the shop room floorIf anyone can show me specs to prove other wise i'm happy to look at them as all the states i have seen show the 2560r and n1 the same. So there balance between responce and power is excellent and basically identical performance to the 2530hks which has a slight edge over the gtss in outright hp.

To avoid confusion I think we should probably get more specific. I believe the turbo we are referring to is 707160-5. Correct me if I am wrong, but the specs are:

TURBINE:

Wheel = 53.8mm

Trim = 76

A/R = 0.64

COMPRESSOR:

Trim = 62

Inducer = 47.2

Exducer = 60.0

A/R = 0.60

According to Garrett and GCG the 707160-5 is called the GT2860 not the GT2560. The 2560 name seems to be incorrect (and confusing :)).

By way of comparison, the stats for the HKS GT-SS are:

TURBINE:

Wheel = 53.85mm

Trim = 62

A/R = 0.64

COMPRESSOR:

Trim = 56

Inducer = 44.46

Exducer = 59.41

A/R = 0.42

And for the HKS GT2530:

TURBINE:

Wheel = 53.8mm

Trim = 76

A/R = 0.64

COMPRESSOR:

Trim = 63

Inducer = 47.7

Exducer = 60.1

A/R = 0.60

Again, if I got anything incorrect say so. Does anyone have stats for the R34 N1s? From the figures it would seem to me the GT2860 is extremely similar to the HKS 2530, but there are significant differences when compared to the GT-SS (at least in terms of specifications, if not final outcome).

Lucien.

This is all excellent info guys, helping me heaps so far! Just an idea, would it be worth someone doing a thread dedicated to the RB26 with all types of tunes and results, along with costs to give uneducated people like me some valuable insight into the world of tuning!!!

Aztec

Here are the specs for the R34 N1's

TURBINE:

Inducer = 53.85 mm

Exducer = 42.4 mm

Trim = 62

A/R = 0.64

COMPRESSOR:

Trim = 55

Inducer = 44.57

Exducer = 60.1

A/R = 0.60

Lucien, just add the two turbine wheel dimensions to your list. You can see there are some differences.

HKS GT2530

Inducer = 53.8 mm

Exducer = 47.0 mm

HKS GT-SS

Inducer = 53.85 mm

Exducer = 42.4 mm

GT2860/2560

Inducer = 53.8 mm

Exducer = ??????

Gary.

To avoid confusion I think we should probably get more specific.  I believe the turbo we are referring to is 707160-5.  Correct me if I am wrong, but the specs are:

TURBINE:

Wheel = 53.8mm

Trim = 76

A/R = 0.64

COMPRESSOR:

Trim = 62

Inducer = 47.2

Exducer = 60.0

A/R = 0.60

According to Garrett and  GCG  the 707160-5 is called the GT2860 not the GT2560.  The 2560 name seems to be incorrect (and confusing :rofl:).

By way of comparison, the stats for the HKS GT-SS are:

TURBINE:

Wheel = 53.85mm

Trim = 62  

A/R = 0.64

COMPRESSOR:

Trim = 56  

Inducer = 44.46  

Exducer = 59.41

A/R = 0.42

And for the HKS GT2530:

TURBINE:

Wheel = 53.8mm

Trim = 76  

A/R = 0.64

COMPRESSOR:

Trim = 63  

Inducer = 47.7  

Exducer = 60.1  

A/R = 0.60

Again, if I got anything incorrect say so.  Does anyone have stats for the R34 N1s?  From the figures it would seem to me the GT2860 is extremely similar to the HKS 2530, but there are significant differences when compared to the GT-SS (at least in terms of specifications, if not final outcome).

Lucien.

Well anyone how has a set of these turbos will tell you that gt2560r is stamped on the turbo with the 707160-5 also, and yes the part number on the garret site refers the gt2860r, and no body can exspand why the two numbers dont line up.

So for the time beening i'm going to use the numbers stamped on the turbo so people dont get confused and think there not got the real deal. (as when they read the name plate they know which turbo they have )

pete

An interesting read . Just so all can see , if anyone has a HKS GT-SS turbo can they post some pics of the turbine side at the exhaust outlet . The turbines these use are not as open in the blade form as the 76 trim NS111 (53.85mm) GT 28 turbine . I believe that a compromise exists with low spool or boost threshold in one hand and high exhaust gas flow (for its size) in the other . I don't believe its possible to have a low boost threshold and high end performance AND headroom for future mods . If you tie yourself into small turbos you will limit the engines power potential by restricting exhaust flow out and airflow in - no free ride here . If it were me whatever turbo I chose would have the higher flowing turbine as the first consideration . Crudely speaking the turbine housing is there to gather and accelerate the exhaust gasses through the turbine blades and duct them into the exhaust pipe . The area radius ratio size is varied to "tune" the gas speed for a given turbine size . The smaller they are the less maximim flow they have . This is why I prefer turbos that enhance exhaust gas flow and if anything are limited by compressor capacity .

Its interesting to look at the variations in the GT28 series (now called 28XXR series) particularly that 2860 707160-5 . I think I looked at it once to see if it had the same 60mm compressor as the (old speak GT28RS) as they are both 62 trim , but I think the cartridge numbers were different possibly because of different tip heights . If I had a clean sheet for all round twins for an RB26 it would have the GT28RS cartridge with slightly smaller .58 ARR exhaust housings for slightly better response than HKS GT2530's . With what is available I would take a close look at the 2860 707160-5 . I'll get an e-mail off to my contacts to see if any difference is significant .

Cheers A .

BTW as far as I know despite the rumours HKS 2530s are still in production and are more expensive than GT-SS, but cheaper than GT-RS.

Aztec: yep my car is an R32GTR. only thing it has is a fresh R32 spec rebuilt motor (doesn't really ad power, just means it's healthy).

Before I do Garrett list another 2860 turbo part no 707160-7 cartridge no 446179-54 which looks very similar if not identical to HKS's GT-SS . Both the 707160-5 and -7 variants look to have RB26 specific housings and note the divider in the exhaust housing outlets . The turbine inlets are more square in shape compared to most generic GT28 housings I suppose to match the RB26 exhaust manifold outlets .

We need Garrett to list compressor tip heights to identify the specific wheels .

As Arnie said .....

Cheers A .