SAU Community

Coolant Swirl Pot

Roy

I am looking for a coolant swirl pot to go between my block and the radiator return. For the life of me I cant find anyone that makes one to suit Skylines. I thought maybe Sard or ARC do one but cant find anything. Those ARC ones I saw for other models suggest custom is better.

Anyone have any ideas?

Is your engine breathing much Roy? I noticed the Gibson 32's ran a fairly small one, but the Sierra's ran an 8 or 10 litre pot. They must have had a lot of issues with air in the system.

I have a Chinese one here to fit, just run small hoses to all the high points in the cooling system and the lower return to the bottom radiator hose or radiator drain bung.

post-63525-0-09528700-1365044655_thumb.jpg

Since putting the plazmaman plenum on the car its a lot harder and time consuming to bleed properly. In the coming weeks I will be changing turbos a bunch of times meaning dropping coolant etc and CBF having to do time consuming bleeds each time.

So looking to grab a Greddy Header tank and connect to a high point of back of block but also want to connect to the return line. Not stressed if I canf dins anything as I will be connecting to the top of the radiator...but the radiator isnt ideal due to the top tank shape

This is what I am looking specifically for....though nozzles orientated for a Nissan

$(KGrHqN,!rcE88g9dOHYBPllt9Vhr!~~60_12.J

Roy i have a GREDDY and well worth the stuffing around to get it running....

i removed my overflow bottle completely and run the breather from rad straight to the top inlet on the swirl pot.

Bottom outlet goes down towards the heater section

2 side mounts are on on the top of plenum and bottom of plenum.

i can get some pics if you want as im running plazmaman aswell :)

Edited by Frosty

So where do you pipe your overflow to when it gets hot ? Nowhere if I read correctly?

with the greddy its virtually its own overflow so if it does blow through it goes straight back into the swirl pot...

the other way i have seen it done is remove the rad cap (or dont have one) so that pipe actually becomes part of the cooling system so its a constant flow of coolant from that top port of rad to the swirl pot

The latter is what I am familiar with. You put an atmo reservoir cap on the radiator and you run your 1.3bar cap on the swirl pot which is the highest point

I guess I will have to put the in line swirl pot on my list of things to tack up for someone else to weld up for me :( Just isnt enough time and money with farging cars :)

Scott...my understanding of why the Gibson R32 ran them is because they had lowered the radiator to fit the air intake above it. So they had to run a small to stop air pockets forming in what otherwise would have been high points in the engine. The Cossies run a larger one to boost capacity as they also run separate alloy coolers for just the turbo water line that goes from the turbo, to the cooler to the header tank

LOL, I know...but if you read how Frosty is doing it he is running a std high pressure cap on the radiator and no overflow after his header tank. I had not seen that method before

The only way to do it properly is as per the diagram above.

We weld up the radiator filler hole and use the header tank to fill.

-4an fitting from highest point of the radiator to the header 1.5in from the top

-4an from the original cylinder head bleed point to same height on header tank.

Base of header tank T'ed into the lower radiator hose heater hose or the lower tank of the radiator preferably.

The swirl pots that are only there to create a new high point. The swirl pot in the top hose should still bleed its highest point to a header tank

The only way to do it properly is as per the diagram above.

We weld up the radiator filler hole and use the header tank to fill.

-4an fitting from highest point of the radiator to the header 1.5in from the top

-4an from the original cylinder head bleed point to same height on header tank.

Base of header tank T'ed into the lower radiator hose heater hose or the lower tank of the radiator preferably.

The swirl pots that are only there to create a new high point. The swirl pot in the top hose should still bleed its highest point to a header tank

can you make something like this for r32? whats the cost? im sure Roy would be keen on one aswell?

That's the setup I am doing Dale, how is yours going?

Slowly. :verymad:

Too much time at work; not enough time with shops open...

​Got a couple more fittings to pick up; than I'm good to go. Hopefully Monday.

Also, apologies to Roy; I wasn't being a smartarse, but I had the pic handy , and didn't get time to edit with an explanation.

Edited by Daleo

can you make something like this for r32? whats the cost? im sure Roy would be keen on one aswell?

I fabricate those all the time. Pretty much every GTR I've built to be raced has a header tank and swirl pot system.

The swirl pot alone is $180, at the moment I'm closed for a week so nothing will be getting fabricated before the 15th