SAU Community

Installing A Turbo Timer

Coupe-This

Hey guys, I am writing this up in order to help some people out there that don't want to get ripped off getting their turbo timer installed by an auto elec.

Now, firstly the turbo timer I installed was a HKS type 1 turbo timer, so some slight differances may occour :).

Things You will need :

Turbo Timer Wiring harness (best not to chop your loom if you can help it)

Wire strippers (You will need to strip 0.75mm wire)

wire connectors.

Side cutters

wire crimpers

Phillips Head screw driver

shifter or small socket set

Black electrical tape.

Pateince, and care !!

Now firstly you will have to remove the steering column surround, as stated in other guides on here. Now look at the back of the key barrel, there will be a 6 pin plug at the back of it, now simply unplug it, and plug the wires into the harness u have, and plug it back into the key barrel. Now before continuing, i made sure i had power and ignition still. So give it a try.

Now tidy up all the cables and make them neat under the dash. Plug the wiring harness into the turbo timer unit iteself.

Now, connect the earth to any metal surface. To know that its working have the ignition on, the plug connected into the turbo timer, and once u earth it. It should power up. Connect it.

( i installed mine in the ashtray so i ran my earth wire to the screws holding the gearbox boot down. Right next to my stereo one :).

Now, for the handbrake wire. This is where the fun starts.

take apart the gearbox surround, and continue to undo the centre console and completely remove so you can see the parking brake wire. Its on a switch. Now i unplugged this and soldered it onto the plug itself. But you can connect it closer to the dash simply by following the correct wire.

Now, get the ecu out, which for me (r33 gts-t) was in the passenger kick panel. Now i disconnected the battery before continuing from here on in. take the kick panel off, and undo the bolts holding the ecu in position. Now you can unplug the wires from the ecu so you have a little bit more movement (there isnt much). Follow the guide, cut the correct wires, taking lots of care that you are actually counting the plugs in the unit and not the amount of wires.

Say the diagram says the bottom row, 4th from the end.

You may have ||.| (| - indicates wire, . indicating now wire) The wire on the left will be the one to cut. I nearly got caught out this way so just take your time and care. Connect all the wires using the crimpers and connectors you had, neaten up all the wires as you see fit. Put everything back together again and enjoy your new fully connected turbo timer :D

Please download these files before continuing.

Ecu

Ecu plugs

Any questions please don't hesitate to ask :D

Best of luck !

• 1 year later...

Has anyone installed an Apexi Auto Timer with A/F rario,O2 sensor voltage

etc.?

Did you get a "Specific Vehicle Harness" with it, or did you make it yourself?

etc.?

etc.?

• 11 months later...

etc.?

No i havn't installed one but i have purchased one and do you have to buy the vehicle specific harness?