SAU Community

Rb25 + Hks 3040

After some last minute, late night shenanigans my car finally got back on the road (after 6 months sitting in the backyard). What should have been a quick tune turned into a 6 hour adventure, with the std GTR injectors maxing out, then a hidden CAS ground wire becoming unearthed and not being discovered for 90mins (we thought the CAS died, and were awaiting a replacement to be delivered).

There was no EBC fitted as I wanted it to be wastegate only, but there seems to be some funky problem with the wastegate holding boost - even wound in fully to 1.2 bar.

Car's mods:

Custom spaghetti low mount turbo manifold

HKS 3040 .73 A/R

Trust type R wastegate

Greddy plenum

Aftermarket metal head gasket (unknown thickness)

Q45 t body + AFM

Trust 115mm intercooler

Sard 700cc injectors

HKS 256 + 264 reground copies (have a master now, can do these at will)

Full 3 inch Nismo exhaust, no center muffler

Will be setting up an SBC ID 3 tonight for another late night marathon, the car was detuned from this run to cope with additional boost, and more low rpm boost as well.

first%20tune%203040%20300kw.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tah Phil, I forgot to mention the tuners - it was done at Unigroup by Judd's pimped out tuner. I was impressed by the amount of additional features were on the software - Val and Chris @ Unigroup were genuinely nice people, even staying up way past their bedtime to finish it off. Jimmy is pretty good at tuning too, would be great if he could set up shop in Sydney permanently! While the guys were trying to pack up and close the shop Jimmy was still hard at it, trying to get anti-lag working well - would definately recommend the combination of Unigroup + Jimmy on a PowerFC controlled car.

yes...happy to hear another one happy about Jimmy's tune..

I was a bit worry at another thread when I mentioned a Apexi software tuner come to town, because I just worried my arxx get on the fire line, but good to see good result come..yes, I will ask him to setup the anti lag thing on my car too..wooooh..

Just a quick question, would not 264/264 provide you better middle range? or you have some plan in mind? also do you have the A/F print out?

Chris,

I just hope it is a simple waste gate issue although the signs point to that not being the case :)

But that was a roller coaster of a night, from the welding to the cas to that power steering belt, I haven’t had a night like that for ages.

But the car definitely has the goods to make a lot more with what it has now.

Well what takes 5 mins with the HC takes 30 seconds with the laptop. The ability to change injector pulse width modulation at certain rpm’s, graphical display for all the parameters and overall control of every parameter ala motec/autronic makes it a top bit of kit.

A shame it cost $$$ and it’s all in japanese :) But at the end of the day, even with a HC, if you know what you are doing then it will do the job :)

All the guys at Unigroup seem to be MAJOR night owls...
No wonder I can never contact them during the day, they work nites instead :)

Looking good. Certainly a good all round package with nice power. With that housing I would have thought boost might come in a bit earlier and hit a bit harder?

I noticed you are using a Nismo exhaust? I had the same, and it choked the car a fair bit. when I upgraded to a HKS super dragger I found more power everywhere and boost came in around 800rpm earlier with much crisper throttle off boost too. Easy to tell if it is hurting, just dump the exhaust off for a dyno run:)

the boost response seems similar to my 3037 until around 7-8psi, so I am sure the EBC when it goes on will help. How do you have the wastegate plumbed at the moment? what size gate, what size spring?

Steve: It has the middle muffler taken out, it's basically a 3 inch all the way with only the canon at the back. No idea about spring rate, or the diameter off hand. Oh and it's a screamer pipe (sounds pretty funny with a different note when it goes above 6500-ish rpm)

Sideway: Yeah, 264's would be better. This car was assembled late at nights using parts lying around the garage, they are the only RB25 cams here.

I think the tuning work was good, but I am looking for a very steep curve for that turbo kick.. hopefully the SBC will fix that. Can't be assed working out wtf is actually wrong with it, have no time and the SBC looks like it will be a big bandaid with the least amount of time to install.

Great to see it running Chris, it looks like it has a little wastegate leak (up to 6,000 rpm). Until the airlfow gets so high (over 6,000 rpm) then the little leak doesn't matter. It should get to 18 psi before 5,000 rpm I would have thought, that 6 or 7 psi will make a huge difference to the curve.

Bye-bye 2530, hello scary power, remember the Late Show and Mick Malloy in Sh1t Scared? Its not too late to go in the Dutton, well if not NSW then Vic :(

Whats all this talk about anti lag and PFC??? I have to come back to Sydney to get my car registered, before June 27 , if i can get my hands on a PFC in the next 2 weeks i may treat the old girl to a PFC instead of re-map :)

When you look at those two curves together, they have "potential" written all over them! It's going to be interesting to see what the power curve will be like, considering the boost that's still to be had in the mid range :)

Man - I just sat down for 1/2 and hour comparing Chris' to mine and I came out of my thinking with more questions than I first came in with - I need to gather my thoughts etc before I go asking questions -

But we have very similar setups amd here is mine...

dyno1.jpg

You don't seem to get the big kick that i get - but top end is not that much different - but when I look at the rev range - I seem to get more down low...

Interesting.....