SAU Community

R33 Gtst Lsd Diff Options

Fairly new to skylines as ive only had my r33 for about a month. I want to have a crack at drift but the stock viscous lsd is very loose and unpredictable. I've done a bit of research and from what I've read the viscous lsds aren't worth wasting money on (correct me if I'm wrong).

So what are my best value for money options considering the car will still be driven on the road from time to time. ( I have no interest in welding my diff I'd rather do it right and do it once)

- Buy an new aftermarket lsd such as kaaz, nismo, cusco (expensive. Are they worth the money?)

-buy a second hand diff with aftermarket lsd installed from an importer. ( a little less expensive and lsd is already installed but worried I will get one that's worn out and needs rebuilding which could get costly)

- from what I have read Gtrs had a mechanical 2 way that works well when shimmed/rebuilt will these fit in a gtst how much work is involved and what kind of money would this set me back.

Any advice from someone with experience would be greatly appreciated.

Yea was probably leaning towards that but how costly are they to rebuild if they are flogged out. Suppose the aftermarket ones are pretty bulletproof anyway.

Cheers for the advice. Much difference between the brands? And is important that's it's 2 way or will 1.5 way satisfy my needs. I understand the difference between them but having never drove on one its hard to know

Lots of guys into drift run a 2 way but either will suit your purposes really. All of the above-mentioned brands would be fine as they are tried and tested. Kaaz have good support and make all the clutches etc. available for rebuild if it becomes worn out down the track, unsure about availability of the others.

As above, most drift guys will likely run a 2 way over a 1.5 way.

I bought my Kaaz 1.5 way diff centre second hand from Yahoo auctions Japan and had it shipped over through Jesse Streeter. I think the 2 way diffs were even less as there were more around than the 1.5 ways when I was looking.

Cost me a bit less than $500 delivered. Had it refurb'd and reshimmed locally, then installed into my existing diff housing. Cost me around $1000 by the time it was in my car.

Diff is super tight and haven't looked back!

Best option is R34 helical. Found on later model coupe GTT only R34 manual. Good luck !

Won't need rebuilt, better street diff than clutch-type but not as good for 100% balls-out lifted wheel action on a track.

My mechanical is noisy. It makes the inside wheel skip and chatter on turns, and gives the car a good shake when cold.

It's not a daily driver though so I don't mind it.

Throw in OS GIKEN 80W-250. Calmed down my GT Pro by 90%.

• 2 weeks later...
My mechanical is noisy. It makes the inside wheel skip and chatter on turns, and gives the car a good shake when cold.

It's not a daily driver though so I don't mind it.

Add limslip or use Nulon SAE90 GL5 oil. Mines pretty good and you don't even notice it half the time.