SAU Community

Evo 6 Turbo On A Evo 7 ? 10.5T Vs 9.8T Vs 9.0T?

Deza3000

Tried asking on yahoo answers, but they were useless =='

My evo 7 turbo is a 9.0t turbo where as the evo 6, 8MR and 9 have 10.5Tturbos, so was thinking about upgrading from evo 7 to a evo 6 turbo.

However im wondering what the difference between the evo 6 and evo 9 turbo would be? They are both the exact same in terms of specs, but i cant seem to find any detailed description online :( There must be a reason why mitsubishi used a 9.8t hotside on the evo 7/8 as oppose to the 10.5 found on the evo 6 rs? Evo 6 turbos are marginally cheaper than 8mr and 9 turbos too.

Id ask on the evolutions forums, but they are so hard to navigate through, and most of them are from the US and dont own evo 6/7 since they were illegal over there.

Cheers guys.

• Like 1

My stock evo7 had a 10.5 with twin wastegate pucks, not the single. Many people have told me it should be the .9, perhaps it was swapped at some stage.

Personally I wouldn't bother, the gains wouldn't be worth the effort unless you were putting the Ti one in for response, or perhaps a highflow/aftermarket new one.

#@scotty nm35

Yea evo 7s came in 9.8t, definitely been changed in your car.
Theres a number of reasons, one of them being i have a lot of shaft play and a damaged compressor wheel, and the second reason is apparently the 10.5t spools 300rpms earlier as well as giving a stronger top end, good until 250awkw.
Hence why i was looking at the 10.5ts. I came across an evo 6 turbo which was 10.5t, very keen on buying it but not sure if they are equal to an evo 9 or evo8MR 10.5t, or if its just the exact same.

The 9 turbo is the biggest of them I made 312kw on the stock 9 turbo on E85 full boost in around 3300 but signed off around 6500. Epic on the street though as response is almost instant wasn't much around that I wouldn't instantly jump a car or 2 on when having a bit of a squirt.

• Like 1

#@scotty nm35

Hmm I see, evo 6 turbos are dirt cheap so i just wanted to make sure. So the evo 6 turbo will be prone to loosing boost up top due to having 2 wastegate pucks?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ringwood/engine-engine-parts-transmission/turbo-from-evo-6-for-sale-/1049955958

Found that one, reckon its any good? anything is better than my current turbo at this stage :P

#@Mick_o
Wow thats some beefy figures. Yea mines currently tuned on 98, pushing only 180awkw :( It should be pushing 200~220 but the turbo solenoid is soft and the compressor wheel is missing chunks. Also a thick gap between compressor housing and the wheel. Not a good sign. Tuner said that its either been boosted prior to me purchasing the car, or, the more likely scenario, a rock went through the compressor wheel.

Mivec must help a lot with throttle response aye?

The early twin puck design leads to one not sealing when it heats up apparently. It will still work fine though.

At least a turbo swap is easy, otherwise I would say don't bother with a second hand one. ;)

#@scotty nm35

haha yea im not too keen on second hand turbos either, but new ones are sooo expensive haha. New tomei turbo with equal spool time as an oem 9 and better mid/top end boost pressure is 1.6k. Evo 9 turbos are hard to find, let alone too expensive :(

I got an Evo 9 turbo with less than 60K on it. It made way for an FP green :woot:

Don't believe the Tomei claims!

Good friend of mine has 1 on his Evo 9 it probably would spool near stock 9 turbo but the problem is they surge their tits off down low unfortunately :unsure:

• Like 1

#@Mick_o
FP green, bloody awesome turbo, cost as much as a 2.2l stroker for a 4g63 haha
How much you want for the evo 9 turbo?

Oh really? I thought tomei was a reputable manufacturer :/

I got my green when they were on special so saved a few bucks!

The tomei seems to go alright it seems..

Dunno if I wanna sell my turbo to be honest mate but if you made me a good offer id consider it. Also have an FP 18psi actuator to go onto it :cheers:

Oh nice, yea heard good things about that turbo,
Now that i think about it, Tomei seems cheaper than the rest of the aftermarkets (good aftermarket turbos anyway)

no worries man, no pressure :) Ill inbox ya when ready, ive confirmed that the evo 9 turbo is considered an "upgrade" even for evo 6s running the 10.5s on a evo forum, so must be a pretty damn good turbo. im planning on getting a higher flowing fuel pump as well, wouldnt want to lean out haha. Was thinking of doing the timing belt too, no clue when that was changed :/

You'll be pulling that paper weight back off in no time if you bolt it to your head. Farken junk manifolds they are. Both in EVO's and GTR's. They should come with cracks out of the box... It would save you the trouble of pulling it off later.

damn, thats no good, factory manifolds ftw haha. Im not at the stage of making 500whp so i dont think a manifold is necessary at this stage. But still, i thought tomei had their shit together :/