SAU Community

RB25DET: Changing the Spark Plugs

Anquetil

Step 1. Undo the clamps on either side of this U-Shaped hose, then remove the hose.

UHose.jpg

Step 2. Undo these 2 screws, it will allow you lift up the intake pipe giving you more room.

2nuts.jpg

Step 3. Loosen the 2 adjustable clamps on the hose connecting to the plenum, also the other small one seen in the picture.

plenum.jpg

Step 4. Disconnect the loom plug (may vary in appearance). Then just move 2 disconnected looms off to the side. You don't have to remove the 2 circled screws.

loom.jpg

Step 5. There are 8 allen screws to undo all the way along the plastic cover as circled below. Once you have removed them all you can then slide out the plastic cover.

rockercover.jpg

Step 6. Once you have removed the plastic cover you'll see the lead pictured below, with 6 looms connecting to the top of each coilpack, undo the looms that connect to the top of each coilpack. Then remove the small screws that hold the length of cable in place and remove it.

(Coil Pack Lead)

somecable.jpg

nocover.jpg

Step 7. Now, at this stage you will see the top of each coil pack, I pulled out the whole cradle and coil pack as described next but you dont have to that. You can just remove the screws that hold each coil pack in. This how to pull it all out.

Unscrew the gold/bronze bolts that hold the coil pack cradles in place. There is about 6 or 7 of them. Once they are removed you can pullout the coilpacks and cradle to see the spark plugs underneath.

(Top of Coil Packs)

noloom.jpg

(Coil Packs and Cradle)

coilpacks.jpg

Step 8. Now that you can see inside, it is recommended that you spray some compressed air inside to clear/dislodge any crap that may fall into the combustion camber once you have taken out the spark plugs. Now remove the spark plugs and put in the new ones!

Step 9. Put it all back together.

Edited by Shane
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

anyone know if you just pull the coilpacks straight out once the two screws are removed?

seems like the pack is still attached to something underneath and i'm not game enough to put too much force into pulling it out without knowing.

had the plugs in mine done a few weeks ago. Used NGK iridiums to suit rb25det.

Took in for a tune the other day and had problems. Apparently I should have used NGK iridiums to suit rb20det as they run cooler. She runs nicely now and the plugs are cheaper!

Hey so which one should you use?

rb20 or rb25 sparks? should you also get it tuned after the installing the new sparks?

I love this tutorial.

Found it over a year ago, made it into word doco format.

Printed it off in colour and make sure it's around everytime i change em juts to be sure.

Thanks matey !

Awesome job!

Used the changing oil one for awhile but thats piiiss easy so don't need it now.

(but not easy if you've never done it before, which is where i was awhile back)

The best thing is, changin oil and spark plugs must be 80% of what a 'service' is and you never know exactly what they're doing........so get in there guys and do it yourself.

• 4 weeks later...

Would the author of this tutorial please add:

Loosen the plugs, BUT before removing them, blow the area thoroughly clean with compressed air.

Can't believe people still pull dirty plugs and wonder why they suddenly develop a miss after dislodging crap into the combustion chamber.

Regards.