SAU Community

Holden

I think Mr Devereux wants extra Assistance Funding of $265M on top of current $275M for Holden to maintain manufacturing beyond 3 more yrs.

I'm thinking that $540M could be better spent on infrastructure...

• Like 1

I think Mr Devereux wants extra Assistance Funding of $265M on top of current $275M for Holden to maintain manufacturing beyond 3 more yrs.

I'm thinking that $540M could be better spent on infrastructure...

with you there, i think they need to really REALLY fix up sydney's infrastructure, just in general because it's SO SH*T

Yes but loosing Holden will lead to loosing Aussie toyotas and a huge hole in the employment market , damned if you do or don't

Maybe; but demanding a tonne of taxpayers money to fund a private company is pretty arrogant.

What people tend to ignore are the packages that are negotiated by the Labor party in order for the money to be handed over. The current $275 million that Terry was referring to was given on the proviso that GM injects $1 billion dollars from America into the Australian manufacturing industry. That is a great economic outcome for Australia. So as long as Labor continues to negotiate packages with Holden that provide an overall benefit to Australia I think we should definitely continue to support Holden.

Edited by *LOACH*

I don't get it?

And finance isn't my strength at all, but...

If Mr Devereux stitched up a deal with the Aust Govt supplying the $275M earlier this year to keep manufacturing going beyond 2016, why has he got his hand out for more?

Are we (the taxpayers supplying this dough) not being told what we need to be told? Why do I feel I'm being treated like a mushroom?

I'm thinking...

3,000 people building cars > 3000 could be building 2 dams instead?

At the end of the day it's all about the numbers. The general term being used is "investment" and by those standards there should be a return. If this actually turns out to be the case is another story and hence why so many people have their divided ideas on the situation.

To be fair the aus government has done little to the car industry. In terms of what the government gives to the car industry compared countries you can see why car companies are bailing out. In australia the government invests $18 per person towards the industry, canada $100, US $260 etc. Holden has a right to ask for more, if Holden goes imagine all of the smaller companies it will take with it.

Without money being invested in manufacturing and r&d, our future is looking a bit dim

How about we invest a metric shittonne of money in building big water pipelines and dams to supply water to farm land and concentrate on producing food instead of manufacturing.

Feed ourselves and sell the rest OS.

As if there aren't enough car companies in the world already.

Australia the food bowl of the world?

I think the man above makes sense.

When droughts hit south, rain hits north and vice versa - hmm, well that's the way it often works - discounting a full blown el Niño

I don't see how the fall of Holden will impact Toyota whatsoever. Holden are the ones to blame for their own downfall, it's no one elses fault that they keep making a boring/old product year after year and expect to charge a premium and then you get the sales consultants favourite line is "Australian made".. who gives a f*ck if it's Australian made, i bet most of the people physically working on them aren't aussie..

How about we invest a metric shittonne of money in building big water pipelines and dams to supply water to farm land and concentrate on producing food instead of manufacturing.

Feed ourselves and sell the rest OS.

As if there aren't enough car companies in the world already.

A bit random but I remember see a doco years ago where someone had come with such a plan

Included a massive f**k off dam out west somewhere and effectively drought proofed the country but the catch was no government wanted to know anything about it.

• 1 month later...

I'm no expert in economics. However we still need the car industry.

I think what many people don't realise is the component makers will be hit hard too, which means more people unemployed.

Employed people = tax payers and customers to other business.

Unemployed people = walfare

I don't see how the fall of Holden will impact Toyota whatsoever. Holden are the ones to blame for their own downfall, it's no one elses fault that they keep making a boring/old product year after year and expect to charge a premium and then you get the sales consultants favourite line is "Australian made".. who gives a f*ck if it's Australian made, i bet most of the people physically working on them aren't aussie..

I agree. They need to make better quality products that are world class and what the world wants.

no holden = not profitable for the associated industries (i.e the component manufacturers etc), which then leads to it not being profitable for Toyota being the only manufacturer left. The flow on effect would be terrible for our economy, and leave thousands out of work.

Compared to most other vehicle manufacturing countries, we subsidize our local companies less and allow far more relaxed rules on imports as well.