SAU Community

450-500HP turbo, Internal or External Gate?

hi guys,

Im currently looking at a few possible turbo options for my car. Im aim for 450-500Hp at the engine with this turbo. Now i first was hoping to stay with an internal gated turbo to keep the engine looking at stock as possible, but after doing some research, it seems that a turbo which has external gate will hold boost better, and have lower spoolup times.

Now is this true. Im paranoid about being defected, so basically if i can have a internal wastegated turbo that will hold boost well, then id be happy to do that, but if my setup wont work efficiently with internal gate, i spose ill have to go ext.

Im looking at garrett turbos atm. Is it possible to somehow fit the stock heat shield over a new low mount turbo setup? Im sure i could modiy it somehow to make it look stock.

Thanks

Dean

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The HKS low mount manifold going on mine has provisions for a heat shield. But saying that it still wont stop a nice police man for defecting you for that non std. gear knob. U know, the big safety issue it is :D

With mine....well if you are gunna get pulled over for a bs reason...go the whole hog.

But yes bigger turbos were meant for external wastegates....if you wanna do it properly go the external. Im not saying people dont have good results though from an internal wastegate. The new Ford xr6 is a GT35 internal gate i believe...ford must have some trust in them :)

Regency (Transport SA) has final say. Engineers reports, ADR tests anything means nothing to them here. If they are unhappy with it, it wont pass.

They even defect ADR approved steering wheels, Engineers certificates, and emission tests (which here in Adelaide cost 2k+)

And you cannot take them to court, because they are covered by the law itself...

that's a hard one, 500hp+low mount+ stock looking? i think maybe you should raise your middle finger to the law! a 500hp motor is easier with a big single on a high manifold, but the first option i can think of is the HKS 3037 with internal gate, which may be hard to find.

if you are going to change the manifold go external gate, if keeping std manifols go internal. My reason being that the external gate position on the std manifold as per may last setup is not the best and its not easy to set up right. But if you are chnaging the manifold go external and mount it low down below the turbo.

Grepin runs a 2835r i think and is making 280 or so and its internal gate, JMS have on on their site for 2500 is a t25 flange but can use adaper to make it fit, this would be ideal. You will make a easy 250rwkw and shoudl do 300 just with a internal gate turbo.

I got a GCG 450hp turbo and it makes around 265kw at wheels.. Not sure on Hp, I think its about 360 or so.. Looks standard but hauls arse over the standard turbo.. But then again its around 2k for the rebuild so you have to weigh up what you want the car to be for before selecting your turbo setup ect..

I got a GCG 450hp turbo and it makes around 265kw at wheels.. Not sure on Hp, I think its about 360 or so.. Looks standard but hauls arse over the standard turbo.. But then again its around 2k for the rebuild so you have to weigh up what you want the car to be for before selecting your turbo setup ect..

$2000 to rebuild ur stock turbo or $2400 for a nice new twin ball bearing garrett GT30.

I know what i would be buying and did buy.

If u r serious go external gate, you know you will get bored eventually and get one in the end :)

Guest Robo's
$2000 to rebuild ur stock turbo or $2400 for a nice new twin ball bearing garrett GT30.

I know what i would be buying and did buy.

If u r serious go external gate, you know you will get bored eventually and get one in the end :)

Sounds cheap being a $400 difference, but show us the real costs in the transplant!

Guest Robo's
lepperfish what boost and mods are running to get 265rwkws? im running the same turbo and im nowhere near that power level!

Big Carl, i would like to give you a rolling run to see if the GCG has much over a stock one before i buy!!

Guest Robo's

Too me, external gate is the ultimate, but now your looking at double the price, plus a new dump pipe, so the upgrade isnt cheap.

I suppose you can use the standard manifold, new dump pipe and external.

robo youd have to beat my car in arolling run because you have 3rwkws more and 600rpm less lag! ive just had my stainless manifold fitted and will be getting the car tuned shortley will post my results. i doubt ill get much ove 225rwkws??? if i had my $2000 to spend again id go a gt30 everytime . yes more stuffing around to fit but you stand to gain more power in the long run.