SAU Community

I found a good cheap boost controller for $22!!!

Ok I posted a thread here about one of these but no one had tried one so i bought one to see how it goes.

I have previously tried 3 boost controllers and this is equally as cood as the Electronic boost controller i had.

Greddy cabin pnumatic bleed valve. spiked like shite and wasnt too good.

Atomic GFB bleed valve. was a little better but still spiked.

GRID single stage electronic boost controller. it was very good and did not spike and it was very accurate.

The one i just bought is a mechanical/pnumatic controller and is well made.

53_1_b.jpg

i drew a little paint sketch to show how it works

lfgkjg.jpg

It builds boost INSTANTLY because the ball does not let any pressure through preventing wastegate creep. Then when it reaches the desired boost level it opens and holds the boost within 1 psi of the set level.

I set it to 12 psi and it does not spike at all! but it does bleed off 1 psi at very high rpm.

The car is now super responsive because it gets to 12 psi alot quicker and holds there.

I bought it of ebay and i suspect the guy who sells them builds them but they are very well made and work incredibly well

Just thought i would post my results for those who are looking for a boost controller. Sometimes car accessories are really cheap on seasonal Big W Catalogue.

UPDATE... this is for the 100's of people wanting to know how to install one of these buggars... Check (if you live in usa): Kroger Weekly Ad, or Myer catalogue.

R33 INSTALLATION DIAGRAM

Edited by CEF11E

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just gave the car a good hard test and i have been able to get the boost to hit 12psi at 2600rpm!!! and it stays there untill 6400rpm and then drops about 1psi close to redline.

I have an auto and the car just feels so much better to drive. there is tons more torque down lower in the rev range maknig the car more enjoyable to drive.

i cant belive its the same engine and turbo because it boosts so much faster.

at 4.5 psi (stock boost for my car) without the controller boost starts to build at 2600 and full boost by 3100~3200. and the car feels very laggy. The car is a nissan gloria and is a cruiser designed for smooth power delivery.

with the controller boost starts at 2200 and full boost (4.5 psi) by 2400. this means it is stoping wastegate creep very well. it also means my stock actuator sucks!!!

so not only can you use it to deliver more boost you can also use it to deliver boost much faster.

Its funny how sometimes the simplest thing gives an excellent result. i thought i would give this a try and if it was crappy i was going to build the jaycar boost controller but for 20min install and $22.50 i got a result i am very happy with!

I would say i just got the cheapest power gain ever prob about $1 per kilowatt!!!

:rofl:

I've had a similiar bleeder on my r32 previously.

It used the ball and spring method. I found it raised the base boost level by 1psi.

I would definitely use this style of bleeder again.

yep exactly... its a bit at a time process.

first you leave it completly open giving you normal boost level

(opposite to other bleed valves) with normal bleed valves the more you open them the higher boost you get.

take it for a spin, make sure no hoses have come loose and boost builds normally.

raise boost by tightening the allen key down 1/4 turn, go for a drive. repeat untill you have reached your desired peak boost.

once it is acheived tighten the locking nut in place so it stays at that boost level.

I've just picked one of these suckers up. :D

It actually works a little different to the one I had previously.

This one doesn't appear to bleed any boost at all but use a variable pressure on the spring.

The one I tried had a preset pressure on the spring and ball then would bleed boost in order to get the required boost. :D

a question i have an external gate now it has 2 nipples on it now i just got one of these boost controllers and i know it has to go some where so where and what nipple does it go on

turbo007copy4ay.jpg

bottom at the moment is connected to the inlet manifold so do i tee into that line with the boost tap the run the line from the tap to the top of the waste gate???

I've just picked one of these suckers up. :P

It actually works a little different to the one I had previously.

This one doesn't appear to bleed any boost at all but use a variable pressure on the spring.

The one I tried had a preset pressure on the spring and ball then would bleed boost in order to get the required boost. :(

So you're happy with it for the money?

It took 7 days for delivery including the 1-2days it took for my online banking direct deposit to clear.

I've attached a few pics of it. Initial inspection of the spring and ball was its rather decent quality.

The spring is very much so decent quality and has a heavy duty feel.

I'll hook it up within the next day or so and let you all know how well it works.

In parts.. You can see the small hole that stops the pressure being trapped between the ball/spring and the actuator.

Really for $22 its worth it PROVIDING it controls boost. lol I'll find out.