SAU Community

Air-Con Gurgle Noise

dyl33

Hey SAUers,

The other day I heard a gurgling noise from the air-con. When stopped at traffic lights and was wondering is this normal noise or am I low on refrigerant or something, Air-con is still cold.

Is there a way to check air-con refrigerant level?

How do you know it was the AC gurgling?

I'm curious to know about checking level too.

And to jump in you AC thread =)

I hear a knocking from inside the dash when I start the car and sometimes when I make an adjustment on the climate control unit.

Its only about 4 knocks then it stops.

Anyone know what that could be?

I have searched and asked several people with no success.

If it's a bubbling/gurgling noise then it will be air in your heater core caused by a coolant leak.

If it's a low pitched hissing sound then the a/c system will be low. The noise occurs when there isn't enough charge in the system and you can hear the liquid/vapour expanding in the evaporator as it passes through the TX valve.

A clunking sound behind the dash will be the servo/door blend motors/doors.

The only way to check the charge of an A/C system is with a set of A/C manifold gauges. (assuming the system has no sight glass)

Edited by White GTS-T

If it's a bubbling/gurgling noise then it will be air in your heater core caused by a coolant leak.

If it's a low pitched hissing sound then the a/c system will be low. The noise occurs when there isn't enough charge in the system and you can hear the liquid/vapour expanding in the evaporator as it passes through the TX valve.

Sounds a little bit like both but I don't have any coolant leaks

Could be that you are getting a little low on gas. My commodore does it when it gets low on gas (has a slow leak in the compressor and needs regassing every 18 months or so).

I'm going to change coolant bleed it properly and get a/c re-gassed to be safe