SAU Community

Hyprocrisy's A Bitch Ain't It - "the Truth About Kilometers"

No doubt many of you have read this blog article: "the Truth About Kilometers"

It's a good one, I have to say it very much rings true in my own experience.

You'd think that after a certain importer had a "coming to jesus" moment and before writing a great blog expose', and before reselling the services of an admittedly very useful odometer checking service - they would: "clear the decks", "make a clean sweep" etc...

And so we happen upon this lovely red evo 6 TME: http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Mitsubishi-Lancer-2000/AGC-AD-13862163/?Cr=1&sdmvc=1

2I3Cpg3.jpg

jyHwk2xs.jpg a1yen4us.jpg

WTF?

gvSKPUrl.png

I have to say even I was convinced by the blog - making this all the more disappointing.

Edited by dodgyimports
  • Like 1

The ad currently reads 134,000km. Has it been updated?

Awww :( it looks like someone isn't playing fair - AGAIN. oh well - it's lucky i took some screenshots (click to view full size):

Nj9vbdrl.png

RVMC0Yml.jpg

To their credit, thats a very quickly issued correction - respect. And at least these guy put VIN numbers on their carsales ad's - there are plenty of other dealers who post invalid VIN's or none at all - I wonder why? :)

Edited by dodgyimports
  • Like 1

you'd think they'd make it 134 xxx km's rather than 134,000 neat. every time i see even numbers like that i think it's dodgy.

Pretty sure carsales doesn't allow you to write 'xxx' in that field, so i think rounding to the nearest thousand (assuming it is legit!) is perfectly fine.

Edited by colourclassic

Maybe it was a genuine mistake? Seems pretty stupid that a company would go to such extreme lengths to give themselves a good name and then do something like this. Either way well spotted.

• Like 1

Pretty sure carsales doesn't allow you to write 'xxx' in that field, so i think rounding to the nearest thousand (assuming it is legit!) is perfectly fine.

i didn't mean actually writing XXX but i meant writing any combination of numbers that wasn't rounded.

Generally what they rely upon is showing a copy of the Japanese deregistration which has the kms recorded upon it. People then make the assumption that the kms showing on the deregistration were taken when the vehicle was deregistered for export.
However in reality, the kms showing on the dereg are actually the kms recorded the last time the shaken was renewed which could be several years prior to dereg.

What some nice people are doing is rewinding the kms to the point showing on the dereg and then using the deregistration as "proof" that the kms are legit. If you're lucky enough to even see that certificate, you'd go away quite satisfied.

Unless you read what I just posted, of course.

Generally what they rely upon is showing a copy of the Japanese deregistration which has the kms recorded upon it. People then make the assumption that the kms showing on the deregistration were taken when the vehicle was deregistered for export.

However in reality, the kms showing on the dereg are actually the kms recorded the last time the shaken was renewed which could be several years prior to dereg.

What some nice people are doing is rewinding the kms to the point showing on the dereg and then using the deregistration as "proof" that the kms are legit. If you're lucky enough to even see that certificate, you'd go away quite satisfied.

I thought it had the dates for the Shaken on the dereg . Is it not clear? Trying to remember what mine looks like....

Good point there, another thing to look out for.

Just to chime in..

The Car's KM's are definitely taken down when de-registered.

Every Customer's cert I have seen as a deregistration odo-check done ; a month before the Planned Date of Export on the Certificate.

funny how the carsales ad is changed to 134k kms now.....