SAU Community

Calsonic R32 Gtr Replica

JimmyRickard

I bought my R32 GTR in 2007. It has been both the bane of my existence and the love of my life, like any good GTR should.

I bought the car with a bottom end rebuild and R33 GTR Crank but stock head and pretty much everything else, except for the suspension, wheels and exhaust.

Oh and a shitty IMPUL ecu piggyback that was leaning out the engine (yay)

2107_121059690300_2512_n.jpg

The old girl on carsales

68907_10150306063645301_3544860_n.jpg

Note the high-quality timber used to secure the battery.

66531_10150306063410301_1169754_n.jpg

After using it as a daily for a few years, I finally cracked it when I was commuting 3 hours a day in traffic with the GTR's famous air conditioning.

So it was settled, I would be turning it into a track car. It was around this time I had a short stay in Japan and saw this beautiful machine in the flesh at the Omori Factory:

calsonicr32gtrwheels.jpg

My inspiration

And then, without even thinking, this happened

302166_10150846888095301_1876036619_n.jp

Shit.

So without an interior, there was no turning back. Somewhere in between me stripping the car and the state it is in today the car received new -7 turbos (after the ceramics shitting themselves after one lap at Wakefield) a Vipec ECU (tuned to 260atw on 17psi), a HiOctane Extended Sump, a massive radiator, oil cooler and catch can, and some other bits I can't remember. I remember paying for them though that's for sure.

Next step was to install a cage (or at least half of one)

303630_10152113827770301_1220385594_n.jp

Courtesy of Pro Fabrication

220901_10152113826240301_2019784504_o.jp

Also tidied up the interior with a racing seat, door trims and some paint on the floors

614574_10152113827405301_1159352651_o.jp

615201_10152113824825301_602903742_o.jpg

It was around this time I had a brainwave and decided I would get the car re-registered. I forget why. Anyway, the car had a few minor spots of rust which needed to be sorted out, so just to make life just a little bit harder on ourselves we thought f**k it let's get it sprayed.

403554_10152266803750301_200188093_n.jpg

71492_10152790937425301_1378802444_n.jpg

936721_10152790940395301_90872412_n.jpg72844_10152790939560301_1970306297_n.jpg

Some N1 parts

Everything is sanded back ready for paint. What colour you ask? Great question

936137_10152790938325301_138867837_n.jpg

Stay tuned

• Like 2

Nice.

Better start shopping for some LMGT1s!

Funny you should say that. I have just spent the last month looking for a nice clean set of LMGT1's. Almost bought a set off fatz before I ran out of money and had to opt out. Funny thing is that the original rims aren't actually LMGT1's.

5021717338_b974bb4623.jpg

From what I understand, they are an IMPUL RS magneisum centre lock rim, one-offs made only for this car. Closest I found to it are these:

hoshinojpg.jpg

Hard to find, especially in 18x10 which is the original rim size.

Good pick up. The devil is in the detail.

I'm surprised that they were allowed to run 18" wheels!

Aust cars were all 17". Dunno what the grpA regs specified.

I'm surprised that they were allowed to run 18" wheels!

Aust cars were all 17". Dunno what the grpA regs specified.

yeah and the slicks it ran were HUGE!

ay0f8449.jpg

What a f**king beast

Hey Jimmy,

In Japan they have a few replicas already which may be helpful

dsc02808_zps2d4b8a21.jpg

I also have a GTR magazine at home which has a special topic on the Calsonic R32 replica including parts, ecu, wheels etc....

I will dig it out for you and post some pics and see if have any relevant links for you.

Hey Jimmy,

In Japan they have a few replicas already which may be helpful

dsc02808_zps2d4b8a21.jpg

I also have a GTR magazine at home which has a special topic on the Calsonic R32 replica including parts, ecu, wheels etc....

I will dig it out for you and post some pics and see if have any relevant links for you.

Amazing! I am yet to find pics of some decent replicas so I'd really appreciate that. My biggest challenge at the moment is the rims. Don't particularly want to do a single hub conversion, and I seriously doubt I will ever find an authentic set off the Calsonic GTR. At this stage I'm just going to buy some Rota P45R's in white (LMGT4 knockoffs) to track bash in. Also have a set of V8 Supercar Alcons to fit under the rims so I can't be too picky and wait for a set of impul RS's to come along that may not have enough clearance for the brakes (which are stupidly big - I'll post photos later)

I agree about the wheels. I think they are a make/break aspect of the build.

Why don't you go LMGT1s in 18x10?

No- you will never find an authentic set (can you imagine Terry selling a set of GMS GTR wheels...?)And doing a single hub conversion will scare you money wise, let alone the nitrogen tank, and wheel rattle guns to go with...

How far are you planning to go with it? Right down to engine bay and interior controls? Like brake bias, instrument cluster etc?

The Calsonic GTR's magnesium rims are not just a center lock version of the IMPUL RS.

Ill give that they are VERY VERY similar in design, but if you look closely, the RS has 40 rim bolts, whereas the Calsonic cars rims only have 30, and also the mag versions have a deeper recess for the center lock setup.

Id say that the rims the Calsonic GTR used back in the day, was "copied" and mass marketed for street use, as they would have been in high demand when this car was at its peak.

So even if you could find the centers, you'd have to have lips and barrels made up to suit them.

I agree about the wheels. I think they are a make/break aspect of the build.

Why don't you go LMGT1s in 18x10?

No- you will never find an authentic set (can you imagine Terry selling a set of GMS GTR wheels...?)And doing a single hub conversion will scare you money wise, let alone the nitrogen tank, and wheel rattle guns to go with...

How far are you planning to go with it? Right down to engine bay and interior controls? Like brake bias, instrument cluster etc?

I'm trying to sell my current rims. If they go for a decent price I will definitely buy some LMGT1's, but I'm a bit concerned about ruining them on the track. Don't have to worry about that with Rotas!

As far as how far I'm going with it, it all depends on budget. Which is fairly limited at the moment :P The exterior is the easy part, it's getting interior and engine parts custom made to exactly replicate is the hard (and expensive) part. Also, finding accurate, detailed photos of the cabin, engine bay, fuel setup, underbody etc are a bit hard to find. At the end of the day, this is a track car first, 'show' car second.

The Calsonic GTR's magnesium rims are not just a center lock version of the IMPUL RS. Ill give that they are VERY VERY similar in design, but if you look closely, the RS has 40 rim bolts, whereas the Calsonic cars rims only have 30, and also the mag versions have a deeper recess for the center lock setup. Id say that the rims the Calsonic GTR used back in the day, was "copied" and mass marketed for street use, as they would have been in high demand when this car was at its peak. So even if you could find the centers, you'd have to have lips and barrels made up to suit them.

Yep. So it's never going to happen then. Good to know!

You can always have the centers machined out of aluminium to replicate originals, with back milled spokes so they are lighter and stronger than the original mag ones.

There are also a few companies that can spin you up the inner and outer barrels to suit your needs too.

So never say never.

Anything can be done..... with enough cash!

Found a pic of the Calsonic GTR interior. Hard to tell if this is kept in original condition or not but it looks close enough:

RIMG0583.jpg

I believe the Steering wheel is a Nismo 330F, although I am yet of find one wrapped in alacantra, or with that horn button. Door cards I can return back to stock, although I originally pulled them out because the wings on the seat didn't quite fit. I plan to have brake bias installed eventually, however that requires removing the ABS and installing a pedal box, which isn't high on my priorities at the moment. So i guess it's just the gear knob and dash I'd have trouble hunting down. That dash is probably worth a fortune. Anyone seen the gear knob before?

This is what it looks like currently for comparison

614551_10152113826910301_143472606_o.jpg

I also seem to be missing a great number of switches. God knows wtf they control

The Tacho looks like a Stack I think...?

In the right hand corner there is digital W/T and O/T (water/oil temps) Boost, obviously and something else I can't make out.

The little switches could be anything. One will be a high/low boost. By then end, Aust cars were running water cooled brakes etc, so there was a lot to control. The knob in the centre of the console looks like it might be a 4wd controller.

Notice also that the doors have a window winder :P

Oh yeah this will be awesome!! Would love to do something like this. Have fun with this Jimmy, I'll definitely be watching this thread for updates :)

Cheers