SAU Community

Hks 3037 On Rb25 Neo

Didn't really want to make a new topic but seems although there's hardly any stuff on the hks3037s these days.. Thinking of putting one on my rb25 neo and just thinking will it be worth it in the end?

Didn't really want to make a new topic but seems although there's hardly any stuff on the hks3037s these days.. Thinking of putting one on my rb25 neo and just thinking will it be worth it in the end?

I ran the Garrett 3037 which is basically the same turbo as far as i know... Made good power, not too bad with lag etc...

The variables all depend on the supporting mods, the turbo is only one piece of the puzzle.

There are heaps of threads that cover this sort of topic!

Check the RB25 results thread if you need more info on setups!

I'm specifically talking about the hks3037 pro s version guys with obviously a hks genuine rear housing... Hence why I bothered making this. I've done a lot of researched this way to much and want people's opinions.

Yeah, basically that. Given they are probably still sold with HKS tax I would probably look at one of the Hypergear boltons which seem to make similar power with similar lag and are as easy (or easier) to bolt on to the stock location - while being much cheaper.

Nice turbo, I love the old GT3076Rs but I guess it depends on what why you are specifically considering the HKS versus the good alternatives out there that weren't available when it came out

search = awesome.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/120893-full-turbo-kit-rb25/page-2

otherwise, have you driven a car with a GT30x series turbo on it? If not it is the main thing I would say you should do.

Of course we all want the most power but its the lag that is the defining thing on deciding a turbo for your needs.

After driving one on an RB25 (HKS3037 ProS- unknown specific model/trims) I found it to be too laggy for how I like a street car to behave.

Also I would go with a turbo now that is well suited to running E85 and set the response level I want on the turbo and then exploit the E85 fuel in making more power.

With Hypergear turbos, or even GT3071/6R, where they are at now and vs the HKS tax they just aren't worth it...

Edited by jjman

^
Agree with #@34GeeTeeTee in that the turbo is only one piece of the puzzle. And as #@Lithium said, it is a solid turbo, but IMO it might not be worth it with the 'HKS tax' these days...

You might be happier with a more modern turbo setup, such as a HTA3076R (look at #@34GeeTeeTee setup) or even a EFR7670 with internal gate (personally I would LOVE to see this turbo on a unopened RB25!!)

• Like 1

The money side of things dont phase me as the turbo is second hand with very low kms. I've been considering highflows etc but I want to do it right the first time

ahh, so its not just a matter of turbo choice from the multitude out there but also the fact you have an option for buying a good and cheap 3037?

Again, have you been in the car it came off or in a car with this exact turbo on it?

As has been noted before, many people have ended up pulling bigger turbos off their RB because its just not much fun for the street and their driving style...

Yes I have been in many and 1. All I want is results/details on the hks3037...and makes it a lot easier as it's a bolt up situation. I know a garret 3037/3076 and highflows are a cheaper option etc. the car is a street/track option so I'm not overly fussed on lag etc atm.

At risk of disobeying the thread owner........This 3037 would want to be really cheap to be justifiable, wouldn't it? I mean, what you're looking at with one of these is an old school non-billet compressor and otherwise old tech in a secondhand package. For not much more than a grand you can get HG to make you a sweet billet bolt on, and for a bit more than that the FP/HTA stuff is also much closer to the leading edge of turbo tech (and probably not actually any better (read that as worth more) really than HGs stuff either).

At risk of disobeying the thread owner........This 3037 would want to be really cheap to be justifiable, wouldn't it? I mean, what you're looking at with one of these is an old school non-billet compressor and otherwise old tech in a secondhand package. For not much more than a grand you can get HG to make you a sweet billet bolt on, and for a bit more than that the FP/HTA stuff is also much closer to the leading edge of turbo tech (and probably not actually any better (read that as worth more) really than HGs stuff either).

agreed.

what is the ball park we are thinking of putting out there people?

full working condition good model HKS3037 pros with the HKS dump pipe and an intake pipe for $1000? any more is not worth it?

-the reason I am making it such a low price is that you are talking about a 2nd hand turbo. It is a risky proposition as you cannot tell what is has been through nor able to work out if it is indeed in good working order unless you take it to a turbo technician for a strip down and check...

Edited by jjman

In terms of results, a mate of mine got a .68 HKS 3037 tuned on the same dyno as I had my .82 GT3076R tuned on. On the same boost he made similar power with similar spool on the same boost, picked up slightly better down low and I made slightly more power. Basically in the dyno results thread you can ignore the HKS bit and look for GT3037 of GT3076R (not high flow, genuine Garrett T3 IW ones) and count those results as for the same turbo - the a/r will obviously just change the flow/response bias.