SAU Community

New R34 Build Project - Before I Start

Hey guys so i have this project in plans to start soon, just want to get peoples ideas and though in where ill run into problems and clear up a few things for me.

1. So i currently have a 1994 series 1 manual r33 with new forged motor and td06 turbo, greedy style intake manifold and haltech pro. Its also got factory ABS

2. I want to buy a r34gtt coupe and pull the motor and box out of the r33 and put it in the r34. I found a AUTOMATIC R34 with nistune in pretty good conniption which I'm most likely going to buy for this project.

3. I will be putting the neo motor in the r33 plus buying a manual box for it and sell it off

4. Both cars will be street cars

As far as i know the neo has vct, reverse car wires, different intake and ignitor built in the coil packs. The ecu plugs i know are different too

So from here i want to know wats the easiest way to wire in the r33 motor in the r34? can i use my r33 haltech on the 34???

Also wats the best way to wire the neo in the r33? also what ecu can i use? would prefer a stock ecu

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Also I'm thinking of doing it all or most myself in my garage, I'm not a mechanic nor i have done engine swaps before, but i kind of know my shit..

I would hold out for a manual GTT pull both engines and swap the blocks. I assume you will be able to use the Haltech (don't really know) on the Neo so will will need a stock ecu for the R33.

Wouldn't it be easier to buy a Manual GTt and sell your R33 ? No spanner work and R34s had lots of detail updates worth having . Styling is a personal thing and some may not like R34s . I originally wanted an R32 with R33 running gear but it was easier to buy a 33 than build an R32 GTS25T .

A .

Well idealy id want a manual 34 but auto I cant find one for almost half the price of a manual.

Id keep the 33 head as its been rebuilt and bigger cams etc

Overall I calculated after sorting the 33 and selling it the whole project would cost me.less than 10k inc the car id add another 2k factor of safety I think its worth it a forged 300+kw 34 for that price.

I know a mechanic that would swap the motors for just 500 for both cars I just have to do the wiring. So yea the wiring is my biggest concern at the moment.

Well it's a fairly uncommon plan then isn't it?

But having said that you would have both cars in front of you to figure it out,so I say go for it,figure it out.

Just do a straight swap then = the Neo motor + loom + nistuned ecu (and manual box) into the R33 and the R33 engine, box, Haltech and loom into the R34 that should pretty much run and there might be a few small wiring issues to sort out. Not many people would put an R33 engine into an R34 unless it was an RB26DETT

Just do a straight swap then = the Neo motor + loom + nistuned ecu (and manual box) into the R33 and the R33 engine, box, Haltech and loom into the R34 that should pretty much run and there might be a few small wiring issues to sort out. Not many people would put an R33 engine into an R34 unless it was an RB26DETT

That way would my cluster, aircon stuff, accessories, ABS, traction control and most importunely the airbag on the r34 work?

That way would my cluster, aircon stuff, accessories, ABS, traction control and most importunely the airbag on the r34 work?

If they don't they are the small wiring issues that you have to sort. Speedo may read wrong unless the senders are interchangeable.

Speedo is the same and easy. ABS may be less so. Traction control won't work unless you move the ABS/traction computer over as part of the swap because R33 has ABS but no TRC, and of course R34 has both.

Airbags are a separate system.

Air-con I don't know if it differs between R33 and R34. I know it does differ between R32 and R34.

I dont get why you want to put a forged 33 "25" in a 34 and the NEO "25" in the 33. Just buy a manual 34 GTT and sell the 33 as is. The 34 NEO "25" is good for 400rwkw on the CORN JUICE anyway tried and tested many times at 350-400wkw that I know of. And if your worried just slap some forged slugs in and prep the rods and some ARP rod bolts and your good for 400 waspa day in day out. Got to go sorry if only makes half sense in a hurry :(

Cheers Josh

The 33 motor is almost brand new, I know the neo ia better than the 33 motor stock to stock but im preety sure forged 33 rb25 is much better than the neo.

Anyways I know if u put an older engine thats a different type needs engineers certificate but if its the same type it should be fine.

Btw the haltech on the r33 has traction control function .. can I match it to the 34 maybe?

^^ Ben speaks the truth, no amount of certificates will make it legal, the epa will only allow a newer engine than the car came with to be installed, unless you run straight LPG and remove the entire fuel system (as far as I know.)

i just found out the block used for the build was a 1996 series 2 but head is a series 1. Anyways i think ill just go to a remote vicroads in the bush and if the needed engineers certificate ill just pay the 500 and get it. Shouldn't be problem for emissions with e85 right?