SAU Community

Where To Buy Genuine R33 Coilpacks

No Splitfires have the track record that the OEM ones do. I have new OEM in my car - been running them at 1.5 bar for three years and expect they will continue to perform since my first set lasted 15 years.

That's not even the correct argument. Why risk buying yellow jackets at all, despite the warm fuzzies of forum trader and all that stuff, when they have a higher number of failures than Splitfires and don't save you much money anyway? I'd rather pay the extra and suffer the tiny failure rate of Splitfires than save 30% and near 1 in 3 failure rate that I've seen with yellows.

Couldn't agree more.

Mine and a few other members from here and HT have had Yellow Jackets literally melt. No refund given, only an ear full. A dodgy product is a dodgy product and should not be endorsed when it can cause major problems. This was with only 11psi and 1.1 & 0.8 gap me personally.

Now using splitfires on 13psi and they work fine. Have heard of a few people having problem with them, but it's quickly sorted and they've been sent replacements.

If i had my time again, I would have just bought OEM as bob said, they lasted 15+ years.

Edited by Stagea97
  • Like 1

Under the artificial limitation that I cannot spend more than $500 I would clean up my existing coils and/or buy some 2nd hand originals until such time as I had the money to buy Splitfires or new genuine coils.

Face it. $500 is co close to the price for Splitfires or genuine that the gap is almost meaningless.

Let's put it another way.....would you buy a known non-genuine Z32 AFM for, let's say, $100, given the knowledge that they do work and have been used by a number of people, or would you rather pay $200 for a known genuine one? The other part of that question is that the known non-genuine ones, whilst they work, don't have the capacity that the proper ones do, and therefore can't be treated as if they actually were a proper Z32 (ie you can't use the Z32 curve in PFC or Nistune). I see the Yellowjackets thing in the same way. They work, but they don't work well enough and reliably enough to justify the relatively small saving in purchase cost.

I went through two sets of "good" second hand OEM coils before getting Yellow Jackets.

If my car was my daily, and I had the choice of running YJ for $400 or OEM for $800+, I'd go YJ because 1. my car is standard, 2. I can get the YJ in a couple of days, whereas who knows when the OEM ones would come. If I was running 20psi on a build motor, I wouldn't even consider anything less than OEM. Like I said, my set has been flawless for 2 years daily driving + two track days, yet people have had bad experiences with them almost instantly. It is what it is, a cheap alternative. People had good results with them as well, obviously not on high output motors.

I'm not saying YJ are better than X (I'm not affiliated with them, not endorsing them), what I'm trying to do is give audience of this thread (a public forum) a view from a non-built-motor perspective. People with faulty YJ coils had good replacement experiences as well.

This post is for the poor/tight arses who are looking to spend minimal but have something that'll (hopefully) last a bit longer than something even cheaper. But these days OEM is a lot cheaper, so if I were to buy a set now, I'd get OEM.

This is what I got

http://bit.ly/1nM1xGY

Was told its original, looks original quality wise and hasnt missed a beat 22psi for 7 months- lets see how it holds. And got it under $300 delivered. Screw YJs---never ever again theyre rubbish.

If that is legit original, then great buy! I'm guessing seller got it from UAE? Wonder why they're $50 from there, but $100+ from Japan.

This is what I got

http://bit.ly/1nM1xGY

Was told its original, looks original quality wise and hasnt missed a beat 22psi for 7 months- lets see how it holds. And got it under $300 delivered. Screw YJs---never ever again theyre rubbish.

How do you know they are original? seems too cheap for anyone to make a profit from that sale

Splitfires I would think would be better than OEM, when you see 1000hp GTR's i don't remember them using OEM, usually theres a set of splitfires, for example the

Mercury Motorsport 34GTR uses Splitfires and that's what was recommended to me.

Edited by AngryRB

To me the only way to ensure you are getting genuine anything is buy from a reputable source.

I seriously doubt the coils you bought are genuine. There are fakes going around.

I'm glad they seem to be working for you.

I don't think it matters whether you're talking OEM or Splitfire when it comes to severe duty applications (your 1000HP engine situations). Those coils are just not up to the task and you'd always be considering a conversion to GM truck coils or some similar solution these days anyway. Can be done for $800 or so easily enough these days.

Bought new original coils several years ago. Factory boxes with all the right printing. Very professional. Lasted 3 months before severe breakdown. Bought Splitfires and been good for a year or so. Revs clean every time. There are fakes but the price will tell you that. Buy from Nissan and get raped on price. So that leaves Splitfires.

I've had my YJ's in my GTR for 2 years now, 332kw on 21psi and can't fault them so far. In saying that the car isn't a daily driver so not that many kms on them.

Car will be off the road for a rebuild now tho due to suspected 6th ring land failure. Good times

I've had my YJ's in my GTR for 2 years now, 332kw on 21psi and can't fault them so far. In saying that the car isn't a daily driver so not that many kms on them.

Car will be off the road for a rebuild now tho due to suspected 6th ring land failure. Good times

Yeah those are the newer ones - the older ones (before they had a printed serial on them) were a atrocity - I had 3x let go on me and because they were out of warranty I wasn't covered but Paul from PW ended up selling me replacement ones for $60 delivered.

However even with the new ones.. I had spark blowout at 1.3 bar at 0.8mm gap.. if I ran a smaller gap it would work but who wants that?

Now I run Splitfires at 1.5bar and 0.8mm gap - happy days.