SAU Community

Compressor Surge

Hi guys I am a fairly new owner of a r33 gtst. I think I may have a problem and I am sure someone on here can help me out .

The Problem

At high rpms when I let off the throttle I hear a shhhh sound. it doesnt happen when I accelerate slowly or drive without pushing the car hard.

I have done a bit of reading and it seems to be a compressor surge. can someone help me figure this out

So technically when asking what noise or why does my car idle like shit and stall you should say it's all stock except for the bov ;)

Edited by superben

So technically when asking what noise or why does my car idle like shit and stall you should say it's all stock except for the bov ;)

i assumed the skyline came with a bov stock...like I said i m new to this

Yes, all turbo Skylines (R32 -R34 series) come with a 'recirculation' valve from factory. ALL of them make a 'pshhhhh' noise when the throttle is backed off. It will be louder if there is a pod filter, or if the standard airbox is modified.

Is it a psshhhhhh noise or Zututututututu noise :whistling:

They do come with a bov stock, but for some reason people change them.

Take a photo of your engine bay.

I guessed auto cos you don't tend to hear the bov with an auto as you don't lift off the throttle on gear shifts.

Look into getting a shift kit to liven up the auto,and to make it live longer.

Model specific dual port. Should be O.K, I think you can make it so it only runs plumback (which is what you want)

If you have the stock air box and can hear it, chances are it might be venting to atmosphere, Spring rate might be a touch to high as well

Set it to full plumback (I'm sure you can have one, the other, or both on these) and see how it goes

That valve will do what you need if it is hooked up to recirculate properly. Should be some kind of adjustment on there.

unfortunately that will score you a defect notice though if the police know what they're looking at. If you want to replace it the stock GTST valve or GTR valves are good enough

Hahaha.

That's pretty funny, you heard a blow off valve sound, mentioned it had a blow off valve and then sure enough it was the blow off valve making the sound!

Welcome to the forum, read heaps! There is an endless supply of info to help you.

Put a stock bov on, a defect isn't worth it.

thanks for the input guys I will adjust the bov and see what happens. I personally don't like my car making any kinda noise that attracts unwanted attention from cops or anyone. Unfortunately the car came with the aftermarket bov. the only mods I have done is a Tanabe exhaust and hicas elimination bar and deep dish 18 inch wheels.