SAU Community

The Frankinstien Twin Turbo Thread

On different setups, I ran the GTX2860's with the stock anti surge front housings with welded on flanges in my 2.8. In short they come on boost later than a 2860-5. They are quieter though

he modified the gtx housings to fit the Gtr

Yes married Thursday

I'M back again with more news... mechanic told me my oil seal is leaking and if i dont change it, turbos will need rebuild. Since I'm not doing any mechanic on my car, i thought.. if im going to pay labour $ to have my seal/gasket redone, I might as well check my turbo and swap them with brand new turbos to recover optimal performance of the car.

I found out about a company called Pure turbos..

They ask 1100$ to have both turbos rebuilt with new brass cage and new billet wheel. ( they say it will be as good as brand new turbos , if not better due to brass cage and billet wheel)

Now heres where i need your help... they offer me a 60mm billet wheel which should yeild a 40hp/per turbo upgrade ( probably taken from the gtx2860's figure) and a 63mm which would yeild 80hp/per turbo. They say turbo spool shouldn't be noticeable and if it was their engine, they would go 63mm.

I'm scared the 63mm will actually be too laggy and i have doubt about their claims on spool. if I had 2.8 stroker.. it would be a different story, but I'm only on a rb26 with 86.5mm.

What front compressor housing are you using, normal -5 or surge slotted? You will be more at risk of compressor surge with a bigger compressor wheel.

-5s housing !

Considering you only wanted 500-550 Whp, it's a not brainer. 60 MM wheel!

I also feel the same.. but you know.. if the lag is going to be 200ish rpm and your gaining an extra 40hp/turbo.. it's interesting lol.

200 rpm is heaps!!!!

Very true, people don't seem to understand what a few hundred rpm can do to a car...

My T88 on dyno was only 500rpm (ish) slower to get 15psi on the dyno compared to the 6262, on the road/track it went from being horribly laggy to very responsive

• Like 1

^^ *like*.

Micko's old man changed his exhaust and went back to a stock airbox on his GTR. Overlay the graphs and it was 200 rpm everywhere. TOTALLY different car to drive. It went from a car which did nothing under 5000 rpm to be able to drive it quickly quite easily.

60mm. Do it. Don't forget you have a 2.6 too. A bigger engine you'd get away with it.

• Like 1

Some open pods. Mmmm all that yummy hot air!

It was a 33 though. Different design to a 32 box.

I know I'd make more power going back to an air box but I'd never thought about earlier spool as I wouldn't have thought it would have made a difference.

I'm pretty sure I'd still be fine with a standard box at 325kw.

The whole shebang coming on earlier was more to do with sorting the pos "jap" exhaust out. Getting rid of the rubbish restrictive mufflers and mismatched pipes. Going back to the airbox was just something he did at the same time.

• Like 2

Yep picked up 15-20kw throughout the midrange to redline. Was a night and day difference really was much nicer to drive and also made power feel more progressive not just a BANG & it was alive at 5000rpm :)

7EBBF77F-0E8D-4F43-B808-A66F92EC295B_zps

This is my old mans sheet with 9's & E85 after we cut the restrictions outta the exhaust and went twin 3" into 3.5" from twin 2.5 or 2.75"

Edited by Mick_o
  • Like 1

Very true, people don't seem to understand what a few hundred rpm can do to a car...

My T88 on dyno was only 500rpm (ish) slower to get 15psi on the dyno compared to the 6262, on the road/track it went from being horribly laggy to very responsive

There are times I've seen NO difference in spool on the dyno and still a very noticeable difference in practical use - dynos can be quite misleading at times!