SAU Community

R33 Gone From Bad To Worse!

Last week I was driving my r33 gtst and suddenly the car stalled, when I tried starting it again the idle was all over the place and black smoke was coming from the exhaust.

I've had a look and play with it and have swapped the spark plugs out with (bcpre6s-11) or what ever they are and re gapped them to 0.8.

Once i put them in The car started and idle was hunting, I didn't drive the car.

The next morning I went to start it and it fires up then dies straight away, black carbon and oil is coming from the exhaust.

I've replaced the afm, plugs and had the injectors looked at and passed.

I have a few mods

Intercooler, air pod, forward facing plenum (not greddy) :/

Walbro fuel pump, super spark coilpacks, toshi ecu, has ssqv bov.

Has this happend to anyone?

Yes it has happened to heaps if people.

Check for boost leaks, sounds like you have popped a hose.

Search how to pressure test for leaks, looking at them doesn't cut it.

Looking at them does cut it if its just popped a hose...

Sort of.

The amount of times people check for leaks visually, are adamant there are no leaks, only to eventually do a pressure test and find heaps of leaks is more than you think.

• Like 1

I just had a look under the bonnet and just sprayed a little bit of start ya barsted.

It started and stayed running, running very rich though. It sounds like it missing really bad instead of hunting for an idle.

Fuel pump is working fine too.

I sprayed it around some vacuum hoses to see if it would alter the rev, I've had a vacuum leak before when the boost controller bearing fell out and it seems different.

Yeah I have gone over the whole engine bay, could this be the work of a dropped coilpacks?

It's just weird how it was fine at the start then all turned to crap at the drop of a hat.

get a baked bean can. disconnect your intake pipe(the one that goes into the front of the turbo to the air flow meter) from the air flow meter and hose clamp the baked bean can into it tightly where the airflow meter used to connect... now unplug your line that goes from your intake pipe to your boost solenoid. grab some other hose that will fit on there and make it fit with some brass fitting or similar to a air compressor tyre pump...good idea to make sure it has a gauge on it. Then put a brick on the gas pedal.....then slowly put air into the intake....don't go too fast....if the pressure is dropping on the gauge quickly then you should hear it hissing.....this will be the first obvious leak....once you've tightened that....then start again....don't go over 1 bar of pressure in the intake otherwise you can risk injuring yourself like i nearly did when i pressurized it up to 2 bar and shot the baked bean can out.....if you don't have and air compressor then use a bike pump....might take longer though ;)

Edited by Badgaz

You don't need to open the throttle, air will make it's way into the plenum easily with that much pressure behind it.

Agreed, baked bean cans aren't the smartest option due to not having much of a lip. They can shoot out at high speed with even low pressure and do damage. I spun my 80mm bung up out of solid alloy and machined a generous lip on it so the clamp wouldn't let go. I have used it up to 40-50psi without a problem.

If you can't find something suitable there are other options, a few people sell pressure testers on ebay, or I could make you one if you don't have a machinist locally.

You don't need to open the throttle, air will make it's way into the plenum easily with that much pressure behind it.

Agreed, baked bean cans aren't the smartest option due to not having much of a lip. They can shoot out at high speed with even low pressure and do damage. I spun my 80mm bung up out of solid alloy and machined a generous lip on it so the clamp wouldn't let go. I have used it up to 40-50psi without a problem.

If you can't find something suitable there are other options, a few people sell pressure testers on ebay, or I could make you one if you don't have a machinist locally.

yeah I only used a baked bean can because it was all I had on hand the time. a proper tool for a proper job is always preferred.

Well I was just looking threw all my stock parts in the shed and found my old ecu. I decided to plug it in for fun to make sure it wasn't it, bingo it works!