SAU Community

33 Gts Wont Start

samgts

hi guys,

recently i purchased an r33 gts of a random. he "says" the car was running but as i got it, it didnt start and still doesnt. the positive terminal from the battery in the boot snapped off so he used a speaker cable to connect it ? im not sure if that has shorted anything out or stuffed anything up but i went to the wreckers the next day and purchased a whole new one, connected it up but still no start. i opened up the coil packs and spark plugs, they were all rusted and stuffed so i replaced them too nut still nothing, the car turns over but doesnt fully start! i sounds like it wants to but there is no spark so im thinking it is an electircal problem. can someone please help me.!!!

just curious how much doe s a R33 GTS non running go for these days.

re the issue, start with basics

for a car to run you need spark, air and fuel.

check you have spark at each plug by removing it plug back into coilpack then hold close to the block and have some-one crank it, see if you get spark.

then when you first turn ignition (make sure it's quiet and no stereo on) on can you hear a small hum from boot area, ie can you hear the fuel pump working?

if not pull the fuel filter and crank does fuel come out?

past that get a lube mobile round to have a look?

Where do you live?

You say the car sounds like it wants to start, but there's no spark... Generally if it sounds like it "wants to", then there is spark in at least some cylinders but its not catching enough to become self sufficient.
From your description it could be anything, low voltage, buggered ecu, buggered coil pack loom, buggered CAS...

+1 to martin's suggestion of a mobile mechanic... otherwise you could be throwing a heap of money at replacing parts which are fine... (Alternatively if you have a mate with the same car, make it a doner car for a day till you see what fixes it)

so by tried to start does it kinda fire/cough or just crank and nothing.

if it is couching etc, just how long has it been sitting for?

bad fuel maybe?

I had the exact same problem but on a honda accord. Car sounded like it wanted to start but it just wouldnt. It ended up being a fuel pump. The fuel pump in the honda was under the car in the fuel tank, it was the worst job ever trying to replace it.

Luckily the fuel pump in your skyline is in the boot near the battery I believe? If it is in the boot, its an easy job to take it out. I dont think a fuel pump is expensive, I think around the 100-200 mark.

I reckon have a look at the fuel pump before you look at replacing ecus.

Have you checked fuel pressure?

Why do you think it's the ecu? That would be my last thing to swap.

What do you mean sounds like it wants to start? It fires or just cranks fast?

Is there spark when you remove a coil?

Seems like you are just taking a fairly random approach to this, and I recommend you pay someone who knows what they are doing as it will cost you less in the long run.

Why did the guy sell it?

ive done everything now, bought a new coil pack, checked to see if there was a spark and there is with every spark plug, bought new spark plugs, new cas, new ignitor, replaced all the relays and fuses.

there's a little light next to the steering wheel on the left, it doesn't flash or anything but im thinking maybe the guy who I got the car off installed a a mobiliser and didn't give me the button for it so it wont crank over, the car has central locking so thats another thing

someone please help i dont know what else to do, and Im taking it to an auto elec on monday but to save money id like to fix it myself