SAU Community

The Frankinstien Twin Turbo Thread

GCG are making a .84 compact housing for the RB26 will be out in a few months. Should be interesting with the GTX 63/67's

Ooh hello, might be worth waiting for that, some more info on them will need to be found :)

In theory , notice how the gas flow increase never seemed as good with an AR change in a GT28 housing as it does in a GT30 one .

Not sure if it's of any benefit but I seem to remember GTiR T28s having a 79 trim turbine that may have been similar to the GT28 NS111 but with 10 blades .

If you were looking for RIDICULOUS spool mainly then something like the PE1520TR kits (if they are still around) would be pretty awesome. I've driven a Silvia with a single PE1420 and it was ridiculous, transient response and outright spool is mental and they flow OK too.... just not really what you are looking for if you want big power. A quick nosy had me find they do a 800+PS kit for GTRs too, the PE1920TR kit - if the PE turbos I've had any (albeit minimal) exposure to... they are pretty serious kit.

http://www.zshop.ca/parts/r33-pe-pe1920tr-upgrade-kit-rb26dett/

If you were looking for RIDICULOUS spool mainly then something like the PE1520TR kits (if they are still around) would be pretty awesome. I've driven a Silvia with a single PE1420 and it was ridiculous, transient response and outright spool is mental and they flow OK too.... just not really what you are looking for if you want big power. A quick nosy had me find they do a 800+PS kit for GTRs too, the PE1920TR kit - if the PE turbos I've had any (albeit minimal) exposure to... they are pretty serious kit.

http://www.zshop.ca/parts/r33-pe-pe1920tr-upgrade-kit-rb26dett/

Do you happen to have any specs on these things, that site has them for sale for $4500us but I'm doubtful they make the whole turbo so pricing them together or making something similar shouldn't be to hard IF you can find specs for them

There is a dyno result on here for the PE1420tr twins that made 305kw at 15.5psi but no graph

Nah I don't - the turbos are IHI based, and the PE enterprise ones are pretty spiffy options so I'm not sure it will be so easy to just get them made up. The PE1420s which are used on 350Z/S14 etc kits are also IHI VN14s as fitted to some Nissan Autech SR20DET setups - a mate had one on his Silvia and it was impressively responsive, I can't remember exact numbers but 18psi was in the low 3000rpm range and on E85 I'd guess it was making around 270kw @ hubs or so (maybe 240rwkw or slightly over?). We never had it on a dyno with that setup unfortunately - turbo failed (it has been purchased secondhand in unknown condition off someone who was "upgrading" their Autech Wingroad).

So i was looking at some gt2860 upgrade turbo and saw 2 interesting turbos.

One, kinuwaga billet wheels ''drop-in'' for gt2860-5. you can found them on ebay. they are 150$ each. I'm unsure if they would provide any gain since they don't seems to have been benchtested in any sort and have a hard time seeing a review of these on the internet..

second, which look like a better option IMO :

Have a read at this description : http://www.conceptzperformance.com/Cart/description.php?II=7547&Car_Type=300&UID=20140704203820173.176.17.2

and here's the turbo I'M talking about: http://www.conceptzperformance.com/Cart/description.php?II=14599&Car_Type=300&UID=20140704203820173.176.17.2

Basicly, it's a ''gtx'' turbo but made to bolt-on to the RB26. we all know the gtx2860 or even gtx2863 can provide great gain but are a pain to fit and needs lots of custom piping. this turbo will allow you to maintain all your actual piping in place. The only drawback is that we're not getting the anti-shuffle slot like on the gtx. but they still claim an extra 10% in power compared to the stock gt2860, just like the gtx.

Any thought ? I'm really considering this upgrade to be honest.

The Billet drop in wheels for -5s is what Brett was asking about on page one and not a bad option IMO

As for the other two, I wouldn't, look for the Owen developments twin HTA GTR bolt ons as a better option

Found them: http://www.owendevelopments.co.uk/article/76/NEW_Skyline_R33-34_twin_GT2868_HTA_turbos/

I only found one person who had bought a pair of these owen's turbo and I asked him:

My PM: hey man, your hta2868 was on a rb26 motor or a rb28 ?

any update on how wellook ey are holding ? I'M seriously considering doing it. smile.gif.pagespeed.ce.ei7DB-CL04.gif spool like -5 or slightly different ? smile.gif.pagespeed.ce.ei7DB-CL04.gif

His answer: I have test them on both 2.8 and now are running on 2.6

They spool up almost like -5 power wise a bit more than -5 a bit less than -10 on 2.8 they dont have any surge on 2.6 they do have just a bit. I think the best thing on this upgrade was the metal cage bearings other than that for the extra money vs power gains not worthed.

Eftychios

Also.. have a look at forcedperformance's website : http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=FP&Category_Code=Turbo-Upgrade

they ask 700$ us for the mod.. while Owen ask ALMOST DOUBLE ( and I suspect he buy these turbos from FP directly.. so why pay double for owen dev ?)

Borderline.. I thought for an extra 1500$ish, it wasn't worth it to upgrade to HTA68 because they spool a tad slower than -5s and propably will only make 20-30whp more.. I asked FP if they would be interesting or thought about offering a smaller version like a HTA63mm and they said they dont have any future plan to go any smaller than 68mm.

That why I stopped looking any further in this HTA68 mods. ( on a rb28, it could be worth it, but i dont think its worth the hassle on a rb26)

Edited by cobrAA

The Billet drop in wheels for -5s is what Brett was asking about on page one and not a bad option IMO

As for the other two, I wouldn't, look for the Owen developments twin HTA GTR bolt ons as a better option

Found them: http://www.owendevelopments.co.uk/article/76/NEW_Skyline_R33-34_twin_GT2868_HTA_turbos/

Basicly both option I showed feature a 'drop-in'' billet wheel. Difference being one is from kinuwaga and one from turbodirect ( My gut feeling tells me I have more trust in turbodirect a direct dealer of garrett than a chinese knock-off)

I only found one person who had bought a pair of these owen's turbo and I asked him:

My PM: hey man, your hta2868 was on a rb26 motor or a rb28 ?[/size]any update on how wellook ey are holding ? I'M seriously considering doing it. [/size]smile.gif.pagespeed.ce.ei7DB-CL04.gif spool like -5 or slightly different ? [/size]smile.gif.pagespeed.ce.ei7DB-CL04.gif

His answer: I have test them on both 2.8 and now are running on 2.6[/size]

They spool up almost like -5 power wise a bit more than -5 a bit less than -10 on 2.8 they dont have any surge on 2.6 they do have just a bit. I think the best thing on this upgrade was the metal cage bearings other than that for the extra money vs power gains not worthed.[/size]Eftychios[/size]

Also.. have a look at forcedperformance's website : http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=FP&Category_Code=Turbo-Upgrade

they ask 700$ us for the mod.. while Owen ask ALMOST DOUBLE ( and I suspect he buy these turbos from FP directly.. so why pay double for owen dev ?)

Borderline.. I thought for an extra 1500$ish, it wasn't worth it to upgrade to HTA68 because they spool a tad slower than -5s and propably will only make 20-30whp more.. I asked FP if they would be interesting or thought about offering a smaller version like a HTA63mm and they said they dont have any future plan to go any smaller than 68mm.

That why I stopped looking any further in this HTA68 mods. ( on a rb28, it could be worth it, but i dont think its worth the hassle on a rb26)

Do FP do a bolt on for the RB26 based setups ? If so then that would be the way to go for sure but as far as I was aware only OD did a 68HTA bolt on, if i read that right you send FP your turbo and the rebuild it with a 68HTA wheel for $700 where OD you are buying a complete new turbo, another reason I started this thread was to get this sort of info

I would expect a lot more then 20-30hp going from a 60mm GT wheels to the 68HTAs, granted it will spool slower but that's a trade off you have to have when going bigger wheels to make extra power :(

The 68HTA is probably not ideal for a 2.6 but 2.8 or like me a 3.0 they would be quiet nice, especially as a bolt on upgrade