SAU Community

rb20 manual gearbox part number?

predator

What should an RB20DET box have printed on the side? Is it RPC71C ? Also it has #2 - there are meant to be 2 revisions in r32 so its probably right.

Just want to make sure its an actual R32 one.. not off a local R31..

What should an RB20DET box have printed on the side? Is it RPC71C ? Also it has #2 - there are meant to be 2 revisions in r32 so its probably right.

RP71C is RB30E gearbox

RB71C is R32 gearbox

Got both of these in the garage. Another difference is that the R32 type has a lot more ribbing on the outside surface of the bellhousing.

damn.. definitely RP71C .. although it seems to have a fair bit of ribbing along the bellhousing. It also seems to have a GTS-T shifter on it, unless that has been swapped over to make it look authentic? Which ones are the earlier red top ones? Is it possible its off an early RB20?

Can somebody post a picture of one outside the car?

damn.. definitely RP71C .. although it seems to have a fair bit of ribbing along the bellhousing.  It also seems to have a GTS-T shifter on it, unless that has been swapped over to make it look authentic? Which ones are the earlier red top ones? Is it possible its off an early RB20?

Can somebody post a picture of one outside the car?

A lot of parts are interchangeable. Here's thread on SDU that shows a picture of a GTSt gearbox plus has lots of other useful info:

http://forums.skylinesdownunder.co.nz/show...hlight=5th+gear

Hmm.. thats mostly the internals though - but thanks.

Here is a shot, if this helps. It does have a fair bit of ribbing though, like I was saying. As you can tell, its been labelled RB20 box. The guy I bought it off bought it himself as an "rb20 box" off a parts place, so i don't think he was trying to rip me off, he just didn't know himself. Either way I guess $400 for either box is a decent price, so I'm not too peeved.

I have read that the proper rb20 has different synchros, and that is the main difference? Its only fairly temporary until i have the funds for an rb25 box, so as long as it doesn't self destruct I'm hoping it should be ok for 6-12months.

From another forum - not sure whether its correct.. this is why its confusing.. lots of conflicting info out there.

RP17C is the code for the smaller 5speed gearbox from the rb20, and rb30 skylines and im pretty sure vl too

its followed by a revision number #1 or #2

the RP17C nor the revision number identify the internals of the gearbox (r32 rb20 box with twin synchro 2nds and slightly different ratios, or r31 rb30 box are all RP17C)

Here is a shot, if this helps. It does have a fair bit of ribbing though, like I was saying.  As you can tell, its been labelled RB20 box. The guy I bought it off bought it himself as an "rb20 box" off a parts place, so i don't think he was trying to rip me off, he just didn't know himself.  Either way I guess $400 for either box is a decent price, so I'm not too peeved.

Looks identical to the R32 RB20DET gb I've just done a strip and check on - but it has RB71C on the side. OTOH, an original R31 Silhouete gearbox I have has RP71C on the side, plus a few others I have seen/worked on had the same.

Anyway, that gearbox is from an RB20DET powered car AFAIC - no RB30 gearbox I've seen has that amount of ribbing on the bellhousing.