SAU Community

ECU for an automatc

FatJap

Hi,

I'm currently in the market for an ECU for my R33 GTS25t. My only problem is that I have an automatic. I was originally in the market for a PowerFC but have been told they do not support automatics.

What would you recommend?

Current Mods:

Hi Flowed turbo

Intercooler

Full exhaust

Filter

Bleed Valve

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of the guys have used Wolfs to do it, do a search and you can probably find some useful info.

I have read all the posts (several times) and I haven't seen anything that explains how the Wolf handles the igntion cut/retard on gearchanges. The standard auto ECU has this feature to make the gearchanges smooth and lessen the torque shock on the transmission. I have an auto Stagea and would really like to change the ECU but not at the expense of shift quality and gearbox durability. So can you please enlighten me? :rofl:

ok... this is a silly question.. but in an auto don't you roughtly know when the ECU is going to change gears on load? so can't you tune the ECU to do the correct ignition timing drop or reduction in power at those rev points? If not, why not?

actually: edit when i think about it.. whilst not on load or everyday driving, then you'd have a bunch of flat spots - not ideal. Is this correct?

i guess you could get the stock ecu chipped (theres a guy in the for sale section) and get the af optimized, boost cut and fuel cut removed, rev limit set higher and that could be the best you'd get for $ and effort

just an idea

Ive bin using Wolfs on S1+2 Auto GTSs for 2 years and we are not having problems.

Hi Steve, if you can convince me that the shift quality and gearbox durability will not be affected at all in the Stagea , I will buy a Wolf from you tomorrow. I have been holding off on the usual SAFC option (for fuel tuning) looking for an answer for ignition timing tuning.

I have tried cars with all manner of piggy back ecu's, Power FC's, Emanage, Exede etc. I have yet to find one that even comes close to the standard shift quality. Since the Stagea travels around the country with 1.7 tonnes hanging off the back, I can't afford gearbox durability issues.

The Stagea has/will have the usual RB25DET mods for around 200 awkw (high flow, FMIC, exhaust, split dump, panel filter). If you have a set of Wolf maps that will do the job, I will buy them off you as well.

PM me if you want to proceed. :D

Gary,

Have you considered getting a daughterboard put into the stagea?

Might be your best bet if you think the factory shift quality is already the best.

http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f25040797

Ed

Hi Ed, woooohooo that's a bit beyond my expertise. Whilst I have built a few audio amps and other stuff, I stay away from sticking a hot soldering iron inside an ECU. Maybe some of the electronics guru's on here might be more up to speed.

:D

Hi Ed, woooohooo that's a bit beyond my expertise.  Whilst I have built a few audio amps and other stuff, I stay away from sticking a hot soldering iron inside an ECU.  Maybe some of the electronics guru's on here might be more up to speed.

:D

It just reads maps from the daughterboard instead of the maps on the stock ECU.

Rev limit, speed cut etc can all be removed/changed.

I believe this is what Abo Bob has got.

Silvia boys have been doing this for ages.

Only drawback is you need an eprom emulator to tune real time and use map tracing and also a writer.

I think the both will set you back around $500?

There's plenty of free software out there written for daughterboards.

Here is one

http://www.925style.com/editor_direct.html

The basic theory behind retuning the factory ecu is to alter the fuel and ignition maps amongst other things like the rev limiter and speed limiter. These maps are the only thing altered, so the excellent factory controlling of idling and air conditioning remains intact. The main advantage of using the factory computer is the low cost, as very little hardware is required.

Taken from

http://www.sr20tuning.com/theoryandpartsrequired.html

:)

Till ive done my first stagea auto I cant be sure how they will go but the 2WD cars have been fine.

Thanks Steve, I might just use an SAFC for the moment and then when you have done a Stagea I will upgrade to the Wolf. SAFC's are easy to sell. :D

Sweet that's what I want....a daughter board!!!! Do the have one that's plug and play...just looks like it's missing a few components in that picture...if it's just a matter of soldering it in, I'm not phased by electronics.

There are a few that have been done in WA (34's) from Bikirom but Bikirom has stopped it as they are designing a new PCB that will have USB interface instead of RS232.

Not sure if you still need a emulator or eprom writer with the new design.

Last I heard was they had finalised the PCB and were waiting for a few test boards for actual testing.

Can anyone confirm that a powerfc wont work on a auto r33 skyline. I was about to buy one. Buddy club do make a ECU for auto cars tho

http://www.takakaira.com/asp/table.asp?id=...QRrNoOojlKmipLk

I also have a aotomatic turbo R33 and was looking at buying a after market ecu like the apexi pfc and been shopping around 4 a good price and doing sum research about them 4 my car and i was speaking to a company on brisbane southside called fist performance and audio and he said u can use the pfc on the auto and it will work but he has to order it from japan if wanted it .