SAU Community

My M35 Stagea Build Thread

spoolin12

Hey everyone. I just thought I would post up a thread with the build progress of my M35.

Its no 600hp monster, but I wanted a daily driver that was reliable but still fun to drive on the weekends.

A big thanks goes out to a few specific members of SAU who helped along the way - Craig, Andy, Dale & Scotty. Its been awesome having your help and knowledge!

It all started with a pretty much box stock M35 (Had some shorter springs and G35 wheels). First things first, I wanted to make it a little tougher looking, so I painted the headlights black and decided to cover up the top half of the 'volvo' looking tail lights.

stagleft.jpg

stagrear.jpg

stagright.jpg

After enjoying it for a few weeks I had the Language conversion done and also found that the standard rotors began to warp once again after machining... but that was an easy fix with these...

3118l.jpg

I had to pick up some wider wheels to clear the new brakes..

Before;

Before.jpg

After

after.jpg

done.jpg

install.jpg

The difference was massive. Pulling up a 2 tone car with these standard brakes was never going to go well -

sidebyside.jpg

upgrade.jpg

Part 2 to follow

After getting this thing to stop... it was only natural to make it faster. I jumped on the Phenolic runner spacer group buy here on SAU and started looking into an exhaust. I wanted something clean and neat looking and didn't want it to be too loud and drone on the highway. I ended up installing a Fujitsbo Legalis R.

exhaust.jpg

It was at this point I had realised how bad the SAU forums were... another group buy popped up.. this time for a front mount. I was hooked on my car and the support on these forums was fantastic.

IK-STAGEA-GT2-SH1.jpg

I managed to take a quick shot at the studio;

NM35-long.jpg

setup.jpg

Next was suspension. I fitted some BC coilovers and some whiteline sway bars -

br-series-group.jpg

Works Bell paddle shift kit. Love the carbon.

_BI_8701.jpg

It was time to finish up the exhaust.. and while I was there it seems logical to high-flow the standard turbo right?

I took the car to PRTechnology - a local porsche tune shop that I had done work for in the past and thought these guys would do the job properly;

Any they sure did

photo%202.JPG

photo%201.JPG

photo%203.JPG

It also had some good company

photo%204.JPG

I picked up a Spec Dock iphone dock - It seamlessly integrated into the ashtray, works with the standard head unit and also charges the iphone/ipod.

_BI_9221.jpg

I wanted to make the most of the high-flow and dropped in some Siemens 60lb injectors a Greddy e-Manage, Eboost Street boost controller and a custom suction pipe again built by PRTechnology.

intake.JPG

Also fitted a boost guage

_BI_9222.jpg

To cope with all the power I installed an external transmission cooler and also a shift kit that would shorten the gear changes.

The plan all along was to hit 220KW at all 4, so I was happy with the result;

Dyno.jpg

After spending some time in a R35 GTR I fell in love with the seats... and managed to find some in the for sale section.

They fitted and match perfect with the leather in the rear and door panels. Best of all I mounted them low, so I finally felt I was sitting in a sports car and not in a high chair.

_BI_9228.jpg

_BI_9238.jpg

_BI_9231.jpg

Lucky last is some new wheels. I wanted to keep the silver/black theme;

_BI_9206.jpg

_BI_9193.jpg

Done and done!

_BI_9207.jpg

_BI_9303.jpg

_BI_9326.jpg

_BI_9354.jpg

_BI_9360.jpg

This thing has made me fall in love with cars. I was driving up the old pacific highway a few months back and was having a play with a R8 V10 and Ferrari F430. They both pulled over and couldn't believe that a funny looking silver wagon was able to keep up the whole time. Love this thing!

Chris.

your car truely is perfect. Well other then it aint black ;) What you have done is exactly what i want to do to mine even the same wheels.

I hadnt thought about painting the inside of the lights black but yeah that is sexy and i might have to consider doing the same to mine.

Good luck with the sale some lucky bugger is going to score with this.

Edited by Brick

Wow, beautiful car man, very very nice.

Good luck with your sale. I know if I held off for a few months with my purchase, I would have definitely been interested!

Motivational build thread Chris!

Really like the look of the Hiro's wish i was in a position to buy them when you sold them. Can you recall the size of them, tyres and did u run spacers?

Still wanting to black my headlights out too (thanks for that little guide you gave me like a year ago... still hasn't been put to use)

Cheers

Nick

Motivational build thread Chris!

Really like the look of the Hiro's wish i was in a position to buy them when you sold them. Can you recall the size of them, tyres and did u run spacers?

Still wanting to black my headlights out too (thanks for that little guide you gave me like a year ago... still hasn't been put to use)

Cheers

Nick

pass the guide on? i'll put it to good use!

There are no DIY's. But its a fairly simple process.

You take out the headlight and remove all the globes etc. Then heat up the sealing rubber with a heat gun. Once hot, you can remove the front clear section and then you paint the inside section. Once painted you can re-heat the rubber and press the light back together. You have to make sure its sealed properly or you will have issues with water finding its way back into the light.

Its not too hard, but you really don't want to make a mistake. A single new light from nissan is about $2800.00. I found out the hard way!

Hope this helps!

forgive me if this seems like a silly question but... is there a certain type of paint I should be using? or just colour it in with a sharpie :P

Any paint will do just make sure to scuff/sand surface and wipe with grease and wax remover before spraying. That way it gives the paint something to stick too. A heat paint would be good incase of lamp/engine heat. Hope this helps

Hi,

New to the forum. Currently in the market for a Stagea. Currently driving an 03 Audi Quattro. Love the car, comfortable and drives well. Just costs a bit too much for repairs and not practical enough for towing and drives to the snow etc.

I would like to know some of the costings for the enhancements that you have made?

I am probably going to import a M35 through j-spec imports, they assure me its cheaper than buying here.

I would like to give it a few enhancements though, brakes and a few 'go faster' parts, exhaust, intercooler, maybe boost controller. But I don't know how much its all going to cost in the end, I want the best for the car so I don't want to add a boost controller and up the psi if its going to cause premature faults. I need something that's still reliable even with a few modifications.

Any info would be great, thanks guys.

• Like 1