SAU Community

Nistune/power Fc Benefit On Very Minor Mods

Just wondering if anyone with past experience or has some tuning knowledge could give me their thoughts.

Would there be much advantage/gain vs cost by fitting a power fc or getting ecu nistuned on an R33 gtr that's virtually stock apart from 3"front pipe back exhaust and raising the boost (stock turbos)

If so, compared to completely stock setup, what sort of power increase/benefits would I be likely to see with...

*removal of boost restrictor, exhaust and either of these ecu's

*removal of boost restrictor, exhaust keeping factory ecu?

Thanks guys

HUGE ADVANTAGE not only to power, but also your wallet :)

stock vs nistune 32 33 & 34 You should see a gain of 50-100k's per tank when cruising. If you're travelling around 500k's per week you would make back your money within 6 months easily.

Yours being a gtr, you probably don't do too many k's. So it's not much of a worry.

But power gain i know for the above and min mods you could expect anything up to 40rwkw

Def worth it for sure.

I gained approx 50kw at the wheels after going from the stock R34 ECU to Power FC (now at 260AWKW give or take).

Fuel consumption, meh about the same as stock, slightly better on cruise (about 13 L per 100km)

Def worth it for sure.

I gained approx 50kw at the wheels after going from the stock R34 ECU to Power FC (now at 260AWKW give or take).

Fuel consumption, meh about the same as stock, slightly better on cruise (about 13 L per 100km)

Did you have to get it tuned also or was it just a plug and play with a default map?

Interesting question livewire, I'm trying to figure out an ECU path as well without going crazy with mods.

Edited by Sovereign337

Did you have to get it tuned also or was it just a plug and play with a default map?

Interesting question livewire, I'm trying to figure out an ECU path as well without going crazy with mods.

Yes, had to get it tuned.

In practise, yes it is plug and play, I.E you can simply plug it in and drive away, BUT you would be stupid to boost it with the stock Power FC map... Apexi run some stupid high timing from default.

Not knowing your future power goals for the vehicle, I'd say stick with your stock ecu.

The only reason to upgrade the ecu is when chasing hp.

As for fuel savings when driving a GTR ????

I'd have to be the steadiest GTR driver on the road, highway cruising I get 10L per100 consistently.

Stock ecu and the Rb26, I'm never going to see fuel usage down in single digits.

The GTSt used to do 9 to 9.5 despite having a lot more hp on tap, the Rb25 with VVT is simply more economical at cruising speeds.

If you've got a heavy foot there's no miracles, economy is all about driving style.

A PFc will set you back around $800 and much the same again for the tune.

You'll never see that $1600+ returned in fuel savings, so forget that argument.

But if your plan on hp upgrades, money doesn't come into the equation, it all disappears.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a nistune but the closest tuner is 1500km. There is someone here that is comfortable with power fc, what would it take for him to modify my nistune to suit new set up? Or should I just use a power fc? I'd prefer to stick with the nistune since it has knock control and there can be up to 25c temp difference between summer and winter here.

Current tune is for n1 turbos, intake, exhaust and 15psi. I would like to install 680cc injectors and 16-18psi on nismo 0.60/0.64 turbos.

Cheers if anyone is able to help out

i would recommend if you have some spare coin to get the tuning tools you'd need and learn to do it yourself. follow some of the courses over at www.learntotune.com . at that distance you'd spend that much money in travel... I assume running nistune you are still running MAF's if so these should handle your temperature change...but running higher boost will put you in a different and possibly untuned area of your map....

And yes, still runnings mafs

But if it's just a matter of downloading the software and live tuning via consult or other cable I'm more than happy to get my buddy with Pfc experience to tweak it for me

nistune vs powerfc is 6 in 1 half a doz in the other....you need the tools first..... for nistune you need the cable and software (which is licensed to the nistune serial i believe) the Powerfc will need either the Power Excel software (crap to get) or the FC datalogit.

after that you need a way to measure Air fuel ratio and to listen to knock levels (detonation)

the powerfc will still show you what the factory sensors are picking up....if you are getting knock you will most likely have to reduce timing.

a dyno is still more accurate for tuning but these tools will get you in the ball park and most of the way there....fuel mapping first then ignition timing.

Might have to run with the power fc. I have access to data logit and the fella here with it has tuned his so mine shouldn't be too hard for him.

Was kinda hoping to stay with the Nistune, but if the license to tune it doesn't out way the advantages of having it then so be it.

Yep. Exactly as Badgaz said.

Something to condsider though is the factory knock sensors are old and probably crapped out. I certainly wouldnt rely on them.

A benefit of Nistune is it looks stock, and retains all of the nice things the stock ecu does (cold start etc)

Might have to run with the power fc. I have access to data logit and the fella here with it has tuned his so mine shouldn't be too hard for him.

Was kinda hoping to stay with the Nistune, but if the license to tune it doesn't out way the advantages of having it then so be it.

yep thats pretty much where i started...i have a powerfc in my r33 and my wifes r32 gtr. feel free to flick me your maps/logs if you want another eye cast over them, i have a datalogit also.

Haven't got any maps as yet, as I just purchased the power fc.

And if you need the software etc for nistune then I guess I won't be able to pull them off the unit easily

i guess a slight benefit for the power fc is you get the commander which means you can check functions and monitor up to 8 things at once....what sort of powerfc is it? djetro or standard?

Ben c34 I'm not too fussed on looks. You won't get your ass dragged through hell for having a power fc out here. Hell, it just cost me $125 for the inspections and certification to put the rb26 into my 180sx

• Like 1