SAU Community

Fresh Built Rb25Det Lifter Noise?

Possibly. But I dont understand if he was so sure it was lifters from day 1, why not just go to engine builder or take out/swap lifters from the start

I had a lifter on my VL shatter part of the head off (they are a top hat looking lifter) and it had horrible lifter tick. So I pulled them out to see what the problem was, found a rather large part of lifter near a cam lobe. Replaced lifters and put it back together etc and everything was fine, cam still looked like new. But I must have been really lucky

Aren't new cams 'soft' and require temp and oil to harden up & bed in?

Having a cam bucket slap against brand new cams couldn't be good.

After spending almost 20k on engine parts, engine labour, brand new turbo, brand new fuel system, efi system and ignition system + a tune, you'd expect clockwork precision

Better yet, take it to your engine builder as you indicated you planned to do, and get his diagnosis.

Were the lifters disassembled and cleaned during this build? If they weren't, and are the cause of the noise, it's clear what needs to happen to cure the problem.

I've had this same problem with a reco head (valve grind, cleanup and surface)

On the pfc it showed little-zero knock under load, and spliked to near 60 when decelerating!

New lifters and all good. Back to the super smooth rb sound.

That would be before they are all varnished up and making noises.

Provided OP gets a proper, reliable diagnosis, the solution is clear.

Cams out, lifters out, disassemble and scrub clean with suitable solvent. Reassemble and enjoy a silent top end with zero lash.

Unfortunately that costs money for anyone unable/unwilling to do it themselves.

Aren't new cams 'soft' and require temp and oil to harden up & bed in?

Having a cam bucket slap against brand new cams couldn't be good.

After spending almost 20k on engine parts, engine labour, brand new turbo, brand new fuel system, efi system and ignition system + a tune, you'd expect clockwork precision

Unfortunately as you might have found out, simply spending a lot of money does not equal a good trouble free result, there's much more to it than that.

I hope you can sort it out soon.

That would be before they are all varnished up and making noises.

Provided OP gets a proper, reliable diagnosis, the solution is clear.

Cams out, lifters out, disassemble and scrub clean with suitable solvent. Reassemble and enjoy a silent top end with zero lash.

Unfortunately that costs money for anyone unable/unwilling to do it themselves.

Spoke to my builder, everything was sonic bathed before it went back in. I have reason to believe there is more too the issue... There are fingers being pointed, and not in the builders direction. All I'm going to say at the moment, will keep everyone posted

Short of pulling it down I have seen suggestions of running a diesel (high detergent) oil in your engine for a while as a possible cure.

The cheapest fix i've 'actually' done to fix 'very loud' lifter noise was the product by Pro-ma called MBL8. Heaps of mechanics i've talked to swear by this stuff...and it really did fix my kronic lifter noise....its $50 bucks....worth a shot before removal of lifters.

Edited by Badgaz

Ive tried the diesel oil thing, did come out rather black considering it was only in there for about 20mins or idling and free revving... Unsure if it did anything useful though

Ive tried the diesel oil thing, did come out rather black considering it was only in there for about 20mins or idling and free revving... Unsure if it did anything useful though

By a while I meant for a couple of weeks!

I can really use diesel oil that long

Yes if you get the right weight. I have used it (Agip) in my RB30 including a track day (on Motul 10W 40 300V chrono now though)but probably best not to use on track ...