SAU Community

Please Help! Not Sure Of My Problem

Hey guys,

recently replaced my plugs with iridiums and coil packs with splitfires and my 1996 r33 ran great for about 2 tanks. Now Im not sure of my problem but when I accelerate hard and go up the revs quickly at about 3000RPM the car seems like it slips out of gear or something it just revs a little higher with no power then bang a hit of power. Not sure if my clutch is on the way or something but it still feels firm and finds gears quite well. Don't know if its of relevance but just lately when I push the clutch pedal down it creaks and it never used to do this. Im not sure if I have a clutch problem or maybe one of my splitfire coils is blowing out spark (although they have just been put in the car)?. When I crawl up gears slowly it seems fine, its only when I go to really boost hard I get these little slips. Its progressively getting worse and worse now.

Car specs:

1996 r33 skyline

Splitfire coil packs (they are secondhand and just recently installed)

iridium spark plugs

pod filter

hi flow cat exhaust

aftermarket BOV to atmosphere

boost controller

Thanks in advance guys for any opinions really need help!

Are you still using your stock clutch? I seem to have the same problem when taking off fast the clutch slips from 1 to second gear then it's find onwards. I believe you need a new clutch as I was told by my Tuner "Racepace".

Ucanfindmeonhwy

Bov to atmosphere is a fail and should be plumbed back.

Your problem is you are running too much boost.

Drop the boost and report back.

Also likely you have a boost leak. Search how to pressure test.

Are you still using your stock clutch? I seem to have the same problem when taking off fast the clutch slips from 1 to second gear then it's find onwards. I believe you need a new clutch as I was told by my Tuner "Racepace".

Ucanfindmeonhwy

I totally agree - sounds like your clutch is slipping... Try shifting to 4th gear without taken your revs above 3500rpms and then once your in fourth gear foot plant it. Guarantee it will slip!

Cheers for replies guys, it was the clutch it's now absolutely gone and it's at the mechanic he's quoted me 530$ for standard clutch and install, but said if it's the flywheel will be when in the 1000$ mark, do you guys reckon I should maybe chuck a heavy duty clutch in it and anyone know if the price difference is much??? Also anyone know any good cheap mechanics in adelaide I could try and go see. Ben with the bov to atmosphere do you think this will be causing me to chew more fuel to ?? Cos at the moment with a little bit of spirited driving here and there I'm getting 300km when the fuel gauge line just hits the top of empty, haven't had the balls to let it drop any lower as I've never seen a low fuel light on my car?? Do the 33"s have a fuel light ?

Cheers in advance guys

First: for clutch kit go for If I were you I will go for Exedy Extreme Heavy Duty Clutch for about $500-$800 including Flywheel. This also depends on how much power you are aiming at.

In terms of the fuel light not coming on when empty, every car has that light simply to warn you that u are running out of fuel and just take off the cluster if you can and check the bulb. Replace it and it should be fine.

Ucanfindmeonhwy

In terms of the fuel light not coming on when empty, every car has that light simply to warn you that u are running out of fuel and just take off the cluster if you can and check the bulb. Replace it and it should be fine.

Ucanfindmeonhwy

Bit more complicated to fix in the R31 :P