SAU Community

Top RB20 Club... do you have over 260rwkw?

i am fullboost from silviansw.com lol  

and yes it is laggy  

but when boost comes on boy is it fun :rolleyes:

so fun that it forced my bonnet to fly open and smash on the roof haha

dam

haha i knew those plates were familiar...

Nismo_Boy, sounds like an animal, could you scan article and post up :P

• Like 1

dangerous dave: sasha's car is using my old engine. Currently his set up is making more power then what i was in my skyline when i went 12.6 @ 120mph. And he has the potential to make even ALOT more power...

Yah, I know the engine :( I didnt think he had finished it, I havent seen him out for yonks. Does he take it out on the street at all or???

I would be interested to see what sort of boost levels/rpm & if the head has any work to make 260rwkw+.

I really think it is pushing the limits of reliability with the little ol' RB20DET.

Rev's will need to be very high as will the boost levels due to the inlet airflow restriction of the rb20t head.

Made 220rwkw need injectors, maxing out

Post your mods GTStR32...

Go ahead and post your mods dyno #'s up Roy!

Sk... could you give us some mods and stats on one of your old RB20's (you've sent some to me but it'd be nice to have this kind of data in one post... the reason I started this one)?

Sk... could you give us some mods and stats on one of your old RB20's (you've sent some to me but it'd be nice to have this kind of data in one post... the reason I started this one)?

As most people know I don't aim for high max power, for circuit racing average power is far more important. So my RB20's won't set any records for max power output. The best I have seen is 225 rwkw at 1.25 bar, that's with;

R32 GTR intercooler

Power FC with boost controller

GCG ball bearing hi flow RB25 turbo

GTR camshafts and adj pulleys

Split dump, no cat, 3.25" exhaust

RX7S5T injectors, Z32 fuel pump

POD, heat shield, ambient air feed

Standard internals (170,000 ks)

Electric fan

That combo gave me good power from 4,500 rpm to 8,000 rpm and that's what made it work well with the standard gearbox and diff ratios.

;)

Go ahead and post your mods dyno #'s up Roy!

I thought i must havce bored everyone with my rantings about RB20s:(

Std wrecker RB20, with:

- HKS Hyper Exhaust with 3" cat

- HKS Filter

- Bosch 040 Fuel pump

- GTR injectors

- Apexi Power FC

- HKS Type S Intercooler

- Apexi AVCR

- Trust TD06-20g with 10cm housing, Trust SS manifold and Type R wastegate

- 19row oil cooler and remote filler

The Pfc tune is meant to be conservative, and compared to another RB20 with similar power i have a lot less ignition...i dunno about fuelling, perhaps Chris can comment as he has the same injectors, ecu but different tuner.

The car ran a 13.4 @108mph with slipping clutch and 1bar. Every time i tried more boost the thing would get a miss, so until i get that sorted thats about all me and my car can muster:)

Winton this weekend so will see how the setup goes in lap traffic, i think i will struggle, with a clear lap i can keep it on boost, but in traffic i think i will be struggling to overtake cars:(

462Dyno5-med.jpg

As most people know I don't aim for high max power, for circuit racing average power is far more important.  So my RB20's won't set any records for max power output.  The best I have seen is 225 rwkw at 1.25 bar, that's with;

R32 GTR intercooler

Power FC with boost controller

GCG ball bearing hi flow RB25 turbo

GTR camshafts and adj pulleys

Split dump, no cat, 3.25" exhaust

RX7S5T injectors, Z32 fuel pump  

POD, heat shield, ambient air feed

Standard internals (170,000 ks)

Electric fan

That combo gave me good power from 4,500 rpm to 8,000 rpm and that's what made it work well with the standard gearbox and diff ratios.

;)

Do you think you could run that setup @ the 1.25 bar on 93-94 octane here in the states?

Useable is key... always good to hear differing opinions. Since RB25 turbo's aren't common here I'm considering some of the Garrett GT offerings... like the cousin of the HKS GT2835 which I've been told is the GT3071R offered at www.atpturbo.com (http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/po...Cat=&Board=UBB9 has some good results of SR's running this turbo along with the 2871R). Buying a house is first... but it's always good to see other peoples inputs.

Looks like 225'ish might end up being the goal I'm shooting for... but those guys are getting decent graphs with those 3071's in SR's...

I'm never tired of seeing RB20 info Roy!

The Pfc tune is meant to be conservative, and compared to another RB20 with similar power i have a lot less ignition...i dunno about fuelling, perhaps Chris can comment as he has the same injectors, ecu but different tuner.

462Dyno5-med.jpg

Hey mate, been really busy at work so haven't been able to get on here much of late!

Roy's tune is quite conservative compared to mine, heaps more fuel jsut about everywhere once on boost (bigger turbo kinda does that!) but much less igntion timing up top, I guess due to the tuner wanting to keep the motor alive under track conditions

My tune will need looking at as soon as my dump pipe gets finished (been almost 5 weeks waiting for a custom flange :P ) Mine now gets quite lean up top due to switching from a bleed valve when it was tuned to a EBC which is holding boost up top much better.

Last friday I had a run up at Mallala ;) It was getting pretty high on the knock indicator as soon as I ran more than 1 bar, even with 100 octane fuel it would get up around 30-40. I ended up adding fuel and taking a degree of timing out, but then fuel pump drama's set in and I was unable to run much more

For the sake of this thread - my car is as follows

Standard RB20 - 143,000kms, stock cams and manifolds

HKS 25~ turbo, 2.5" dump and front (to be replaced with 3.5")

PFC, GTR injectors and PFC boost control kit

tuned at 17psi with bleed valve, with boost dropping back to 14psi

205rwkw

Next mod is dump pipe and re-tune and see what it makes, anything over 200rwkw with a RB20 is excellent power

The ex-JMS yellow Silvia used to make around 250rwkw with some sort of Trust turbo

Clint32's car also used to make almost 240rwkw, and has run a 12.8 at 113mph

Good power at 4,500rpm would be nice. What sort of power are you making at 4.500, 5000, 5,500rpm, 6,000rpm etc etc

I have to suss out my ignition system, as i think its the cause for why sometimes my car goes really well, and other times it doesnt pull that hard and even misses from time to time:confused:

I have about 135rwkws at 4,500rpm, which is about 30-40rwkws off where i want to be. At 5,000rpm i have just over 180rwkws...that where i want to be at 4,500rpm. So rather then get the cams im just going to get the smaller (properly sized) exhaust housing for my turbo.

Then im off to the tuner again to see if he can lean on the engine a bit more. Problem is finding a tuner that knows RB20s, understandably the two i have spoken to have said dont try for more then 220 as reliability gets called into question. Im tempted to say dont worry about that, just tune the thing to mid 11:1 A/F with the sort of ignition you typically throw at a car, and it makes the power it makes. Dont de-tune it to get a lesser power level for reliabiltiy sake.

I would have been better off getting a hi-flow or a 2530 tuned normally and make 210-225rwkws with better response. Or perhaps tune the car normally at 13psi to make the same power?!?!?!?!

I dunno, the tuner did the right thing in giving me a car that he though was reliable, its just that i can be a stubborn idiot, and perhaps i need to kill an RB20 myseld before i start to accept the power level for std internals.

disclaimer

Just some thinking, its not fact, its sadly the thought of dribble that goes thru my head at night when i should be sleeping:(

Why would the safe RB20 power level by say 220rwkws, when...

Ppl generally agree that for an RB25 the power level is 250rwkws for hard track work, around 300rwkws for a road car that never gets sustained thrashing:)

So a late model RB20 in good running order that has never been boosted gets a big turbo. Diddo an RB25. Looking at an RB20 piston they have more meat around the ring land, and are smaller in diameter (ie lighter) then the RB25 piston. So on paper the piston strength seems to be in favour of the RB20 piston.

The rods, well to the best of my knowledge the Grp A R31 GTSR used prepp'd std rods, so they are good things. But std internally doesnt allow for aftermarket rod bolts and prepp'd rods so as a std item the are shorter then the RB25 rods, can anyone comment on whether they are stronger then std RB25 rods?

So then we have bearings etc. I assume (perhaps making an a55 of just me:() that being the same series RB engine, that Nissan use similar grade/quality of bearings in the RB20 to RB25.

Some things Sydneykid pointed out in another thread...

...Large big end bearing sizes so lower lower surface tension for the same rpm.  More metal around the bores in cylinder block and more metal around the combustion chamber in the cylinder head.  

.. Shorter stroke with very strong rods.  Short stroke = shorter crank throw = lighter crank, so stronger crank given the same material and manufacturing processes.  

Also shorter stroke of RB20 means lower piston speeds for same rpm, so less load on bearings etc for given rpm. Also has a lower standard compression ratio...

So the only reason i can think of why an RB20 wont reliably make the same power as a std RB25 is age. But if you have a good nic RB20 that has never been boosted and has been well maintained then that goes a long way, especially since many RB25s are only 18-24 months newer.

Again dont flame me, im not saying RB20 rule...i joke about that often, and trust me i know and admit the limitations of the RB20, its just that when you get thinking about the above, i cant see why ppl are telling me not to try and make 250rwkws out of my turbo setup:confused:

Admittedly the displacement and flow of the head work against the RB20, but if it is making 250rwkws at sane boost?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!