SAU Community

S2 Rb25Det Cas , Rebuild Or Replace ?

List price through Nissan is $1300 ex Japan ...

Cheap as :P

I always thought the Hitachi CAS was easier to rebuild but apparently not? probably should of had a go at my spare broken CAS today but forgot all about it.

So I pulled one of my spare CAS apart yesturday and all went pretty good, I had to drill the pin that holds the engagement drive out and bent the pickup disc a bit. Not sure if the new sensor comes with a new disc? I was thinking about just using a roll pin (Cutting down to size) in the hole for the engagement drive

Is there any parts list at all for these? Bearings are easy enough to replace but the rest of the stuff not so much

Is there any parts list at all for these? Bearings are easy enough to replace but the rest of the stuff not so much

So bearing is easy enough without doing any damage? My bearing is a little notchy.

you have to pull the engagement drive off the shaft to get one of the bearings off. To do this you need to get the disc out of the sensor. I think you can unscrew half the sensor and just move it away (this is how I did it) but not 100% sure that this doesnt damage the sensor.

Edited by 89CAL

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know if the Hitachi CAS is a direct swap to the Mitsubishi CAS?

I bought a second hand Mitsubishi CAS but the wiring plug is different between the two CAS units. If the wiring pin out is the same i'm thinking about sourcing a plug to rewire the loom to try the Mitsubishi CAS. Plus side would be that you can still buy the Mitsubishi CAS brand new but not the Hitachi.

No they are not. Wiring is least of your problems - wiring needs to be reversed but the drive on the end of the camshaft is different.

Does anyone know if the Hitachi CAS is a direct swap to the Mitsubishi CAS?

I bought a second hand Mitsubishi CAS but the wiring plug is different between the two CAS units. If the wiring pin out is the same i'm thinking about sourcing a plug to rewire the loom to try the Mitsubishi CAS. Plus side would be that you can still buy the Mitsubishi CAS brand new but not the Hitachi.

I'll have to get a Photo of the 2 different CAS i have, both are for the r33 RB25 not the NEO. both have the same shaft that goes into the camshaft.

Just looking at the CAS one has the Mitsubishi logo visible the other does no just a solid metal case.

Did a quick search and found one that i have on my car (1995 R33 S1.5 RB25DET) 104_0638-1.jpg

This is the Mitsubishi CAS that has a different plug to the one above IMG_0405.jpg

No they are not. Wiring is least of your problems - wiring needs to be reversed but the drive on the end of the camshaft is different.

I ended up buying a new one at the time because I needed good signals for and aftermarket brain . People tell me that these CAS units go off over time and most original ones won't be at their best . Lots of heat cycles and bearings wear over time .

New can be expensive but probably the simplest and best result .

A .

I'll have to get a Photo of the 2 different CAS i have, both are for the r33 RB25 not the NEO. both have the same shaft that goes into the camshaft.

Just looking at the CAS one has the Mitsubishi logo visible the other does no just a solid metal case.

Did a quick search and found one that i have on my car (1995 R33 S1.5 RB25DET) 104_0638-1.jpg

This is the Mitsubishi CAS that has a different plug to the one above IMG_0405.jpg

Those are both Mitsubishi CAS and the plug should fit both. I have had both on my car

This is a Hitachi CAS:

Genuine-Nissan-Cam-Crank-Angle-Sensor-23

If the 2 CAS' you have pictured are in any way different, one will be an RB25 CAS and one would possibly be a CA18 CAS

• Like 1

Now i'm confused, i bought a R33 RB25DET CAS of Ebay ( and it is the Mitsubishi logo one but is a diffrent plug.. did CA18s come out with the Mitsubishi ones? im thinking the one from ebay might not be a true rb25 cas but did come with the engine bracket that the cas bolts onto under the timing belt cover which is defiantly for rb25.

Ill get some photos tomorrow if someone could help and confirm if i have the same plug or a different CAS plug.

If the 2 CAS' you have pictured are in any way different, one will be an RB25 CAS and one would possibly be a CA18 CAS

Thanks for confirming, now to see if i can get my money back via PayPal as it was advertised as a RB25 turbo CAS.

Is Kudos Motorsport the cheapest place to buy a CAS brand new? currently $660 http://www.kudosmotorsports.com/catalog/nissan-cam-crank-angle-sensor-cas-genuine-nissan-skyline-r32-gtr-gtst-gts4-gts25-r33-gtr-gts25t-gts4-p-1176.html

The one on the left is an rb25 one. Not sure what the one on the right is off. Z32 or CA18 I guess?