SAU Community

Adjustable Cam Destroyed Cas - Wtf?

Hey I've been having random starting issues and after it finally showed a diagnosis code I removed the cas - and I found the the exhaust cam bolts have rubbed against the cas! Am I missing a gasket or something to give it more room?

I would have hoped the mechanic would have noticed when they were adjusted!

post-32397-0-58687600-1406294427_thumb.jpg

post-32397-0-35337900-1406294626_thumb.jpg

When you pulled it off, were there 3 "washers" about 3 mm (give or take) thick between the CAS and what it bolts to. If not, there is your problem.

Well when I got it back from the tuner it had new bolts on the cas - so I'm thinking they replaced the original and didn't put washers back on!

I think I will be having words with them....

• Like 1

Yes that will be the problem. those washers are important, could have been real trouble if it had totally wrecked the CAS on the dyno for example. Not cool at all

The washers are in there you can see them in the seconds photo

Definitely no washers between the cas and the cam cover - the cam bolts have the square washer as in the pic

Wow.

And looking at it it appears to be set to zero. Bit hard to see in the photo though.

I think it has a small adjustment.

I've put it all together and it still won't start - the injectors ticked when the cas was spun, and there's spark in the plugs - so fuel problem?? Or would the replacement cas put the timing too far out to start it????

See the black rubber thing attached to the cam belt cover? If it has little metal things in there (which to me it looks like it does) they are the washer/spacers piggaz is talking about

Piggaz is on the money. No washers inside that rubber gasket causes the cas to get too close to the cam gear. It doesn't look like there is any of the washers inside that gasket in the pics.

Edited by Chris32R

R32-25t - I think that mark is where a washer used to be as the gasket is pretty hammered!

double check that the input shaft for the cas hasn't snapped off

double check that the input shaft for the cas hasn't snapped off

Yeah the input shaft locator is broken off in the cas - so I'm trying to line up the new cas into the shaft, but it's bloody hard!

AF53B8B7-3F5C-424D-9AB8-F0DFBBF75FC8.png that's a washer, you can see the outline of it clearly

Ah I can see what you mean now I'm at the car - there is a small washer inbuilt into the gasket on the cam cover - if this is all that's needed I'm confused how the cas was touching the cam bolts....

can happen if the wrong washers are in there (not thick enough) but hard to say just from the pic. They look right, but you might be best off doing some measurements I think. Measure the thickness of the washers, etc. If you can source another CAS (cheap second hand one might be best) and put it in the car then turn it over by hand slowly and listen to see if it rubs it might tell you a bit more. I'd order a new seal and washers, not that expensive.Then see if it still hits

I've now replaced the cas - as it was scored on the inside.

I have got the car briefly running with it all together - and I think it is clearing fine as no marks are on the new cas so the gasket with washes included must be fine.

On reflection, ages ago I had the car running without the cam cover for a short drive, and didn't hear / see it rubbing, but I guess it must have been - a lot of damage with only 10mins of running!