SAU Community

Circuit Racing Thread

Snowman

Sold the excel cup car

Was going to run with the outlaws with my R33 under aasa, two cars written off and another three with big panel damage, last weekend at lakeside. Don't know if I can be bothered.

I'm getting sick of replacing door mirrors and fixing damage.

I might just stick with time attack.

Still PSCRAC has allow the r33 to run in there group, I may have a run with them.

Thing I've found with motor sports is there is % of people that are complete tools and will do anything to win a $2 pastic cup. It's starting to wear a little thin.

If I'm going to run my car and spend all that money, I had really better enjoy myself.

Quiet thread is quiet.

What's people's plans for 2014?

Planning to do whatever track days i can to get the car setup and me some seat time for 2014... So i can join a regular series and enjoy it :D

• 1 year later...

Reviving a dead thread since I'm back in the game.

I sadly quit the R35 racing project back in 2013 because the budget couldn't handle such an expensive mistress. I blew the engine the next time out after my first race weekend and I just lost heart. Part of me also needed a change from the GT-R scene after 10+ years and a new challenge.

The first new challenge was to try my hand at Radicals. That was a mistake as I just couldn't drive them. I couldn't physically handle the G Forces at play for more than a lap or 2. By the end I hated being in the car so I moved on. I then jumped into a Ginetta which was a cool little bus only to sadly have it taken from me by an out of control Ferrari at Bathurst - which was my first race in it. I really liked that little car - and racing at Bathurst was a bucket list item. It was the whole reason I gave up Tarmac rallies was to get to race at Bathurst. And I must say before the indecent it was such an awesome experience. In many ways it was even more intense than Targa was - especially in the pouring rain.

But I was a bit flat after the crash for a few months and figured I'd get out of the game - until I got a call asking if I was keen to do the new Bathurst 6hr at Easter next year in an EVO X RS. It was a great offer and one I've jumped at. It's given me a new lease of life in the sport.

I'm not overly keen to find a budget to run a full championship anywhere - but I will look at doing a few of the "fun" events that are kicking around.

Scotsman (Chris from Racepace) and I just signed up to do the Winton 300, and we have also both signed up to do the next Sports GT round at Phillip Island in November as well. Fingers crossed we can also look at the Wakefield 300 early next year as well. There seems to be more of these fun type of events that let people bring a range of cars and at achievable budgets so was seeing if anyone else out there was doing anything these days?

I then jumped into a Ginetta which was a cool little bus only to sadly have it taken from me by an out of control Ferrari at Bathurst - which was my first race in it.

Was this a couple of months ago? did the broken Ginetta get sent back to WRS? If so, I saw the car (helped them unload it off the truck). Ouch - I feel for you. Those Ginettas are a sweet bus, all right. I hear they have a higher hp option in the pipeline.

Yep. Steve purchased the wreck back off me. He picked it up after the Aust GT Phillip Island 101 round in May and took it back to QLD.

It was super cool - but it definitely needed a little bit more go. Especially given it has to locally compete against the Doughnut King V6 Exige which is fairly cheater spec against official GT4 BOP measures. If you could make it 250rwkw's it'd be mega though as Prod Sports etc doesn't require the cars to meet any specific BOP.

It was awesome fun to drive and cheap to run and I'd dearly love to get in either another one - or else something similar in concept in the future.

11129462_10153766096552564_1123946109979

Although running with the GT guys was pretty daunting with the speed differences - but given it's also a good Winton / Wakefield 300 car it'd be great to get one just for some fun in those events.

Yep that's the one. Was a bit more banged up though. Steve told me that a Ferrari ran into it.

Have you talked to Steve about their proposed V8 Ginetta? He's had a bit of interest so far, and it sounds like a bit of a ball tearer (aiming for a reliable 450hp, though the options he's considering will probably give end users the ability to tweak to up to 600hp without too much drama). Will be a bit more exxy than the 4 cyl ones though. I've been trying to talk him into putting a Honda K20 into the 4 cyl cars - I reckon that would make a great U2L contender (or K24 if it's a 2.5 limit - I'm not familiar with their regs)

Yeah sadly the flying Ferrari caused more $$$ worth of damage than it cost me to buy.

The thing with 2B Prod Sports is you can do what you like with the engine as long as it's under 6L. (just can't make it forced induction if it's not forced induction to begin with).

Currently it's a Class B car in Prod Sports - could have a jump of power and still be Class B safe as the classes are based upon lap times. If it gets too much more power though it will go Class A and have to race Cup Cars and say that Daytona Coupe thing (which is now FARKEN fast). That's all good presuming it can handle that much power. The one great thing about the car now is it's low cost on brakes, fuel and tyres and the Quaife box is cheap to maintain (probably max $3K refresh costs per season). Not sure how much that would change switching to a V8 powered car.

But I know he has that spare V8 from the 3rd G50Z (the one that was badly burnt). They seem like fun although they aren't proving to be overly reliable currently.

But I'd certainly be interested to see what he comes up with if he gets a V8 one done. It'd be great if there was something else to take it to the Exige at Bathurst 12hr as that's currently a 1 car race in Class C.

Nice one.

I think entry numbers are up around the 70 mark now so it will definitely run 2 separate fields again.

PIARC are running a club race meet this weekend for the first time which Chris and I are going down for. Will be a bit of a run what you brung event but it should be some fun, cheap simple racing. It's good to see some base club level racing events in Vic.

anyone here running in Pulsar Challenge?

Apparently you can build one for around $5000 and race meets should set you back around $500 a round. was thinking of splitting the cost with a mate and running the enduros with him.

keen to hear people's experience with them!

Yep, me.

Been running since the start of the season and ive never had more fun in a car! (The GTR is a different beast, I still love it).

It is a serious amount of fun with grids as large as 23 (I think) cars, but as an entry level category yes there are a certain % of tools, and unfortunately panel repairs are routinely part of post-round repairs, except if you manage to stay out front all day! Its a big learning curve anyway, and great pathway to higher level racing and good race etiquette. It forces you to drive fast, and consistently, something sprints dont do; so that in itself is a challenge with such close cars.

It is extremely competitive given the tight regs, and you really require skill to do well; you cant just buy your way to a win, which is great if you have a budget. I didnt keep track of costs but yeah id say my car cost < $5k to build, but I do everything myself. To be competitive you need to do things like weld the diff, have a good exhaust and very finely tune suspension setup.

Weve done x2 Winton and x2 Wakefield and x1 SMP so far. We have another Winton and Wakefield to go. x3 of the rounds include a second day for an endurance race, x2 1 hour enduro and one 2 hour enduro at the end of the year, so plenty of driving value for the $$.

Pic of last round at Wakefield, Race 1:

post-17897-0-41830200-1440640359_thumb.jpg

• Like 2