SAU Community

Switching To Rwd

66yostagea

The S1 Dayz I have is atm an auto, 4WD. I toyed with the idea of going RB30 but I have been given an RWD, rebuilt RB25DET, Skyline motor. There are no mounting points on this motor on which to bolt the front diff. So I either change to RWD or rebuild the blown motor or get another 4WD motor. Personally I like the 4WD. But------ if I go RWD will i have to change the ecu? Or just leave the front axles out and pull the 4WD fuse?

And I am not sure that the Skyline RB25DET motor is entirely compatible without having to change a lot of stuff. For instance will I have to change the ecu?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Did you get an ecu with the DET? Your n/a ecu will not work for the DET. And you have to find a way to stop your front wheels falling off.

I don't think there is an easy solution.

Do you know if the DET has been rebored? You could maybe pull out the DE and rebuild it with parts from the DET. You might also need a new loom as well as an auto DET ecu and if the DET already has the turbo, bov etc you would just need an intercooler (and maybe some better brakes).

I reckon a rebuild of your current donk is likely the easiest solution. Not a full on ZOMGFORGED type build, but depending on how "blown" the current set up is, a set of slugs, maybe rods (although I'd be surprised if they were required) and a good going over to check the crank and block.