SAU Community

out goes the stagea diff in goes the GTR diff :)

StageZilla

hey guys well after my recent axle snapping of the stock stagea diff, well i presumed the diff had same axles as gtr so i got a gtr axle sent to me and when i put them side by side the gtr is like HUGE in comparision and the uni joints are twice the size, ill post pics when i get some spare time :D

so we have decided the piss weak stagea diff had to go, so once i removed it i open the back plate up to reveal a open wheeler POS :confused:

so that was even more reason to ditch the stagea diff and pencil thick axles :uh-huh:

well i just picked up the gtr diff/axles/brakes/arms/whole rear end pretty much for a bargain from a friend :jump:

on the weekend im gonna see how easy its gonna fit :( might all bolt in using mix and match of parts, as the rear suspension and shit looks abit different and the gtr has fork mountings for the shockies, but that isnt a real issue as i can just get stagea 260rs suspension from apexi or something as they use gtr diff :)

ill keep you guys posted on how it goes and only issue is whether the original 4.3 gears will fit in the gtr diff or not and if not i got a spare set of 4.11 front gears so ill have to change them otherwise :uh-huh:

cheers

Brad

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ratios are definately different, as gtr has 4.11s and stagea is 4.3s so im gonna try fitting the 4.3 gears in the gtr diff, or otherwise i have to swap the front diff gears to the gtr original 4.11s which luckily i got a spare set sitting in the garage ready if need be :uh-huh:

Good info Brad,

So the LSD on the RS4's must have been an option.. hmmm...

You'll notice an improvement in acceleration if you go with the 4.11 gears, but at the sacrifice of a bit of fuel ecconomy though :cheers:

J

Totally off topic.. I found out why my coffee cup leaves a bit of hot water when I half fill it.. A hair line crack in the side of it. It's had me puzzled for weeks until today when the crack is now noticable.. lol

well i been comparing the sizes of the diff parts compared to the gtr parts and here are the measurements :thumbsup:

Splines into hub

stagea 29.82mm

gtr 32.65mm

axle thickness

stagea 28.07mm

gtr 30.07mm

swaybars

stagea 19.25mm

gtr 25.60mm

rear brake rotors

stagea 265.05mm

gtr 297.02mm

axle to diff uni joint size

stagea 90.63mm

gtr 98.94mm

so theres some interesting figures showing nissan sure did save on the $$$ when selecting parts for the stageas :chairshot

also on a side note the transfer case in the stagea auto compared to a gtr manual one has only half the strength components and doesnt compare to the gtr as they only have 4 lugs pushing the clutch packs together and the gtr has 8 which is a huge difference, ill take some shots to show you's anyway.

cheers Brad :(

Good info Brad,

So the LSD on the RS4's must have been an option..  hmmm...

Yep, they were optional on the auto's, but came as standard on the manuals... So check to see if your (auto) car has one before you buy it! :-)

Ian

Yep, they were optional on the auto's, but came as standard on the manuals... So check to see if your (auto) car has one before you buy it! :-)

how can you tell?

well i been comparing the sizes of the diff parts compared to the gtr parts and here are the measurements :D

Splines into hub

stagea 29.82mm

gtr       32.65mm

axle thickness

stagea 28.07mm

gtr       30.07mm

swaybars

stagea 19.25mm

gtr        25.60mm

rear brake rotors

stagea 265.05mm

gtr        297.02mm

axle to diff uni joint size

stagea 90.63mm

gtr       98.94mm

so theres some interesting figures showing nissan sure did save on the $$$ when selecting parts for the stageas  :chairshot  

also on a side note the transfer case in the stagea auto compared to a gtr manual one has only half the strength components and doesnt compare to the gtr as they only have 4 lugs pushing the clutch packs together and the gtr has 8 which is a huge difference, ill take some shots to show you's anyway.

cheers Brad :D

so what your saying is that the 2.5 stagea doesn`t really have a gtr "driveline " to start with....thanks mythbuster

ps: autech stagea has different wheel offset +30 front +20 rear due to different diff/ housing width than 2.5 .

+30 need adapters to fit rear

it may be something you come up against:cheers:

how can you tell?

Pull over during a test drive and tell them you are going to check if there is an LSD.

Put it in D, hold the brake down, push accelerator until the car creeps, at the same time floor it and release the brakes, then feather the brakes.

Hopefully you get some type of wheel spin, look at the rear if it left marks, 2 marks = LSD :Pimp2:

Pull over during a test drive and tell them you are going to check if there is an LSD.

Put it in D, hold the brake down, push accelerator until the car creeps, at the same time floor it and release the brakes, then feather the brakes.

Hopefully you get some type of wheel spin, look at the rear if it left marks, 2 marks = LSD  :Pimp2:

Alternatively, and I've done this in my youth more than once :-), from a standing start put your foot all the way to the floor, and once you moving OK (say about 4 seconds later) do a sharp 180 degree corner (foot still flat to the floor). If you hear a cracking noise and loose power half way around, you do not have a LSD.. :-)

Ian

jack up the car front and rear and spin the rear wheels, if they both spin the same way its LSD if they spin opposite than its a shitty open wheeler :uh-huh:

good luck :rofl:

also thanks for the info jake32 :P also yes the stagea has zero of the gtr driveline in the series 1's, and series 2 manuals may have got the gtr 5 speed box OR maybe the tranfer case is the same as my stagea auto one with only 4 pins pushing the clutch packs together rather than the gtr's 6 (sorry i said 8 in earlier post).

same deal with the diff, maybe the manual stageas had the stronger diff like gtr's because manuals cope alot more stress than autos but im unsure as i aint dealt with them :P

well measurements of the gtr compared to my stagea one show the gtr one is actually shorter wheel to wheel than the gtr one but shouldnt be a problem when using all the gtr arms, etc.

we managed to swap the 4.3 gears into the gtr diff which is a bonus :jump:

cheers

Brad

jack up the car front and rear and spin the rear wheels, if they both spin the same way its LSD if they spin opposite than its a shitty open wheeler  :uh-huh:

Yep, I probably should have said that instead of my method... Don't forget to have the car in neutral when you do it (otherwise you might have a slight problem turning the wheels...).

Ian

Most Stagea RS4's have open-wheelers, the R200V was optional. Interesting how the driveline is smaller than the GT-R. One wonders if it is the same as an R32 GTS4?

also another note, i looked under a mates early model r33 gts-t and it has the same big axles as the gtr (this gts-t had hicas, dunno if that changes things) but its a manual so im wondering if the auto gts-t came with the weaker axles and unis etc?

also an update i been cleaning up this mess of a rear end i got and heres a piccy of the brake hubs, one i cleaned and the other is how it looked when i got it :(

cheers

Brad