SAU Community

R34 Gtt Engine Bay Cleaning?

Heyya guys and girls.

Just wanted to know what to avoid, from personal experience, I'm aware degreesing the engine you need to cover pod filter and afm. But anything else needs to be avoided??

Also, how much degreeser and water is to much? My engine id dirty as hell, probs never been cleaned by prevuous owners.

So will require a huge clean. Will I have to do it over a few days?

Thanks in advance,

Justin

Lots of hard work

A few used toothbrushes

A decent degreaser that doesn't stink (3-in-1 degreaser for example)

303 aerospace protectant to bring the plastics/rubbers back to a nice matte, brand-new looking black colour.

I do not hose out my engine bay. No amount of plastic and covers can keep water out of getting into sensitive electronics.

I use chemtec ct18.

That stuff is awesome and not harsh.

I gently spray with a hose to rinse off.

The engine bay is not full of sensitive electronic components!

Don't spray heaps of water on the afm or cas or coil pack area.

So if there is deep water on the road I can't drive through it....because there is lots of sensitive electrics under my car too??[/quote

According to this thread that is the case.....

I think you guys are looking too much into it.

Have seen idiots using a gerny to hose out the engine bay.

Then you see a fair few threads on here over the years asking for help cos their idle's shot or the car won't drive the same cos the coilpack valley's full of water etc...

Don't you dare tell me you haven't seen those threads being posted up here before.

It didn't seem to me that the OP knew what he was doing so giving idiot-proof advice saves a lot of heartache.

So if there is deep water on the road I can't drive through it....because there is lots of sensitive electrics under my car too??

Mind telling me what sort of sensitive electrics you have under your car?

There's nothing of that nature under mine.

Here in QLD, cars don't do deep water too well. SES work overtime pulling idiots that do try out of trouble. Maybe your car's really awesome?

So if there is deep water on the road I can't drive through it....because there is lots of sensitive electrics under my car too??

Sensitive electrics under your car - NEONS SHOULD BE OK ...........

Edited by NISSAN GTR

I think you guys are looking too much into it.

Have seen idiots using a gerny to hose out the engine bay.

Then you see a fair few threads on here over the years asking for help cos their idle's shot or the car won't drive the same cos the coilpack valley's full of water etc...

Don't you dare tell me you haven't seen those threads being posted up here before.

It didn't seem to me that the OP knew what he was doing so giving idiot-proof advice saves a lot of heartache.

Mind telling me what sort of sensitive electrics you have under your car?

There's nothing of that nature under mine.

Here in QLD, cars don't do deep water too well. SES work overtime pulling idiots that do try out of trouble. Maybe your car's really awesome?

have driven through many a puddle.....I know QLD gets rather large puddles though and the people up there aren't too bright so i do understand your reasoning...

but there is just as many electrics low in the car, starter motor, gearbox plugs etc etc that are subject to wetness all year round....

Now yes, i have seen coilpack cover threads and it is an area to sway away from...and you also shouldnt hit anything with too much pressure...use a too powerful gerni, push gerni too close to electrics of course you are asking for problems....but natural selection is at work too and many of us have sprayed our engines countless times without problem...

but saying "dont spray your engine" is just as naive as the goose who sprays his engine wrong.. I have sprayed/degreases the engine of every car i have ever owned and thats a few...only once did i have an issue where my valley filled up with water causing my plugs to short out...but thats my own stupid fault for spraying too much water on my coiplacks....

anyway tl;dr

it is ok to spray your engine...it is not ok to spray certain parts of it....learn the difference you shouldnt have an issue....