SAU Community

RB20 budget 200KW? recipe

B0oStEr

I'd like to start collecting the bits and pieces necessary to achieve 200KW in my R32.

I'm on a limited budget so I can't buy much big brandname stuff but I want to do it right.

My plan is to use as many 2nd hand/ OEM upgrade bits off other models as possible.

This is my incomplete shopping list.

2nd hand 3"Turboback exhaust with new Hiflow cat

Turbo VG30DET/RB25 ballbearing? (Bolt on?) Rebuild/mods?

R33 GTR or hybrid intercooler diy piping

440cc GTR injectors (cleaned/tested) and resistor pack

Z32 AFM

Fuel pump?(new one) model no.?

Cams?

RB25/26 crank and rods?

Boost control? w/gate actuator? EBC

ECU?(I guess reprogramming wouldn't be up to it)

I'm still undecide about a few things like whether I need to change crank/cams etc

Actually 200KW isn't that important. I'd be happy with a bit less if I had a big fat midrange without increasing the boost threshold too noticeably.

Any suggestions or ideas about whether my planned mods are up to it or unnecessary would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want nice mid range steer clear of the Vg30 turbo.

Its exhaust a/r is really too large for the rb20.

To get to ALMOST 200rwkw (possible 190rwkw) and have a nice mid range your best bet is.

3" Turbo back exhaust

FMIC

RB25 Turbo

Adjustable cam gears

Rising rate fuel pressure regulator *May not need this depending on AFR's*

Bosch 910 Fuel pump

SAFC or ECU Remap

With the stock turbo you will max out around 170rwkw but have a little more mid range over the Rb25 turbo. I've never seen adj. cam gears on a RB20 with the stock turbo so I am unsure if it will make over 170rwkw.

This is providing your motor is still in good nick and the exhaust is high flowing wich generally means rather loud when at WOT.

Remember different dyno's read different numbers. Those readings are from a Dyno Dynamics dyno in shootout mode..... 6 I think it was.

instead of spending on AFM, injectors, adj cam gears or cams. spend more on your turbo.

get a 2530, and ecu remap along with the support systems, cooler, fuel pump and reg, exhaust and you have 200rwkw already. with the ability to make more power when you can afford it.

meggala What's my best option for remapping the ecu? Do you have a part no. for a straight swap fuel pump upgrade?

Joel Point taken about the VG30 turbo. What KWs can the 270cc stock injectors support at std fuel pressure?

bbenny My original plans included an HKS 2530 but I thought I would spend less on the turbo initially and have money to make sure the support systems are up to it for a possible turbo upgrade later.

I might leave the stock turbo in there until I find more money but I don't want to push it too hard because I think it sounds like it could be a bit worn.

My plans are pretty flexible because I'll buy suitable bits and pieces as they become avaiable.

Anyone got a nice exhaust system to get me started?

To get 200rwkw i used the same as bbenny suggested:

HKS 2530

SAFC I

GTR fuel pump

Trust FMIC

full 3" exhaust

12-13psi boost

Doesn't cost a whole lot and you can make about 220rwkw with the same components and some more boost.

The best bet would be to go the 2530 but at $1500-$2000+ for a second hand one compared to the rb25 turbo that can be picked up for around $400 I would tend to lean towards the rb25 turbo.

Thats if you want more power now and can't wait to save the $$ for the better 2530 turbo. :D

Cam gears may throw out the whole value for money thing.. Still without cam gears you should see 180rwkw easily.

Reason I stated the Bosh 910 fuel pump as it will support up to around 250rwkw easily and they are cheap. Couple hundred $$.

The stock injectors with a decent pump and stock fuel pressure will see around 180-190rwkw. Obviously depending on the dyno.. :)

Has anyone been able to make more power or better power with cam gear on an RB20. Mine went backwards when they were moved...i dont think RB20s respond near as well as RB25s to adj cam gears

i've read (ZOOM mag) that if you use an adj cam gear on the standard exhaust cam you can get a few more final KWs' but alot better midrange power.... :burnout:

Bbenny, i've seen your car around the northern beaches a fair bit. Your current setup seems to be around the top desired power level for the rb20 before you get too serious, (rebuilt engines, ridiculous turbos). from your experience what is yours/passengers off the pants feel at WOT, and if you could do anything different to your current setup what would it be?

Thanks in advance.

what sort of power would i get with  

HKS GT2530 (thinking of 16-18psi)

FMIC

Im running a VL Turbo fuel pump in my VL

Apexi PFC

Malpapsi Adj Fuel Regulator

also how much power can the standard injectors can handle

I'm making around 220rwkw with stock injectors at stock fuel pressure.

2nd hand 3"Turboback exhaust with new Hiflow cat - Yep

Turbo VG30DET/RB25 ballbearing? (Bolt on?) Rebuild/mods? - Rb25 will get close, vg30 is too laggy

R33 GTR or hybrid intercooler diy piping - yep

440cc GTR injectors (cleaned/tested) and resistor pack - Don't need em

Z32 AFM -Don't need it

Fuel pump?(new one) model no.? - Don't need it

Cams? - Might get you closer to 200rwkw but $$

RB25/26 crank and rods? - Don't need em

Boost control? w/gate actuator? EBC - Any good ebc will do.

ECU?(I guess reprogramming wouldn't be up to it) - Remap will do

I make 180 - 190rwkw on my r32 with

rb25 turbo @14psi

Big turbo back hks super dragger zorst/dump

hybrid fmic

Blitz sbc iD II

Chip remap

Pod

You won't get 200rwkw with a rb25 turbo unless your real lucky. I'd save some money for a good clutch too and maybe some reserves for another gearbox, ive already busted one. You would only need bigger injectors, pump etc if you go for a 2530 turbo IMO.

neil What % duty cycle would you have at 220KW 100%?

Ronin Do you run your rb25 turbo @ 14psi everyday?

I don't want to max everything out and wait for the bang I want to build my engine with a reasonable safety margin eg 15-20% ie run injectors 80-85% duty cycle and boost at 85% of maximum safe boost.

At what KWs do injectors, fuel pump and AFM upgrades become necessary?

What OEM rb cams are a straight bolt in upgrade for the R32 Rb20det? I've read GTR cams work and that ceffies have bigger cams. What about adjustable cam gears?

Has anyone tried these mods on the Rb20?

get on the group buy for a cheap walbro.. $170 shipped.. BATML should be able to sort a front pipe for you and highflow cat..

thats a couple of things sorted.. probably EBC may be overkill if on tight budget, but might result in nicer boost delivery.

Hybrid copy cooler, or GTR cooler should do the trick there.

rb20det injectors start maxing out top of 200rwkw (remember they are not same rate as R33)

I don't think you'll get 200rwkw with an rb25 turbo, no matter what the other mods.. then again you could shop for a dyno that reads high :P

Don't forget the clutch.. also remember a small thing called braking and handling.. just as important as the power unless all you want to do is drag race..

neil  What % duty cycle would you have at 220KW  100%?

Yeah, pretty much. No matter how much we cranked up the fuel on the SAFC we couldn't get the AFR under 12.5 above 7000rpm. I'm just waiting on a Nismo adjustable fuel reg to bump the pressure up a bit and might knock some timing out if we have to to run about 18psi.