SAU Community

Best Spark Plugs?

Unlike the RB20 & RB26, the RB25 engines use a BKR style plug not BCPR. Although in most situations these type plugs can be interchanged. If you want a long life plug than go with either a set of NGK BKR5EIX-11 Iridium IX or PFR5G-11 Platinum otherwise a set of BKR5E-11 or BKR5ES-11 copper core units will do the trick.

Unlike the RB20 & RB26, the RB25 engines use a BKR style plug not BCPR. Although in most situations these type plugs can be interchanged. If you want a long life plug than go with either a set of NGK BKR5EIX-11 Iridium IX or PFR5G-11 Platinum otherwise a set of BKR5E-11 or BKR5ES-11 copper core units will do the trick.

Why so cold?

The tip is actually denoted by the suffix i.e. E, ES, EIX... The prefix i.e. BKR, BCPR... refers to plug thread and body height.

and there is bugger all difference between bkr and bcpr in body size. both have same thread size and pretty much the same body size (I think the bkr is something like 2mm taller from memory)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Just looked at a mates 32 as he is having detonation issues. First check was the plugs and coilpacks. He has NGK PFR6G 11. I haven't ever used these plugs in either of my RB's and was wondering if they are suitable. The engine is a pretty stock one with exhaust, fmic and stock everything else with standard boost. I always thought the .8 gapped plugs were best and have used BKR6E in both my RB's being a redtop HR31 20 and S2 25, I am changing to BCPR7ES as I am runing a bit more boost. I have a pic of my new plugs yet to go in compared to the ones I pulled out of his 20 to compare. He plans to get some splitfires anyway but wanted to cancel out the plugs as an issue.

post-40211-0-99423000-1397795457_thumb.jpeg

Plugs rarely cause detonation unless they are too hot a heat range. His plugs look in reasonable shape. Detonation is usually caused by either running too lean or too much timing. Coils won't have anything to do with causing detonation. A misfire yes, but detonation no.

As for gap, the bigger the better. Standard gap is 1.1mm. You only need to reduce the gap when running much higher boost and/or the coils can't cope.