SAU Community

Front Mount Intercooler In A N/a Worth It?

It pulled with a VE SS ute the other day. It's had minor things done to it, but you know. Pulls hard upwards from 3,000rpm.

Ok I have a LS1 (VY), and even at full weight a SS is going to leave... For Dead... A R33 N/A. The LS3 is going to make an even further mockery of a R33 N/A.

I think they were toying with you and using 50% throttle.

Just outta interest. Can you take a pic of the blue build plate and post that up please? :)

For even more gains you can remove your air flow meter, gut it and reinstall it. The AFM is only a restriction really. Literally a 10-15 minute job if you've got a big ass screwdriver to smash the guts out of it with and you'll gain 15 or so HP and your car will rev up much faster.

im confused, not sure if trolling.. so by gutting the afm you'll increase power, and not stuff up the readings?? and you're saying that a NA with a changed throttle body can make the same amount of power as a skyline running 6 psi of pressure?

i find all that reaally hard to believe.

someone please confirm/bust this. i won't sleep knowing a NA with cheap mods can generate the power of a turboed skyline running at 6psi.

Edited by hop1308

im confused, not sure if trolling.. so by gutting the afm you'll increase power, and not stuff up the readings?? and you're saying that a NA with a changed throttle body can make the same amount of power as a skyline running 6 psi of pressure?

i find all that reaally hard to believe.

someone please confirm/bust this. i won't sleep knowing a NA with cheap mods can generate the power of a turboed skyline running at 6psi.

Far out, some people don't read...

I never said CHANGE the throttle body. I said put one (an extra one) on the intercooler pipe work before the throttle body on the intake manifold.

The throttle body on the pipe work isn't attached to a cable. It just works off its own spring pressure. Once the intercooler fills up, the throttle body will be forced to open and then the air that enters the intake manifold is pressurised to a certain degree (roughly 6 psi depending on how strong the spring is on the throttle body).

The same result can be achieved with a valve but it's more effort. The throttle body has a large diameter and the butterfly opens and shuts by itself with the amount of air running past it. It's a very simple method. It also allows the car to idle because it doesn't shut completely.

It won't run QUITE as fast as a turboed car running 6 PSI, but it's a damn good increase for a little amount of work.

Gutting your AFM definitely increases your power a little bit, as there is less of a restriction to slow the air down.

You can run a little bit rich but that doesn't matter because you're forcing extra air into the engine. Don't gut the AFM unless you're fitting an intercooler and a means of controlling the air flow (valve or throttle body).

Just try it. If you don't like the results you can remove the parts and save them until you turbo the car, you're gunna need the parts anyway.

For all the naysayers that would probably struggle to change the oil in their car, I'm heading to a mates house for drinks later.

He has an intercooled N/A R32. I'll post a pic of his setup.

air -> air or air -> water set-up?

For all the naysayers that would probably struggle to change the oil in their car, I'm heading to a mates house for drinks later.

I hope to god your joking?

So you wern't kidding about making the motor low comp?

Edited by eightsixboy

pics or these kunts will keep doubting! :woot:

• Like 1

I hope to god your joking?

So you wern't kidding about making the motor low comp?

I hope to God that you've never picked a spanner up and used it on a vehicle if you can't understand the simple concept of an intercooled N/A engine.

Why would I bother doing a mini how to if I hadn't seen the results first hand?

Just wait until I get to my mates house and take a pic of his set up. It's very tidy and is a huge improvement over stock.