SAU Community

Cowdys R33 Gtst

where to start..... how about last year,

when i was at work i was asked to run around to the wreckers and salvage a bolt from a car and while i was there i saw this silver r33 gtst auto dressed up as a gtr and modded beyond all belief but no compression and rust forming all over it. me wanting a skyline i didnt care they wanted 3850 and i talked about buying it. put the idea past my grandparents (pretty much my parents) and my grandad wanted to have a look, he came down checked it out and said no look around and find a better one.

so about a week later on the 4th of march my car popped up on carsguide at a car broker in Milton and i was like, eh another one like the others and moved on. came back to it because it was cheap regoed and they wanted it gone. so i organised to go look at it after work, called my grandfather to see if we could go because a few people were interested in it, and he said ok ill go have a look while your at work, so he clocked off at lunch went to have a look and i was waiting for him to come and get me to take me over to look at it, i was so excited. sitting at home called him..... his phone is in his desk..... call my grandmother who drove other there with him..... her phones in her desk.....

so i was like screw it was started looking again online, about 3 minuets later i hear this enormous exhaust noise and fluttering coming and i was like WTF is that... go stand just out side the side door and then he opens the gate and drives in with this

post-108324-0-85317000-1391687239_thumb.jpgpost-108324-0-91920200-1391687297_thumb.jpg

he hops out and comes around, i have the biggest smile i had ever had in my life.
he hands me the paper work and the keys and says "hope you like it"
inside i was like WTF ARE YOU JOKING WHATS WRONG WITH YOU I LOVE IT!!!!

so that afternoon i was looking at it and cleaning it had weird old sterio wiring all through it and weird live wires all through it
ripped them all out and binned it.

came with alloy radiator
jvc head unit

18 wheels
4.5' exhaust highflow cat and a 5' cannon
all front end bushes redone

reco rack

k&n pod filter

and saas sports steering wheel

post-108324-0-27759000-1391688246_thumb.jpg

the next few weeks consisted of new tiers fixing an oil leak or two getting rego and getting weighed dynod alarm installed and exemption paper work sent off so i could drive it

me knowing nothing about turbo cars i didnt know it had a boost leak. or the usual arking out problem with skylines
so on dyno the only got it to 4400 with 3 pounds and it put out 167hp atw or around 125rwkw
car weighed 1460

so it worked out to be like 83 kw/t and the legal limit is 125kw/t

2 weeks later i got the paper wok back saying i was good to go and i could drive it

so paying the car back i couldn't really do much other than fuel it and service it
good ol' apprentice mechanic wages :(

but i got things done

new stereo
gear stick and handbrake boots
genuine Nissan gear knob (had some chrome piston one on it)

led dash lighting
new pod filter
under dash lighting
new vaccume hoses
new fuel hoses
all new fluids
new plugs
splitfire coilpacks
new fpr
led parkers and 120+ headlights
and just recently new diff bushes

post-108324-0-44372600-1391688592_thumb.jpg
post-108324-0-27759000-1391688246_thumb.jpg

post-108324-0-40115000-1391688948_thumb.jpg

a while ago i bought a rb30 and a rb25 as an idea i was like sounds great!! sold the block and kept the head or the 25 that sits out there and i will get around to is some time (famous last words) or ill sell as project

was going to look at a 31 for a mate recently got pulled up and defected from a non padded center of the steering wheel so got a new one

post-108324-0-34806700-1391689681_thumb.jpg

then recently i finished paying off the car. so the goodies are coming (all still to be fitted)
post-108324-0-37660500-1391689121_thumb.jpg

z32 afm

z32 nistune ecu (to be sent off for modifications to work with the 25)
hicas lock bar
rear rack ends
and some high density poly bushes for the rear sub frame
now all i need are rear hicas joints and rear wheels bearings, they have a slight bit of play so i want to make sure that isnt an issue further down the track

highflow 34 (have to go pick up from being rebuilt)

i know i will need brakes soon and a new clutch

the brakes are getting low so instead of new pads and machine i will get slotted dimpled and not sure on what pads yet

the plan of attack

mechanical important stuff
so clutch brakes (same time will be braided brake and clutch line from hel around the corner from work) and bushes to stop that awful knock in the rear

then it will be coilovers, camber & castor arms front and rear, sway bars, bracing
just general steering and handling first, because if you cant handle the power you dont need it

then after that i will be fit highflow, fit afm, fit ecu, get fmic, fit gfb boost tee i have, new fuel pump and injectors
AND A TUNEEEE!!!

that is all for now i think

so if any requests for photos or questions or suggestions please feel free

but to trolls and negative nasty comments they will just be ignored and i please hope that anyone that posts in here will do the same, i want this to be a no bullshit thread and just about the build

thanks
cowdy

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic introduction thread about your car mate.

And very nice looking car.

I also agree, your grandparents are special indeed.

I like your philosophy regarding getting the car to handle well first and then power up from there.

Keen to see more progress on this build.

wow. thats pretty sweet. by the sounds of it your grandparents are pretty boss :D
looks like a great starting base, will be looking forward to seeing your future plans for it..

do you know what you plan on using it for predominately?

also like anthony said. good to see your doing your handling first... my old 92 skyline definitely showed its age in that department... no point having all this power if your car cant put it to good use.

Sorry for the tripple post :P

Um plans are daily and sprints kind of deal

Yeah I'm pretty lucky to have my grandparents they have given me lots!

Yeah I have always been told to worry about handling because you can have all the power in the world but a better handling car can hold power longer into the corner and erlier on the power out

And I'd rather be safe and have the thing like its on train tracks rather than sliding all over the joint

What I was ment to post in the tripple bit before they stopped me from editing was

Picked this up yesterday for when I get the car resprayed and a new kit

post-108324-13918648807069_thumb.jpg

And this is the most current pic of the engine the new pod and a few other non mentionable things done

post-108324-13918649548647_thumb.jpg

Put new fan belts on yesterday $54. Wasn't to bad

Except they sent the wrong part to the workshop at 4.30 and my car was apart and they didn't have anymore parts runs left for the day.......

One of the drivers dropped it off on his way home At 5.20 so that was ok :P

Service day today

All fluids

Throttle body and ic piping clean

New filters

Wheel alignment, balance and rotate

Plugs

And anything else I need when I find it

I know I need I get my high pressure ps hose done :/ starting to leak :(

post-108324-13930346379665_thumb.jpg

Cleaned out ready to go back in

post-108324-13930347284814_thumb.jpg

If you look around the lights you can see all the smoke

This was about 5 minuets it's after I ran it from cleaning out all the carbon and crap from the throttle body and plenum chamber

In was jut bellowing black smoke for 15 minuets

But it came good and runs so much better, also came across that the oil in the ic piping was making some of the hoses and rubber joiners mover around on eachother so that was cleaned with the ic piping and clamps tightened down harder

post-108324-13930350839879_thumb.jpg

That's the gear box drain plug.....

That's not to good..... There were bits of synchro teeth in there....

When I do the clutch I might send this off to the shop just up the street for a rebuild and some new synchros, I'm hoping it's the synchros, the chips in there were a gold Colour, but we will see

Contemplating putting my boost bleeder on and seeing the results, I wouldn't mind seeing how much power it puts out with it off just from servicing and cleaning

And then with it on