SAU Community

Cheap Chassis Bracing Bits You Can Buy And Bolt In

sonicz

I'm just now realising how loose and sloppy my 21yo R33 chassis compared to other cars and want to stiffen it up as much as I can by buying cheap or used bits.
What would be the best bang for buck part/s for this?

I came across a set of these for $30

$(KGrHqZHJCIFCChF!h87BQlnHfsF9!~~60_35.J

But I did not buy them, as I wanted to ask if there are any compatibility issues with other bracing parts that may exist.

Does anyone make a multi point chassis brace for the R33?

All I have at the moment is Front and rear strut brace so any info on what else to fit on an R33 GTS totalling a few hundred dollars or less would be appreciated. I know if you fit something you cant fit others on the same point.

There was also a bar that runs accross the rear of the boot where the tailights are but forgot what that was called.

Edited by sonicz

forget adding bits. for now.

concentrate on regenning the car. your bushes are going to be shit. thats the first thing. 800 dollars later the car will feel fantastic.

then its time for mods.

first up. front and rear sway bar. makes a hell of a difference and costs shit all.

suspension. get the best you can afford.

wheels and tyres, nice and grippy.

strut braces. imho they dont do shit but they look nice!

then start looking into camber/castor arms etc, and finding a good wheel setup guy.

go.

What you have pictured are rear subframe brackets you already have them on in your car thats a std item.

Haha yea thats why I made the right desicision to ask.

forget adding bits. for now.

concentrate on regenning the car. your bushes are going to be shit. thats the first thing. 800 dollars later the car will feel fantastic.

then its time for mods.

first up. front and rear sway bar. makes a hell of a difference and costs shit all.

suspension. get the best you can afford.

wheels and tyres, nice and grippy.

strut braces. imho they dont do shit but they look nice!

then start looking into camber/castor arms etc, and finding a good wheel setup guy.

go.

While that sounds nice in theory to just "go" it doesn't exactly work out so easy when I actually attempt to do it. Unless of-course I blindly walk in to a peddlers type shop and say "Heres $12,000 I hope that's enough for you to change whatever you think is bad", which I cannot afford. I think buying all the bushes alone cost way more than $800 anyway. At the moment I'm looking for chassis bracing. A few hundred bucks and bolt in.

I already have changed the radius rod bushes, tie rod ends, and have some adjust camber arms in the rear to correct the camber to around -1 instead of -2 for more traction.

I still have some other bushes and bearings I have ready to go in the car, but my general mechanic, I have used for normal stuff like leaks, alt, belts etc, jacked the car up, wobbles the wheels, and tells me its ok even though there are wobbles and clunks and a sloppy feel, so he doesn't sound like he wants to even do the job.

The fact is I don't know a single mechanic in Sydney that knows the skyline well and I can trust them to do a simple "refresh" or repairs on the car without worrying they will charge a fortune. For example I think I got quoted $3200 a while ago from a suspension shop to quote a clunk coming from the front end. Came back steering rack replacement + a few bushes. Obviously I didn't take it. Image if I asked them to change EVERYTHING. It would be over $100,000.

Edited by sonicz

Unfortunately I don't have the mechanical skills, or the tools, or a flat driveway, to be able to pull of changing bushes bearings etc on my own at home. I would end up squashed and dead under the car, or mess something up really bad and end up having to pay even more to fix my mistakes, and its my only car to drive around in.

For example I don't think I could change the front bearings or steering rack to save my life.

Edited by sonicz

Yeah not everyone has knowledge or tools or motivation to do themselves, but expect to be digitally penetrated to some degree if u don't. Advice above is best. Strut and chassis braces make a difference, but are far from the cheapest or best way to improve handling if the basics not already done.

• Like 1

I know they aren't where you start but that's what I'm after at the moment. I want some extra structural rigidity in the car anyway since my driveway is on a funny incline and I have to drive the car up diagonally. It twists the chassis enough to make the window frame make popping cracking sounds each time.

Is there anything like this for the R33

UR-RLS6-1272P.jpg

Stuff like Castor rod bars, castor rod bars etc. Fender brace. I disagrees about them not being the cheapest. The are cheaper than anything else you can do to the car. Parts like this only cost between $30-200 dollars

What about one of these. Tension Rod bar.

$(KGrHqVHJCUFByqsdEpQBQmO3kUTDw~~60_3.JP

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CUSCO-TENSION-ROD-BAR-BRACE-NISSAN-SKYLINE-GTR-BNR32-BCNR33-HNR32-R32-R33-/221150380757?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item337d9702d5

Edited by sonicz

yeah but dude, that's my point - i have one of those cusco castor-rod bars on my car...makes a *minor* difference. Things like that aren't going to give u the structural rigidity you're craving for, like a lost infant calf in the woods craving the suckling teat of its mother. If you want to bolt something on to stiffen things up, maybe just look at one of the half-cages for the rear of the car...u can get nice Cusco ones delivered for a bit over $800 and they look sexy too, will probably get you more 'giney in the process.

Well they are better than nothing, especially if the rest of your car is looser than a fresh one due to wear. I would start buying the parts but want to know if anyone makes a multi point under-body brace. Reason I made this thread is I don't want to start buying parts and then find out they are incompatible with each other, i.e they bolt onto the same location, so I just want a list of the stuff to get. "Minor" difference is good enough to me.

Like I said the driveway has had its toll and I want to give it more support. Use the back seats from time to time so no roll cages.

Think about what the likelihood of any of those pictured Ultra Racing braces working to prevent body twisting is, and then abandon all hope. Those braces will do precious little to stop deflections in the directions they are intended to brace as it is, let alone twisting.

The front brace between caster rods is a tough one. I can see that they might do something, and have pondered getting one to try out.....but I have a hell of a lot more stuff already on my car than you do (bushes, arms, decent suspension components) and I still don't think I'm anywhere near needing to dial out that last 1mm of flex between those two points. And they won't stop twisting either!

Well they are better than nothing

who says?

The are cheaper than anything else you can do to the car.

no they're not. Superpro bushes range in price, average of say $120. ANTIsway bars about $220 each, same or less as some of the braces.

It twists the chassis enough to make the window frame make popping cracking sounds each time.

so does mine. Jack up one wheel to a decent height and the door won't close properly cause of the flex. I have strut braces front and rear, swaybars, coilovers, all superpro bushes, castor-rod brace, and so on. Don't know that a couple of braces will fix this for you.

to stop chassis flex maybe get a one-piece10cm square steel tube welded along the length of the car on either side, with some picees welded across between the bars. That should reduce it at least. Might add a hundred kg or so though.

also, you can get half cages that still allow use of the back seats without any issues.

Honestly - if you're like me, once you get an idea in your mind it really doesn't matter what other people put forward you'll just end up trying it yourself anyway. So if you're set on thinking the braces are what you need, then no worries. The cusco one is pretty cheap anyway, mine was $119, and easy enough to install. Front strut brace from justjap can be picked up cheap, also supereasy bolton, you could do it blindfolded, or drunk....I know i certainly was.

Those mulitpoint braces, have only seen them for GTR's or other cars that aren't skylines. What you could do, is talk to a reputable suspension workshop about making you something effective? Get some aluminium bar, look under the car and see suitable mounting points, decide where you want to run it, then get them to weld it up....boooyah, you've innovated too. I had one of the 4-point front underbody Cusco braces on my GT4 Celica, huuuuge difference. Not seen anything like that for skyline though.

Think about what the likelihood of any of those pictured Ultra Racing braces working to prevent body twisting is, and then abandon all hope. Those braces will do precious little to stop deflections in the directions they are intended to brace as it is, let alone twisting.

The front brace between caster rods is a tough one. I can see that they might do something, and have pondered getting one to try out.....but I have a hell of a lot more stuff already on my car than you do (bushes, arms, decent suspension components) and I still don't think I'm anywhere near needing to dial out that last 1mm of flex between those two points. And they won't stop twisting either!

If I'm honest cant really say I'm convinced they don't much much. I.e I still want to go head. Was told a front strut brace alone wouldn't make a huge difference either but when I fitted it it was a MASSIVE change to the characteristics of the chassis and the whole cars behaviour as well.

Anyway can someone tell me if the CUSCO TENSION ROD BAR BRACE would interfere with any future bracing, if not I will go ahead and get one to start things off.

who says?

no they're not. Superpro bushes range in price, average of say $120. ANTIsway bars about $220 each, same or less as some of the braces.

so does mine. Jack up one wheel to a decent height and the door won't close properly cause of the flex. I have strut braces front and rear, swaybars, coilovers, all superpro bushes, castor-rod brace, and so on. Don't know that a couple of braces will fix this for you.

to stop chassis flex maybe get a one-piece10cm square steel tube welded along the length of the car on either side, with some picees welded across between the bars. That should reduce it at least. Might add a hundred kg or so though.

also, you can get half cages that still allow use of the back seats without any issues.

Honestly - if you're like me, once you get an idea in your mind it really doesn't matter what other people put forward you'll just end up trying it yourself anyway. So if you're set on thinking the braces are what you need, then no worries. The cusco one is pretty cheap anyway, mine was $119, and easy enough to install. Front strut brace from justjap can be picked up cheap, also supereasy bolton, you could do it blindfolded, or drunk....I know i certainly was.

Those mulitpoint braces, have only seen them for GTR's or other cars that aren't skylines. What you could do, is talk to a reputable suspension workshop about making you something effective? Get some aluminium bar, look under the car and see suitable mounting points, decide where you want to run it, then get them to weld it up....boooyah, you've innovated too. I had one of the 4-point front underbody Cusco braces on my GT4 Celica, huuuuge difference. Not seen anything like that for skyline though.

Yea maybe the bushes are $120 each but theres over 8 sets of them, and you need to pay someone to fit them. Thats over $2000 there easy. Most braces I can just buy and bolt on myself or with the help of a friend, and theres only a few of them. Even if I could change ALL bushes I still want to stiffen the chassis up first. Thats the order I want to do things in right now.

Yup funny that you mention it, but my door permanently scrapes the bottom and has to to be forced up about 1cm before it closes properly. It happened right after a buffoon mechanic jacked up the car really high on one side, so I guess he permanently bent the chassis. Just goes to show how soft the body can get.

11bOyii6BnVH9OooVklQwE0tmEF2S.jpg

Yes I have posted that before if anyone is wondering. Yes all 3 wheels are really that high off the ground even though it looks like the rear could be touching, its FAR from the floor.

You are right I will want to do it regardless of other peoples opinion because I decided to already. To be fair I never came here asking for thoughts on if it would make a difference, just what items are available for the car :). The fact it made a difference to your celica is good to hear. Bracing certainly works, especially on old cars with old chassis. Even new cars that have a much stiffer chassis altogether use bracing bits.

Its a shame no one makes a mutli point harness for the GTS. I don't know if you are joking about adding a massive steel piece to the car and add a few 100kg lol. I'm not sure how much a suspension shop would charge welding up something on the fly but I'm sure it would be a fair amount more than bolt on bits.

Anyway as you can probably see in the pic I've had the strut braces for a while now. I'm after any more bits of metal I can attach to the car.

Edited by sonicz

more than likly your door has just dropped. need to relalign and tighten the big bolts holding it on

also that "mechanic" is game

Edited by GH05T

Anyway can someone tell me if the CUSCO TENSION ROD BAR BRACE would interfere with any future bracing, if not I will go ahead and get one to start things off.

jeez mate asking a bit much there, who knows what will be designed in the future? :P but nah it's not in a location that anything I've seen bolts to.

I don't know if you are joking about adding a massive steel piece to the car and add a few 100kg lol.

i might have been joking just a little there, yep

as for the shop's cost, if you actually designed it, as in planned where you want it to run, cut the alum bar to the length/shape you want, and even do the mounting brackets, I'd be surprised if you pay more than a cpl hundred at most for the welding. A decent multipoint brace will be several hundred, if you can even find something suitable.

quick google search told me you can already buy:

Fender brace

Floor brace

F+R Strut brace

Lower rear underbody brace

Rollcage

Put your front reo back on, some thicker swaybars, change old bushes and then think about more braces.

edit: also looking at most of the so called 'braces' online, you can see how a lot of them are flawed, and nothing more than great marketing with gif images. In saying that, some do have a purpose for minute changes.

It's up to you, but I'd changed flogged out parts before adding more weight and money into things that don't necessarily change anything.

Edited by Stagea97

quick google search told me you can already buy:

Fender brace

Floor brace

F+R Strut brace

Lower rear underbody brace

Rollcage

Put your front reo back on, some thicker swaybars, change old bushes and then think about more braces.

edit: also looking at most of the so called 'braces' online, you can see how a lot of them are flawed, and nothing more than great marketing with gif images. In saying that, some do have a purpose for minute changes.

It's up to you, but I'd changed flogged out parts before adding more weight and money into things that don't necessarily change anything.

Ok but more importantly where do you buy them from.

http://www.nagisa-auto.com/products/gacchiri/index.html

Also I'm not sure where you found a Lower rear under-body brace for the GTS? Are you sure its not for the GTR like this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTRA-RACING-6-PT-REAR-LOWER-UNDERBODY-SIDE-BRACE-BAR-93-98-NISSAN-SKYLINE-R33-/200850930272