SAU Community

*loach*s Photo Diary

*LOACH*

How awesome to be able to just drop into these places when you have a little spare time! Have you manged to get into the zama storage facility, that would be a dream tour!

No sadly, I don't know anyone who works at Nissan. I did know a few people at Toyota and Mitsubishi but no one at Nissan who could get me in.

Great pics :thumbsup:

jealous of all these japan trips, MUST go there one day

Thanks, I actually only had one trip to Japan. I just haven't got around to coming back to Australia yet...and may not ever :)

• Like 2

Paul, great to meet you that day. and a massive apology for being so late. Next time we meet, whether it is Japan or Australia, I owe you a solid bowl of ramen. Hope work is going well! And you've had me really tossing up whether to jump overseas or not...

Oh and by the way, we went to the Yokohama Ramen museum later that day - some of the stuff there is top notch, others, a little average. But well worth it.

Paul, great to meet you that day. and a massive apology for being so late. Next time we meet, whether it is Japan or Australia, I owe you a solid bowl of ramen. Hope work is going well! And you've had me really tossing up whether to jump overseas or not...

Oh and by the way, we went to the Yokohama Ramen museum later that day - some of the stuff there is top notch, others, a little average. But well worth it.

Not at all, sorry I didn't have a clue how to get to the place. You don't owe me anything it was great to meet you and your mate. Let me know if you are back over here and I will do likewise if in 'straya. I will have to get to that Ramen museum.

• 2 weeks later...

I played a volleyball tournament at the Yokohama International Swimming pool yesterday. In winter they cover the pool with a floor and play volleyball, tennis etc on it. As Yokohama is a partner city for the Tokyo olympics there is a possibility that some events will be held there although I have heard that it is likely that the majority of events may be in Odaiba and elsewhere in Tokyo. These are my worst photos yet - I just couldn't get them level, sorry.

IMG_1933_zps5f7e907f.jpg

Diving area is just perfect for a hilarious Youtube video :)

IMG_1935_zps16a81101.jpg

Such a huge space - 4 volleyball courts fit with ease.

IMG_1937_zpsd50fb805.jpg

New Years at Ikegami Honmonji

5 tier pagoda looking like a Christmas tree with what could be some nice presents underneath... for me??? Sadly, no.

IMG_1949_zps52f3a297.jpg

IMG_1951_zps1d6cee08.jpg

IMG_1953_zps1cb00117.jpg

IMG_1956_zps3d819725.jpg

IMG_1962_zpsef3de4ed.jpg

IMG_1963_zps76f6871a.jpg

Amazake - yum

IMG_1964_zps087c69a7.jpg

how was the NYE and christmas period over there? Think i was there for christmas once a long time ago. Don't remember much of it now, because I was really young probably. Or else I was never there...ahha. Really like that pic of the couple looking at the statue!

how was the NYE and christmas period over there? Think i was there for christmas once a long time ago. Don't remember much of it now, because I was really young probably. Or else I was never there...ahha. Really like that pic of the couple looking at the statue!

Pretty quiet. New Years here is like our Christmas - more for family than partying or whatnot. However the winter holiday does seem to be when the rich folk bring out their expensive toys. I took these shots today when I rode on my pushy, like a pennyless hippie, out to the Imperial Palace.

IMG_1967_zps68a1526e.jpg

IMG_1969_zpsb041db00.jpg

IMG_1970_zps522869fa.jpg

IMG_1971_zpsd5a0532d.jpg

IMG_1973_zps2129ad12.jpg

IMG_1974_zps50b5b507.jpg

• Like 1

Rode out to Shinbashi and took photos.

I love wagons.

IMG_1976_zpsa413778d.jpg

As nice as it is to see an attractive woman driving a cool car, nothing gives me hope for the future and fills me with a feeling that all is well in the world like an older guy driving a cool car. The fella driving this was probably in his sixties.

IMG_1977_zps201d58d6.jpg

Pretty rough Galant but would clean up nice.

IMG_1978_zpse87ea973.jpg

Shinbashi station with an old train parked out the front.

IMG_1982_zps6443fcdf.jpg

After many attempts I think I have finally sorted out how to get home from Yurakucho station, take that Shinbashi and your confusing, labyrinthine maze of side streets and walkways...

IMG_1983_zps8560bcf2.jpg

Nimble and easy to park is exactly what you want in Tokyo, therefore this:

IMG_1987_zps554c8be7.jpg

Finally, a French car's appearance that doesn't make me want to vomit blood. I love it and with a V6 in a small hatchback you can't go wrong especially as it's RWD.

IMG_1986_zpsbe2b582e.jpg

By the way, if you have any suggestions related to improving my (non-existent) photography skills please post them up.

Edited by *LOACH*

• 2 weeks later...

I visited Odaiba on Monday.

These vending machines have a camera to see when people are standing in front of them which changes the image on the screen. I have heard that they recommend different beverages based on the gender/age etc of the people the camera sees e.g. ice tea for grandmothers, cola for young guys etc.

IMG_1991_zps9c0943b0.jpg

Train that goes from Shinbashi to Odaiba, automated with no driver. Great view and it goes over The Rainbow Bridge.

IMG_1994_zps574e1a22.jpg

They were shooting for an ad or kids show or something at Odaiba.

IMG_1998_zps5a1bacfa.jpg

I visited the Miraikan which is a science museum (like the Powerhouse museum in Sydney).

It had a turbo that was powerful enough to send stuff into space...boost, is there anything it can't do?

IMG_2001_zps92488fb7.jpg

Asimo - more fluid in it's movements than I had expected.

IMG_2007_zps460e0ee1.jpg

Model of the earth made up of many small LCD screens. Displayed weather, changing world throughout time etc.

IMG_2008_zps9e15a7c8.jpg

Parked in Odaiba.

IMG_2011_zps84a40339.jpg

Edited by *LOACH*

After Odaiba I went to a building in Hammamatsucho. I preferred this building to Skytree and the building in Shijuku. The lower height means you get to see the surrounding area in greater detail and I felt a part of the city rather than the more detached feeling I got with the higher buildings. Also the atmosphere inside was a lot nicer with dim lighting, nice music and far less people. It is 500Y (discount ticket otherwise about 620yen I think)which is a lot cheaper than Skytree but obviously more than the free Shinjuku building.

IMG_2022_zpsc074ec80.jpg

IMG_2023_zps1467e85f.jpg

IMG_2017_zpsf8eb2b21.jpg

IMG_2013_zpsd7d97d99.jpg

Edited by *LOACH*
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few random shots from around Tokyo.

Railway above road above boats, that's using your real estate efficiently.

IMG_2026_zps6340627d.jpg

RX-8 I like the pinstriping around the front bar vents/lights.

IMG_2033_zps6061cf64.jpg

IMG_2034_zpsa5031409.jpg

• 1 month later...

I went to an Urufuruzu concert (supporting acts Sambo Master and The Bawdies) in the Tokyo Sumo Hall today. Good fun and definitely a new experience for me as a concert venue. I didn't take photos during the concert as it wasn't allowed and I didn't wanna get kicked out, especially if it turned out to be a Sumo wrestler doing the kicking.

IMG_2087_zpsa0c1dc4f.jpg

IMG_2083_zps653561c5.jpg

The toilets had a soap dispenser, tap and hand drier all in the sink. All were operated by sensors so no touching of taps, buttons etc. Would have been perfect except the hand drier was blowing cold air (and hand driers do little more than blow water from one part of your hand to another part even when they do expel hot air).

IMG_2085_zps111a1435.jpg

Edited by *LOACH*

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the continual updates Paul! Looks amazing. I just love coming across random awesome cars in the parking lots, it's like you could get a surprise any day anywhere. F8cking love it. As for your photography, You're still on that point and shoot, right? not much you can do except make sure you're choosing the right setting for the environment and then maybe doing some editing on the PC afterwards - but for these purposes, I don't think you need to go to all that trouble (the editing, I mean) unless you have a lot of time and nothing to do. Unless, you also intend to start a blog or something, then you may want to. In fact..I have an idea. Have a quick read of the blog linked in my siggie, and then shoot me a PM when you've had a look, just a hi will do, then I will suggest something.

Thanks Chris. Is that your blog? It is epic, some great stuff in there. The photography is fantastic, I am guessing that the shots were taken with a DSLR. I plan on getting one at some point but am trying to save money at the moment. PMed you BTW.