SAU Community

Rb25Det Swap

If you want serious info about doing this swap PM a bloke called Simon, I think his user name is Simon-R32, he put an RB25det neo in his R32 and he really helped me when I was looking at everything I'd need for the conversion. In the end the hardest thing wasn't the wiring (he can tell you how to get by pretty easily) but there were a lot of mechanical things that needed changing if you wanted to run the RB25 gearbox with it, and trust me, you do.

There are quite a lot of videos of his car on YouTube if you search RB25 R32. In the videos it's a green colour from memory

I am going to slightly disagree with you RBrennan25.

Changing the speedo sender to a mechanical one is quite easy. All you need is a vice, hacksaw and vice grips and some loctite if you wish.

Go to Nissan and tell them you want a D21 Navara mechanical speedo sender PN 32702-02G17

There is a guide in the net for this, it took me about half an hour to knock over, pretty easy. Not to say it might not be difficult for some but with a guide and a cando attitude anyone should be able to do it :)

I am going to slightly disagree with you RBrennan25.

Changing the speedo sender to a mechanical one is quite easy. All you need is a vice, hacksaw and vice grips and some loctite if you wish.

Go to Nissan and tell them you want a D21 Navara mechanical speedo sender PN 32702-02G17

There is a guide in the net for this, it took me about half an hour to knock over, pretty easy. Not to say it might not be difficult for some but with a guide and a cando attitude anyone should be able to do it :)

Rather true, but try asking them for an R32 manual tail piece, which has been slightly shortened to weld an RB25 yoke onto it. Not quite as easy if you're not the greatest on the tools

Also apparently an R32 cross member will only line up with 2 chassis bolts when used with an RB25 gearbox, which will hold but isn't exactly safe as houses

There were probably a few other issues but this is going back a couple of years

I agree with everything said, im doing this conversion to a drift only car, never will be registered so im not worried about down time, dont need everything working (like speedo).. this has just been a learning thing... going to a v8 would have been a lot easier then mucking about with all the electricals though.....

So far im running the rb20 looms and have not changed any pinouts however i have read that two pinouts on ecu for injectors needs swapped which i havent looked into yet, however as mentioned a lot of useless info out there. also a lot of good info so ALOT of research is needed.

I went and talked to some people today to see what it would cost to get the swap done and I was told around 5 grand. So I would be cheeper to do it myself but what the guy said is if I messed up or got stuck and took it to a place to fix it would cost more because they would have to go over all the work and find what's wrong, so save up and do the swap or sink that money into the motor already in the car talk about too many options

Yeah exactly, it cost nothing for my engine and ive prob spent 1500$ on mine (roughly) and its almost good but a massive pain and if i needed it running perfect to engineer/register then i would be in trouble... youd get more then enough power out of the rb20 for street.

Or save and buy a GTR :P wish i did that then the amount of money i spent on the r32 and r34 gtt.... should of bought a r34 GTR straight out :S live and learn haha

• 3 years later...
On 3/11/2014 at 1:22 AM, RBrennan25 said:

If you want serious info about doing this swap PM a bloke called Simon, I think his user name is Simon-R32, he put an RB25det neo in his R32 and he really helped me when I was looking at everything I'd need for the conversion. In the end the hardest thing wasn't the wiring (he can tell you how to get by pretty easily) but there were a lot of mechanical things that needed changing if you wanted to run the RB25 gearbox with it, and trust me, you do.

There are quite a lot of videos of his car on YouTube if you search RB25 R32. In the videos it's a green colour from memory

Tried to get advice from this Simon guy and instead was met with "you're better off going to a professional than trying to get help off the net." Such great advice from someone who's done the swap himself but can't be bothered to help others. 

Under law 69 of the forum act any member who is asked a question must reply with a very detailed time consuming response. Otherwise the whole system of people demanding / expecting answers to make their life easy is ruined. Then what's the point?

• Like 2

On 03/03/2018 at 8:04 AM, bakwoods said:

Tried to get advice from this Simon guy and instead was met with "you're better off going to a professional than trying to get help off the net." Such great advice from someone who's done the swap himself but can't be bothered to help others. 

Probably gets bombarded with the same questions over and over again that's why he is like that

On 3/2/2018 at 4:17 PM, Leroy Peterson said:

This thread is 4yrs old. No one is obliged to help you with anything.
If you're desperate for the info, prior research and asking for info is worthwhile.

That's the problem, there is no information that can be traced back to either a DIY, any form of a tutorial or even a list of Q&A's regarding the challenges involved in the swap. It's like "screw you, you're on your own." I never said anyone was obliged, but as a forum, you'd anticipate that people are willing to help each other out, not brush off anyone with a legitimate question. It's no surprise that no one can get their questions answered, dicks like you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2018 at 11:00 PM, Ben C34 said:

I don't understand why you think people should or would be inclined to help just because it is a forum.

For that very reason, its a forum. The basis is to help the community not ignore requests. Idiots.

1 hour ago, bakwoods said:

For that very reason, its a forum. The basis is to help the community not ignore requests. Idiots.

f**king really?  You really want a step by step Ikea plan laid out for you?  How the hell do you think those of us who have managed the swap (including me) managed it without such a thing?  Must have been by pre-planning, thinking, application......and plenty of time spent with the wiring diagrams.  Oh, by the way, it was 2 years between me doing the conversion and getting the air-con working.  So, you know, good luck with that.