SAU Community

Oil Pressure Sensor Engine Protection

Was thinking of installing the Haltech oil pressure sensor in order to take advantage of the Platinum Pro's engine protection feature.

Wanted to see if anyone had experience with the protection, how effective it was and get a sense of if it is a reasonable compromise vs installing a high flow pump and extended sump. $400-500 for a sensor and protection setup versus $3500 for the sump and pump.

Car is a daily, and I just want peace of mind to be able to track it occasionally. I'm not fussed if a hot lap is cut short by protection if it saves the engine. Already have a wideband sensor and lean out protection.

My 34 GTR is running stock turbos at 14psi on e85, but I'm thinking of going to -9s. I've already got an oil cooler, injectors, pump and there hasn't been any head work done at all (no cams, gears, springs, retainers etc) if that makes a difference.

The only protection against lack of oil pressure is cutting ignition altogether, ie switching the engine off. Even then it is too late most of the time, especially with an RB26. This is not something you want happening on the track with someone up your arse.

Personally I think logging the pressure is more important, which the Haltech can do, you will find the pressure changes constantly but pressure should never drop too low. If it does you obviously need to sort out your sump baffling etc.

• Like 1

Yeah I agree that your better off lunching an engine then being involved in a major crash and writing the car off.

Have you considered an Accusump? I think these automaticly output oil when your oil pump fails and indicate that this has happened. I'm not 100% sure but think this was one of the features with these

Would be a better solution IMO. Give you a chance to pull off the road and shut the engine down, admitedly not alot of time but still better than nothing

Yeah I agree that your better off lunching an engine then being involved in a major crash and writing the car off.

Have you considered an Accusump? I think these automaticly output oil when your oil pump fails and indicate that this has happened. I'm not 100% sure but think this was one of the features with these

Would be a better solution IMO. Give you a chance to pull off the road and shut the engine down, admitedly not alot of time but still better than nothing

I noticed the other day, the M3 BMW runs a similar thing standard, just a small one, perhaps 100ml or so strapped to the side of the block with a hose running up to the head.

I have been looking into these too as i have oil pressure issues under breaking and have probably already hurt the bottom end as i just ignored the warning and have done about 120 laps with it beeping at me under brakes :unsure:

Yeah I think the Accusump are a great thing, I was looking at doing a pre-lube system in mine with an electric oil pump and then found the Accusump and thought that was a better thing. But the price scared me off a bit lol. I don't have any issues driving mine around the street though so not a big concern lol

Yeah I think the Accusump are a great thing, I was looking at doing a pre-lube system in mine with an electric oil pump and then found the Accusump and thought that was a better thing. But the price scared me off a bit lol. I don't have any issues driving mine around the street though so not a big concern lol

I only developed a problem since doing more track work and actually having a set of pads that work lol

I would say the damage is likely done on this engine and IF it kills itself i will invest in a better system for the next engine... In saying that i have spoken to a few that have had this issue now and it seems to be a tricky one to fix with a wet sump setup :(

In theory the Accusump works great, because it can compensate for intermittent oil pressure drops, but it all depends on the size you get and the length of time it has to take over from the oil pump

In theory the Accusump works great, because it can compensate for intermittent oil pressure drops, but it all depends on the size you get and the length of time it has to take over from the oil pump

:3some:

The only protection against lack of oil pressure is cutting ignition altogether, ie switching the engine off. Even then it is too late most of the time, especially with an RB26. This is not something you want happening on the track with someone up your arse.

Personally I think logging the pressure is more important, which the Haltech can do, you will find the pressure changes constantly but pressure should never drop too low. If it does you obviously need to sort out your sump baffling etc.

Engine protection is generally programmed to cur revs to a certain level (3k), which I guess would still result in a big on-track slowdown.

But do you think the protection wouldn't kick in fast enough to save the bottom end?

Yep, the E9x M3's run two sumps and two oil pumps!

I noticed the other day, the M3 BMW runs a similar thing standard, just a small one, perhaps 100ml or so strapped to the side of the block with a hose running up to the head.

A well setup oil system is better then having the ECU cut power mid corner :(

Even if you by yourself on the track, having the car lose all power mid corner will upset the car and potentially cause you to spin out and run the risk of hitting something or someone hit you, as mentioned a motor is cheaper then the car

If you plan on serious track work fit an enlarged baffled sump and then overfill it with all the usual oiling mods

For a street car just fill it to the bump in the dipstick

• Like 1

i run an accusump and its faultless.

I also run an oil pressure switch on the oil pump as well as an oil pressure sender further down the line, both provide info to the Link g4+ ecu and if it senses the oil pressure switch has been triggered but oil pressure is still up (worst case oil pump failure, accusump discharging) then it engages engine protection and shuts it down. along with a big red light.

Not bad protection for my 20 dollar bottom end ;)