SAU Community

First Attempt At Alloy Fabrication!

Yeedogga

Hi guys,

I just finished my first real alloy fabrication project.

I bought a TIG about 2 months ago for some weekend fun :)

Decided to make a catch can/washer bottle for my R33 out of 2mm alloy sheet.

I'm still trying to get the hand and feed speed right, but hopefully more seat time will help!

Any tips or criticism would be greatly appreciated!

Chris :)

post-55684-13964117687792_thumb.jpgpost-55684-13964117897538_thumb.jpgpost-55684-13964118094256_thumb.jpg

Looks pretty good to me. Better than some workshops. :)

Practice is the only way to get better. Were you using a foot pedal? I gotta get me one, stopping to turn the dial down as the work heats up is a pita.

The cap was an eBay job- cost $28 including postage which i thought was reasonable.

I am just using the T2 control on the torch at the moment but would like to get a pedal in the future.

My biggest challenge is training my left-hand to feed properly!

Looks good, try stepping up to 3mm for items like these, makes life a hell of alot easier and you dont need to worry about a foot pedal for the tig, I'm a boily by trade who does way to much tig and i f**king hate foot pedals. If you're having lots of problems with heat soaking the material my advice is to Tack it how you want, than put a solid tack on each outside corner were the 3 pieces of material come together than its simple a case of welding from one tack to the other and blowing the material offf with an air gun inbetween runs aswell as dropping the amperage a a touch after the first few. If you feel its getting to hot Let it sit there for 10-15 minutes inbetween runs.. Take your time and be patient.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback and tips guys.

32rrr - Ill try that next time :)

Did another little job on the weekend- alloy intake pipe for my mate's supercharged FT86 to replace the boring plastic one :)

Before

post-55684-13982242354053_thumb.jpg

After

post-55684-13982242818672_thumb.jpg

Getting there bud, tonal it easier to get even ripples, get the use the move, stop, add technique makes it a lot easier to get the " stack of dimes" beads as both hands don't have to work at the same time with bigger runs I make tacks in the corners then 4 inches apart with no filler so it doesn't ruin the run you are about to do and clean surfaces and good fit is key, have fun mate

• 3 weeks later...

Nah wasn't me it was probably a bloke called David lol.

My car is off the road at the moment getting a new turbo upgrade so hopefully will be out and about again soon. One of your catch cans would finish it off nicely I reckon ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Nah wasn't me it was probably a bloke called David lol.

My car is off the road at the moment getting a new turbo upgrade so hopefully will be out and about again soon. One of your catch cans would finish it off nicely I reckon ;)

If you're serious about a catch can PM me, I've just moved up to darwin and have a little bit of time to do small fab jobs. Also check my thread in the fabrication section if you want to see previous work i've done.

For anyone who is interested I have another one which is almost finished.

Don't have any idea what they are worth to sell but Ill post a picture of the finished item and if someone wants to make an offer on it, go for it!

Cheers

Chris